Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Re: Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

I really liked UH when it was released but then i got bored of it and how similar much of it sounded and realized Chuck was much better in my opnion. With that being said i have allready found things that kind of bugs be with SBM aswell, most notably the distortion effects on the vocals.
pescidavid
First name: David
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by pescidavid »

As far as I'm concerned I've always felt Sum 41 over rated this album and the fans under rated it. It wasn't amazing or as deep as Sum 41 continued to say every five seconds but It isn't the garbage that alot of fans claim it is. Admitting for me, I'll say it is their weakest album, but I think the loss of Dave hadn't really sunk in yet and they were a little off. As far as it being a green day rip off, i'll never agree to that. Everyone says it, but it sounded like the same sum 41 to me. Never did i feel I was listening to a green day cd. I think that more of the cd is good than bad. I like all of the songs except dear father, best of me, and March of the dogs. Walking disaster is classic, and speak of the devil is awesome. I think With me is the best on the album. It's such a good song. I also think So long goodbye was a great ending (and no it's not a good riddance rip off. I'm sick of hearing that too) The weakness of the album for me is the repetition in the vocal melodies. I hear walking disaster in dear father, March of the dogs and best of me and i just get pissed off. They just needed to spend a little more time on the song writing. That said I like the rest of the album and I listen to the rest of the tracks all the time. :happy:
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

March of The Dogs and Pull the Curtain are ftw.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

I still love the album, but really only listen to WD, SOTD, and PTC now. I use to listen to WM and BOM alot, but the divorce kinda ruined that. And I play LAM on the guitar almost daily. But through the making of this album I found myself listening to Chuck/DTLI and even HHOP more. I never hated UH, never will, good album, but SBM is a step further.

I will agree with Jer, the pink was annoying.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Pull the Curtain is literally four minutes of pure EPIC.
lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Post by lisaNL »

Gregorovich wrote:Pull the Curtain is literally four minutes of pure EPIC.
Yeah, Pull the Curtain will always be one of my favorite sum 41 songs :cool:
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

Gregorovich wrote:Pull the Curtain is literally four minutes of pure EPIC.
yeah, its my fave song by them, well it might go down after some SBM, but I can't bump it so soon.
fallenchief08
First name: Mike

Post by fallenchief08 »

underclass hero was a solid cd. speak of the devil is one of my fav songs by them.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i51.tinypic.com/2eydic9.png[/imgwidth]
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

SickofEveryone wrote:
Raku wrote:I love this album too, I see no reason for the hate =)

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by UltraKolby »

Underclass Hero is one of my favorite albums. I like how its soft and the songwriting is pretty good, better than I can do. All the songs are awesome, except Dear Father, that song lacks a lot of stuff. My favorite songs off the album is Underclass Hero, With Me, Best of Me, Pull The Curtain, and Confusion and Frustration In Modern Times. I like the pink on the album cover and everything, I think it fits the album.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

I don't mind it, I would just rather listen to something else.
[donate][/donate]
burnout

Post by burnout »

I dont think the album is great but what it did show was how gd a singer deryck has become. it really showcased his vocals and i guess thats why i think its an alright album. really liked best of me and pull the curtain.

i basically think SBM is a combo of UH vocals and Chuck/DTLI riffs
Raku
Ma Poubelle
First name: Scott
PSN ID: MySummerJob
Instrument 1: Vocals
Last.fm Username: MySummerJob
Twitter: MySummerJob

Post by Raku »

Emil wrote:I really liked UH when it was released but then i got bored of it and how similar much of it sounded and realized Chuck was much better in my opnion. With that being said i have allready found things that kind of bugs be with SBM aswell, most notably the distortion effects on the vocals.
Don't hate me, but I'm starting to feel this way with SBM... Maybe I am just listening to it too much?
stevie486
Billy Spleen
First name: Stevie
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by stevie486 »

I liked it, it's a very personal record,
I kinda agree it has some slight green day and MCR phases in couple songs "With Me", Jester & King Of Contradiction" but apart from that it's really good album, softer than what All Killer No Filler was, but yeah I liked the album fine.

I would love if they made an All Killer No Filler/DTLI style album again and this time they got good producer and let womever produce their record instead them cos I think that's what made DTLI / All Killer NO Filler more sucessful, I love new sound cos it's clear and drums sound amazing than they ever have now as well as vocals and everything but perhaps get a damn good producer and make songs a bit faster than All Killer, No Filler type songs as well with DTLI type songs and something new, that would be good.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

finglemaster wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:There were many reasons why I didn't like Underclass Hero. I'm bored enough to list them all again!
  • Over-used chord progressions. Sure, every pop-punk band has used them before, so what's the harm in Sum 41 using them? Well, the fact that it's an over-used chord progression, that's why! No originality.
  • Majority of songs come off as feeling fake and emotionless. The last of Deryck's (frontman of popular band Sum 41) worries is getting "caught living in a dead end job." It's like, "who cares what the song is about, it's catchy!" I expected Dear Father to be a lot more emotional or resentful than it turned out.
  • Too many songs reminded me of other bands' work. I won't get into it for the 41st time.
  • The music is too youthful for how old the band was at the time of writing. It sounds like little kids' music to be honest.
  • The pink on the album was annoying, haha. It has nothing to do with music, but God, that was the ugliest-looking CD of theirs for sure. Big eyesore!
  • The band wanted to push boundaries, but boundaries were hardly jolted sonically speaking. Whenever you hear the band talk about this album, the only thing they really mention is how deep the lyrics went. If you want to talk about breaking boundaries, Screaming Bloody Murder tore down the Berlin Wall.
There were only a few good things to come out of this album and that's the elaborate backing vocals and Pull the Curtain. I never knew Deryck could sing as well as he could.

To me, Screaming Bloody Murder is what Underclass Hero could've and should've been. However, the time and place that Deryck was in his life at the time made that impossible.

Of course, it's all just my opinion, you can take it or leave it, but Underclass Hero is in the past now.
I don't disagree with you, but could you back up your lyrical views on Screaming Bloody Murder with evidence too?
Hm, do you mean what I said in the last bullet? I might've worded that wrong. What I meant to say was that overall, Screaming Bloody Murder stretched the boundaries further than Underclass Hero. Although Underclass Hero's lyrics went deeper than Sum 41 has ever gone, the songs themselves didn't sound like something that was "never heard before".

To me, Screaming Bloody Murder's lyrics are average. They didn't stand out as much as Underclass Hero's, but I believe it's because of the music. It's a guitar-driven album so you notice the music more than the lyrics. However, the way Deryck sings is the difference whether you feel any emotion or not. For example, a lot of the songs on Underclass Hero Deryck just seems to be singing along to a melody whereas Screaming Bloody Murder you can feel the emotion in his voice. I can't explain it, but there have been a couple of album reviewers that had felt the same way.
peacock41
Hooch
First name: Ryan

Post by peacock41 »

im an UH whore