Why haven't they been in the spotlight since 2001?

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek
Re: Why haven't they been in the spotlight since 2001?

Post by kILLDR3n »

SumGeek wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:I agree with Jeremy, but in all honestly, I don't care if they are in this spotlight or not. As long as they make the music, go on tour, make stupid videos. I will be quite happy :D
This. As long as we recognize their talent, then to hell with everyone else and their radio friendly hits and criticism. I think once SBM is released it will help. It's supposed to be groundbreaking after all. I don't think they've always been out of the spotlight. Especially not in Canada. The last thing I've seen as far as media and what not was on tv back in August when the album was "supposed to be released." haha. I think Warped Tour definately was a big thing for them this year besides the upcoming album.
I saw a MTV news thing the other day that mentioned Warped Tour this year and they said the most popular bands this year were All American Rejects and like two other bands. Didn't say a thing about Sum 41.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

kILLDR3n wrote:
SumGeek wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:I agree with Jeremy, but in all honestly, I don't care if they are in this spotlight or not. As long as they make the music, go on tour, make stupid videos. I will be quite happy :D
This. As long as we recognize their talent, then to hell with everyone else and their radio friendly hits and criticism. I think once SBM is released it will help. It's supposed to be groundbreaking after all. I don't think they've always been out of the spotlight. Especially not in Canada. The last thing I've seen as far as media and what not was on tv back in August when the album was "supposed to be released." haha. I think Warped Tour definately was a big thing for them this year besides the upcoming album.
I saw a MTV news thing the other day that mentioned Warped Tour this year and they said the most popular bands this year were All American Rejects and like two other bands. Didn't say a thing about Sum 41.
That's weird. Sum 41 said out of all the years they've been on Warped Tour, 2010 was the one that had the biggest crowds for them. I can say that. They were pretty much the most well known band there and that's been around the longest this year.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

And still, with all that, they played on a small stage and only a 30 min set, which they haven't even used right and played barely 7-8 songs per set, because of the extended bridge in Welcome to Hell, etc.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

SumGeek wrote:
kILLDR3n wrote:
SumGeek wrote:
That's weird. Sum 41 said out of all the years they've been on Warped Tour, 2010 was the one that had the biggest crowds for them. I can say that. They were pretty much the most well known band there and that's been around the longest this year.
And that's what I mean. They were the most popular band I think on the tour this year. I went to the show in MD. People were only talking about them really and they weren't on main stage but used the amphitheater and brought in a huge crowd.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Hentaiman wrote:And still, with all that, they played on a small stage and only a 30 min set, which they haven't even used right and played barely 7-8 songs per set, because of the extended bridge in Welcome to Hell, etc.
yeah that's why I wrote back then when WT was actual that this fucking festival sucks ...people didn't agree with me XD
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

^
It sucks they give more space and time to bands that are more mainstream and more popular now, like Attack Attack! or 3OH!3 (who have nothing to do with punk/rock/hardcore) , and although they still give space and time for older and more known and established bands to play (Sum 41, Pennywise), if the band isn't that popular or mainstream now, they get like 30 mins and a small stage.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

It was the same with Sum 41 back in 2001, once Fat Lip took off they were moved up to the major stage because they were the hottest act out there then.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

yeah but were all those bands really the hottest act there ??? somebody here keeps saying that Sum 41 had the biggest crowd all the time ...

WT is not what it used to be ...it has nothing to do with punk,rock or anything like that anymore...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Sum 41 will have a comeback soon, just having a feeling.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Memoire
First name: Sven

Post by Memoire »

FakeNinja wrote:Sum 41 will have a comeback soon, just having a feeling.
i dont think so..i dont believe that screaming bloody murder,the single,will be on mtv or in the radio..image you sit in your car listening to the radio.you always hear lady gaga,black eyed peas,lady gaga..the dark sound of their new album wont fit in the mainstream..dont think that i dont want sum to be in the radio,it would be great if people would know who sum41 is :D

..but screaming bloody murder on the radio?not realistic i think.
patenttiftw
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Post by patenttiftw »

Yeah well, Screaming Bloody Murder is a good song, no doubt, but it's not a huge hit for radio or anything, just saying. I felt Underclass Hero to be a better single than this one to be honest. Hope there's some better single material on the album than this, otherwise this one's gonna fail on the sale market. Yellowcard's new single was much better IMO so the sums are gonna be screwed if there isn't any catch in the rest of the songs.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

patenttiftw wrote:Yeah well, Screaming Bloody Murder is a good song, no doubt, but it's not a huge hit for radio or anything, just saying. I felt Underclass Hero to be a better single than this one to be honest. Hope there's some better single material on the album than this, otherwise this one's gonna fail on the sale market. Yellowcard's new single was much better IMO so the sums are gonna be screwed if there isn't any catch in the rest of the songs.
If they'd mix Fat Lip with Underclass Hero and No Reason, imagine that!

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

It might have a few plays of Kerrang Radio but I doubt it will be broadcast much on the "hits" radio in the UK anyway unless it is maybe requested.
[donate][/donate]
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco
First name: David
Instrument 1: Geetar
Instrument 2: Vocalization

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:It might have a few plays of Kerrang Radio but I doubt it will be broadcast much on the "hits" radio in the UK anyway unless it is maybe requested.
TNS should totally start up there own radio station!!

I think it will only get played on Kerrang! Once without request as its a new single after that i cant see it getting much radio time
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

It all depends on how the band is advertised. Underclass Hero had shit-all for advertising and hardly any of their songs got played on the radio (especially after Deryck's hernia). I never once heard Walking Disaster on the radio here.

Plus, if people want to hear it, they will request it. If there's ever one of those request hour shows on and you don't bother emailing or phoning in to get Screaming Bloody Murder some airplay, then you'll just have to sit and listen to some shitty song some other guy picks, haha.
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I never once heard Walking Disaster on the radio here.
in our country music video for WD actually won the charts twice, which I don't get because I don't think they are so famous around here.. Didn't find anyone in a whole region who would like to go on a show.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

gejmik wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:I never once heard Walking Disaster on the radio here.
in our country music video for WD actually won the charts twice, which I don't get because I don't think they are so famous around here.. Didn't find anyone in a whole region who would like to go on a show.
yeah but when it came to the show,there were more than 1 thousand people and they played two shows in a row and that makes more than 2 thousand fans :winkwink:
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Well guys, they're not trying to make music for the radio, you know? They're just making the music they love to and if it gets radio play and becomes a huge hit then thats the added bonus.

and I think I only heard "With Me" once or twice on the radio.
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

simply because none of their albums have been as widely friendly as all killer, since all killer. they also had all the teens listening to that, it was played on american pie which most teens watched, and shit like that. like, everybody knows in too deep and fat lip, i guess to me they seem more likeable to a wider audience. even sometimes i don't like listening to dtli or chuck because it's a bit of a downer
Pocket Monkey
First name: David
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Pocket Monkey »

I'd rather have them continue making hard rock/metal albums. Back in 2001 (i was 6 or 7)i hated All Killer No Filler and i still don't like it that much to this day (other then Motivation and Heart Attack) I feel as if they made that album because they wanted money and to get known so they can make more albums (i don't blame them) the songs don't really have much of a meaning other then "Yeah! We hate our parents and following rules! Uh-oh i have girl problems!" I fell in love with there other albums though.

Its just because they are not radio friendly, would you expect a Justin Bieber or Ke$ha fan to love songs like No Reason, Billy Spleen, or Screaming Bloody Murder? Pretty much anything with a guitar that is not pop is not popular now at days.