Sum 41 / SBM discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by Andros »

There is a possibility that the 12-minute song is a bonus track, and if that is the case probably the website just wrote the review of the official songs and not the bonus track, because there is space for 12 minutes :D
Last edited by Andros on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jojothebatteur
First name: Jordan
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar-bass
Instrument 3: Piano-vocals

Post by Jojothebatteur »

I'm doing the translation guys! It will be here in 20 minutes ;)
Sum 41 Fr Translator
http://sum41-france.com/
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Jojothebatteur wrote:I'm doing the translation guys! It will be here in 20 minutes ;)
:glad: :glad:
Sam 41
First name: Samuel

Post by Sam 41 »

sum 41 twitter: "Prom photos always look so dated (there's a pun here i think)"

hell yeah everything happens right now :2cool4u:
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Sam 41 wrote:sum 41 twitter: "Prom photos always look so dated (there's a pun here i think)"

Prom doesn't mean promo. It's just a random tweet they tend to do.
Sam 41
First name: Samuel

Post by Sam 41 »

TomiT14 wrote:
Sam 41 wrote:sum 41 twitter: "Prom photos always look so dated (there's a pun here i think)"

Prom doesn't mean promo. It's just a random tweet they tend to do.
you never know.. :winkwink:
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer

Post by Mitchell »

That isn't meant to be promo.. it's probably one of Matt's jokes
omgadam
First name: Adam

Post by omgadam »

sumelf wrote:NICE GOOGLE TRANSLATION OF SONGS DESCRIPTION

upd: I only liked Baby You Don't Wanna Know, "Back Where I Belong" and "Exit Song" descriptions...
Sounds pretty damn sweet! It also sounded as if that reviewer/previewer just wasn't a fan of slower songs, which sometimes actually turn out to be my favorites

Shelley41
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Shelley

Post by Shelley41 »

I am looking forward to all songs. Although this person has wrote negative shit about some songs, I don't care.
Or maybe Google has translated the webpage wrong, i dunno.

SARAH IS MY WIFE. DEAL WITH IT.
http://therearetoomanyurlstaken.tumblr.com/
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

I don't like the titles "Back Where I Belong" or "All Comes to an End". i just find them awkward to say. It seems they are just cut and pasted out of a lyric of the song and not a title that describes the song.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco
First name: David
Instrument 1: Geetar
Instrument 2: Vocalization

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

Hmmm I dnt think I'm gna go with this setlist even if it is reliable n all that I'm just gonna wait n see what ye actual album is like and il still love it regardless if there aint a 12 min song or Skumfuk
Jojothebatteur

Post by Jojothebatteur »

Sum 41's Fifth album, SBM will be available on march 28th in France. two month before it's out, we were able to listen to this album, one of the most waited album of the year. With 14 songs, su 41 is still making some well supplied disks. It's still not the time to make a 10 songs album.

01 - Reason to believe (3:28)
The warlike rythm of the intro of the song immediatly plunges you into the atmosphere: The four punks are doing it right. The sum 41's style fits very well, until this sharp break at the last third of the song : A plesent piano/vocal leads the song to its end. Excellent introduction.

02 - Screaming Bloody Murder (3:24)
No description needed, we all know it! they just say that it's a very good catchy song, like sum 41 are used to do!

03 - All Comes To An End (3:24)
This song is Skumfuk.
You know this on too, but they're describing the intro :
All comes to an end sets a disquieting atmosphere, with a long intro on which you can vocals, a light guitar and some machine sounds. It's 1 minute long, then it beggins with the song that you know, AKA as skumfuk.

04 - Time For You To Go (3:01)
The attack of the guitar/bass/drum of TFYTG is quite disturbing. Sum 41 leaves its magic formula to go with a straighter Rock. The keyboard that comes into the first chorus makes you think of Green Day or The Hives with a voice close to Liam Gallagher's one this time. The first good surprise of the album.

05 - Jessica Kills (2:50)
A sequence of Arpeggios starts the song with an offbeat timing. The Chorus goes straight : 100% Sum 41, in line with songs like Still Waiting or March of the dogs. The pace runs away on the bridge before it calms down with an ultimate chorus that puts everyone in agreement.

06 - What Am I To Say (4:12)
The acoustic guitar of the intro announces the coming of the first mid-tempo of SBM. First slowdown of the album and first deception. Sum 41 should highly refrains this kind of songs.

07 - Crash (3:47)
Fortunately, the lull does not last and the album is back again with Crash, a song built with two parts . a Muse-like piano ends the song well that might be one of the most interresting song of the record...

08 - Sick of it all (3:05)
... which directly connects to Sick of it all. By discovering the tracklist of the album, that title obviously arrested us. Iit a tribute to the New York hardcore band?Here's the answer : Not at all. This has nothing to do with the music of the Koller's brothers. The song's separated between calms verses on which Deryck's voice plays with some piano notes, and a powerful chorus.

