Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Re: Don't blame Sum 41, but....

Post by Boni »

I think what people have to relies if record labels usual give bands a time-deadline for when the album has to be ready. That's why it takes some bands 1-3 months to complete an album. Sum 41 weren't given a deadline, first they went in to record an EP and decided let's make an album instead and without the time constraint hanging over their head they took their time.
[donate][/donate]
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

Ah, Rise Against. Megadeth only released an album called Endgame like a year and a half back.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Gregorovich wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:It makes me think that when Deryck said "It's safe to say it will be out this year (2009)" was when they thought the album was ready, when really it wasn't, so they went and recorded more songs.

Had the band not gone back and recorded more songs, I think they could've released this album in 2010.
This also happened when they got back from their first Euro tour in May/June 2010. They recorded couple of more songs then. But even still, they were done recording in the end of June. So if label wanted, they'd still have had time to release the record in 2010.
Would you rather have a better album, or an earlier album? Im with the Sums on this, good things come to those who wait. Hell, if i was an extremely talented kinda-famous rockstar i would take my time making an album the best i could and have so much fun along the way :)
It depends. The longer you hold onto an album, the more you can doubt yourself and change things in songs that would've maybe benefitted the song better. Working an album into the ground usually doesn't make it better - case in point, Guns N' Roses and Chinese Democracy. That album was in the works for 14 or so years, so it should've been an amazing album, but when it came out, all it was was a mediocre record.

Does This Look Infected was written in two months or less and the band plays more songs off that album than they do Underclass Hero (which is, so far, the album they have put the most effort in).
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:It makes me think that when Deryck said "It's safe to say it will be out this year (2009)" was when they thought the album was ready, when really it wasn't, so they went and recorded more songs.

Had the band not gone back and recorded more songs, I think they could've released this album in 2010.
This also happened when they got back from their first Euro tour in May/June 2010. They recorded couple of more songs then. But even still, they were done recording in the end of June. So if label wanted, they'd still have had time to release the record in 2010.
Would you rather have a better album, or an earlier album? Im with the Sums on this, good things come to those who wait. Hell, if i was an extremely talented kinda-famous rockstar i would take my time making an album the best i could and have so much fun along the way :)
It depends. The longer you hold onto an album, the more you can doubt yourself and change things in songs that would've maybe benefitted the song better. Working an album into the ground usually doesn't make it better - case in point, Guns N' Roses and Chinese Democracy. That album was in the works for 14 or so years, so it should've been an amazing album, but when it came out, all it was was a mediocre record.

Does This Look Infected was written in two months or less and the band plays more songs off that album than they do Underclass Hero (which is, so far, the album they have put the most effort in).
Once again,I must agree with Jeremy...Isn't he just smart ? add his funny videos,his talent in making music and you must regret that you're not gay(I didn't mention your looks,cause then everyone would really think that I am gay)...
I just wanted to say that actually the shit about waiting and getting good things comes from the label,not Sum 41r
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Kano
King of Contradiction
First name: Kane
Instrument 1: Vocals
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Kano »

I prefer them not releasing stuff, deep down it hurts heaps. but at the end of the day its better.
listening to a album full is so much different. when i bought Underclass Hero for example
i had listened to all the tracks released before the actual album (underclass hero, walking disaster and With me) i think thats all..
and those songs seemed to be apart from the album.
thats just me.

Bad To The Cone
J-Pan Is My noob
http://www.myspace.com/patofplan
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah, with UH I already heard the title track, Walking Disaster, MOTD and CYLB, so It sucked cuz it only had like 9 new tracks for me.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Gregorovich wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:

In this case, Sums were done recording in June, so the album hasn't gotten any better since then. So even if it was released last year, it would've been the exact same album than the one we're getting this year.

But generally, of course I'd want the best music. I have no issue with them going back to rewrite and re-record things. But what I don't agree is that they were done recording in June 2010, and we're getting the album 9 months after as its earliest. That's hell of a lot of waiting, compared to the other bands listed on the first page.
Hentaiman wrote:Yeah, with UH I already heard the title track, Walking Disaster, MOTD and CYLB, so It sucked cuz it only had like 9 new tracks for me.
But that was your own choice to listen to the leaks. :silly:
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Listening to leaks is perfectly okay as long as you treat leaks as leaks and not as the final product.
When people criticize things they have to count in all the variables.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

The reason that DRUGS is releasing music so soon is because they don't have ANY music that people know yet, and they need SOMETHING for people to be into when they are playing live.

When I saw DRUGS, the only songs that ANYONE in the crowd knew were Thermacare and If You Think This Song..., and those were the two that everyone got into the most and the atmosphere was the best for.

Bands like Sum 41 already have a full collections of songs to pick from that can generate crowd energy.

Bands like DRUGS are just starting out and have absolutely nothing on their resume that you'd know. That's why they had to release those songs.

They released both of them to promote themselves for their first tour.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

UltraKolby wrote:Well look on the positive side, if the album is taking awhile to be release, that means its going to f#@king rock!!!!
Yes! this is the way I look at it. They fixed a few songs and added more because they wanted to make sure they are giving us the best album they can give and that's what really matters. We want them to be satisfied with the end results as much as we will be. And vise versa. They will be satisfied with the album more so if we are.