TNS Interview With Sum 41: February 2011

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek
Re: TNS Interview With Sum 41: February 2011

Post by kILLDR3n »

If they make a new live thing they better put it out on Blu-Ray as well because DVD last gen and shitty now.
Pocket Monkey
First name: David
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Pocket Monkey »

1. Hey Deryck, what do you think of Avril's shitty new song/video? :devious: pretty slutty eh? I love the obvious sell-out advertisements throughout it don't you?
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Pocket Monkey wrote:1. Hey Deryck, what do you think of Avril's shitty new song/video? :devious: pretty slutty eh? I love the obvious sell-out advertisements throughout it don't you?
This XD

And oh yeah a live video with blu-ray quality would be so rad that even Stevo would jizz to it :D

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
stevie486
Billy Spleen
First name: Stevie
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by stevie486 »

Live Blu-ray would be immense ! :silly:

edit on my question:

When are you guys planning to do and release a new live DVD, also on Blu-ray so we can watch in sweet HD?
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

TomiT14 wrote:We haven't heard With Me or Some Say in years, and it takes a lot for Deryck to play Pieces, so I think it's clear that they won't play any slow songs any time soon, especially ones that haven't been played before (not talking about new songs from SBM).
It takes a lot for Deryck to play Pieces? Really? I've never heard this before. I at least wanna hear Pieces once live. It's one of my favourites.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

here's an honest question(s):

would you guys ever consider doing a split EP, where you and another band cover 2 of each others songs, and if yes, with whom?

also, you guys have covered master of puppets which is a fairly long song at 8 minutes, would you ever cover "2112" by Rush, a song that is over 20 minuets ?
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

SumGeek wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:We haven't heard With Me or Some Say in years, and it takes a lot for Deryck to play Pieces, so I think it's clear that they won't play any slow songs any time soon, especially ones that haven't been played before (not talking about new songs from SBM).
It takes a lot for Deryck to play Pieces? Really? I've never heard this before. I at least wanna hear Pieces once live. It's one of my favourites.
Those kind of songs are not that fun to perform in the middle of playing a high energy show. First of all they can be a real mood killer depending on the current state of mind or the audience and then you also have to calm yourself down to even be able to sing it with the right feeling.
I was actually surprised that they started playing Pieces again, but I'm pretty sure we won't here "With Me" anytime soon (or may be even ever again).
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Simon wrote:
SumGeek wrote:
Those kind of songs are not that fun to perform in the middle of playing a high energy show. First of all they can be a real mood killer depending on the current state of mind or the audience and then you also have to calm yourself down to even be able to sing it with the right feeling.
I was actually surprised that they started playing Pieces again, but I'm pretty sure we won't here "With Me" anytime soon (or may be even ever again).
Yeah, I was thinking that but sometimes you need a song like that in the set. I think it's more realistic if we heard Pieces over With Me.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

SumGeek wrote:
Simon wrote:
SumGeek wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking that but sometimes you need a song like that in the set. I think it's more realistic if we heard Pieces over With Me.
I saw them three times last year. They didn't play Pieces in any of them, although it was included in the setlist in all of them.

In Helsinki, Pieces was replaced by Paint It Black. I asked Deryck why did he change it, he said "I didn't feel like playing it".
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

2712 wrote:also, you guys have covered master of puppets which is a fairly long song at 8 minutes, would you ever cover "2112" by Rush, a song that is over 20 minuets ?
Lol, if they did 2112 I would wet myself, but it's a fantasy :sosad: It would take up nearly half their show as well :hehe:

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

2712 wrote:also, you guys have covered master of puppets which is a fairly long song at 8 minutes, would you ever cover "2112" by Rush, a song that is over 20 minuets ?
They have never covered the full Master Of Puppets in a Sum 41 show. They've only played it fully once, and it was the Hoodwink festival, where they played only Metallica covers.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

^
No, there were some other shows at the North American tour in 2009 that they covered the whole song. It was around the Hoodwink show... before or after or whatever but they did so.
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

Yes I was pretty sure they covered it fully in another show other than the Hoodwink one. So that is correct, bonus point for you :hehe:
Last edited by MetalMilitant41 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

TomiT14 wrote:
They have never covered the full Master Of Puppets in a Sum 41 show. They've only played it fully once, and it was the Hoodwink festival, where they played only Metallica covers.
i know... they've still played the whole thing at least once and we know that they could again.

also i think maybe if they we're to ever cover rush, they might cover Far Cry or One Little Victory, which would still be pretty cool!
Last edited by Dylan on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me on Twitter!
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Can't really imagine Sum 41 cover Rush haha, but they could give their own personal take on a Rush song.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Goddammit.. I had an awesome question and I forgot it..
Faeyaner
Bunkface

Post by Faeyaner »

Sth I always wanted to know that just popped into my mind right now:
Who or what fucked up Stevo's mic live in the first few years?

And have they any plans what to do after the SBM-World Tour (like side projects, breaks with family, on tour for five or more years, direct new album eg.)
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Hentaiman wrote:^
No, there were some other shows at the North American tour in 2009 that they covered the whole song. It was around the Hoodwink show... before or after or whatever but they did so.
Did they? I've never seen/heard them play it anywhere else. Where did you find this?
Luciano41

Post by Luciano41 »

Deryck are you going to change your set up live? Since you have changed guitars often between albums :)
S+U+M = 41
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

Hentaiman wrote:Can't really imagine Sum 41 cover Rush haha, but they could give their own personal take on a Rush song.
exactly, i think it could be cool. very few bands have covered Rush though loads of them love and respect Rush. but i doubt sum 41 would ever cover Rush. Im sure in the first radio interview/ podcast we heard Underclass Hero Deryck said something about not liking Rush? could be wrong though.

Follow me on Twitter!