09 - Happiness Machines (04:48)
The longest track on the album/ In 5 minutes, sum 41 normally has the time to play two songs, without any doubts. Once again, the intro riff reminds slightly Matthew Bellamy's style. The calm passages of the verses sounds like they're out of The Bends, and it feels like the canadians listened to a lot of British rock while writing SBM. Be carefull, Happiness Machines doesn't sound like Muse, or Radiohead, but some gimmicks can remind you of these two bands.

10 - Over Now (3:16)
The highly feared slow slong comes with this track n°10. Will Sum 41 Succeed or fail like his little friends who allready tried? (Good Charlotte, Simple Plan). Answer : A most annoying "James Blunt like" piano that makes this song pretty useless. Second stumble.

11 - Blood in my Eyes (4:16)
Muse's shadow which will cover Paint it Black of the Rolling Stones might be in this intro. Matthew Bellamy even seams omnipresent on certain clear passages on this ternary song that shows a new facet of the canadian music.

12 - Baby you don't wanna know (3:44)
Rock'n'roll Riffs, claps, tambourins and Hammond Orgue : There's no doubt that sum 41 has decided to explore again the binary sound of their south neighbours. If a video clip had to be filmed, it would obviously represent a bunch of people into a convertible car which will go by the road 66, under a blazing sun.

13 - Back Where I Belong (3:41)
On this penultimate song, Sum 41 is playing some Sum 41. Back to where i belong could have been on the band's third album Chuck, out in 2004.

14 - Exit song (1:42)
While we were expecting a nag song without concession like "Never Wake Up", on AKNF, a calm sound concludes perfectly this very successful fifth's album.

So, here's my little review :
In one had The writter of this review seems to be a douche to me, because is does not seem to see the artistic side of the album, in songs like Over Now or what am i to say. but in the other hand, the descriptions are interesting and brings us some quite precise precisions about the song titles and the songs!

IMO :

12 - Baby you don't wanna know (3:44) will sound like Green day - Horseshoes and hadgrenades
10 - Over Now will be the piano part of this update (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wXrS2c6ixM) at 0:34 and so this song will be amazing and that's why i think that the writter is a douche
06. "What Am I To Say?" (04:12) if this song is going to sound like Some say or even Pieces, well i don't see why this shouldn't sound good...
09. "Happiness Machines" (04:48) scares me a little bit because this songs seems to be a little bite too slow and may confirm use that the sound is gettin' too close to some british pop/rock :s like 04. "Time For You To Go" (03:01)
14. "Exit Song" (01:42) should sound like sleeping away with a good atmosphere and various instruments.
13. "Back Where I Belong" (03:41) will be fucking epic imo
05. "Jessica Kills" (02:50) i think this song was part of Epic, and btw i don't know where this song has gone, so let's hope it's not anymore and that epic will be released on the album or as a bonus track.

That "all" i have to say about it guys ;)

ps : Sorry for that gigantic post!
Sum 41 Fr Translator
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer

Post by Mitchell »

Awesome :glad:
Jojothebatteur

Post by Jojothebatteur »

blackhawk1105 wrote:Awesome :glad:
yeah that's exactly what i'm thinking about this album, full of various styles and instruments!
ps : sorry for all of those inattentiveness mistakes :silly:
Sum 41 Fr Translator
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Cool. The descriptions sound interesting, but I'm kind of disappointed this guy didn't like the slower songs/ballads. Maybe he just prefers the faster-paced Sum 41? Anyway, all the Muse comparisons are probable since I definitely felt a Muse vibe in that "I don't believe/In ignorance no more/Ourselves we deceive" clip. The riff that backs up the vocals sounds pretty Muse-y. Muse is an epic band though, so I'm really excited to hear this album.

Like Deryck said, there is more piano on this record than ever before. I'm really hoping there's some nice melodies rather than him just banging out chords over and over again (see "Always").
dirk
Bunkface
First name: dirk

Post by dirk »

wh0 = the guy who did wrote this all

is he some 'paparazzi'
lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Post by lisaNL »

Thanks for the translation! Awesome. Now I'm even more excited.. I hate waiting -.-
punkbizzy
Bunkface
First name: Tiago

Post by punkbizzy »

Thank you for translating it :D
sumelf
Hooch
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by sumelf »

This translation made me to change my opinion about album! Fucking amazing! Thank you:)
Jojothebatteur

Post by Jojothebatteur »

punkbizzy wrote:Thank you for translating it :D
you're welcome i'm glad we (sum 41 france) can share this news with you guys ;)
you should learn Le Français, it seems like we've got some interesting news from sum 41 before you :p (just kidding)
Sum 41 Fr Translator