How to write songs?

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

How to write songs?

Post by Faeyaner »

I'm really interested in how you would proceed in order to write a complete song for a full band (Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Drums, maybe Keyboard). How would you start?
- lyrics ?
- chords ?
- melodies & riffs ?
- somethings else ?
And how would you go on?

And btw, what do you think is Deryck doing when he's about writing new songs?
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Re: How to write songs?

Post by lisaNL »

I think Deryck start with the lyrics and then he writes the guitar parts.
Madjid

Post by Madjid »

Some of the members here write awesome stuff, Jeremy and Heather can help you out.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/upload ... nwomen.jpg[/imgwidth]

OWNED
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

lisaNL wrote:I think Deryck start with the lyrics and then he writes the guitar parts.
I thought it's the exact opposite? First comes the music, then lyrics (DTLI demos, SBM the song).
Or the lyrics come as he writes the music. But I don't think the lyrics are first.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

TomiT14 wrote:
lisaNL wrote:I think Deryck start with the lyrics and then he writes the guitar parts.
I thought it's the exact opposite? First comes the music, then lyrics (DTLI demos, SBM the song).
Or the lyrics come as he writes the music. But I don't think the lyrics are first.
He usually has an idea of what the lyrics should mean and he has a melody before he writes the music.. but he finishes the lyrics when the song is done.. before recording the vocals it's usually all gibberish
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Faeyaner »

TomiT14 wrote: I thought it's the exact opposite? First comes the music, then lyrics (DTLI demos, SBM the song).
Yeah, remember this weird demo-version of over my head...
But you cannot conclude wheather there are lyrics before he starts writing the actual music.

Btw, does Deryck leave Cone much space for his bass stuff? Cause I remember that Deryck has always an idea of how the drums should be (and Stevo does almost agree with this), so is Cone allowed to be creative or does he just sups the guitar all the time?
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

I believe D starts with music then adds lyrics, since thats the last thing he's working on with vocals. But I do think like Mitchell said, he has an idea. I think in one video he said some of the songs just came instantly with melodies, vocals and lyrics.

Personally, its pretty much the same way with stuff I write. I have melodies that went through 5 versions of lyrics and vocals and some times a song comes all at once within 30 min. I haven't been able to record drums and such, so Jeremy can help you with that.

If you're asking for advice, I would start with some chords that feel right and just say whatever comes out, don't think about it
BrandonCorey
Ma Poubelle

Post by BrandonCorey »

Some people write songs in different ways, espicially depending on what type of music you're playing. But honestly for most rock music and think the best thing to do is pick up a guitar )or piana/keyboard), play a chord progression and sing along and make up a vocal melody. When you start to form a melody you will have an idea on some lyrics or a general idea of what the song will be about. The chord progression and melody is the foundation of your song. Once this is complete just work on each instrument's part. I'm pretty sure Deryck starts with a chord progression and a melody.
BrandonCorey
Ma Poubelle

Post by BrandonCorey »

I'd leave drums and bass for last because they usually play in pocket. Lead guitar riffs also help form the song so starting with that is a good idea too.

-By the way, all this is coming from a drummer who writes complete songs for three different bands.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

My process involves goofing around with the guitar until I find something I think sounds cool and then I build on that. I record the guitar parts as I write the song and it's all really trial and error for me and finding what chords flow best. I just add drums from a drum machine to give me an idea of what attitude I want the drums to have during certain parts. I don't own a bass, so I don't have bass guitar in my songs. I have no vocals because I have no way to record them. If I did, I would just sing a melody over the guitar parts and have it recorded, then write lyrics to that melody.

As for Deryck, I think at the rawest he picks up a guitar, strums a chord progression and sings a melody to it. Much like in the studio update where he was outside writing Skumfuk.
Faeyaner wrote:Btw, does Deryck leave Cone much space for his bass stuff? Cause I remember that Deryck has always an idea of how the drums should be (and Stevo does almost agree with this), so is Cone allowed to be creative or does he just sups the guitar all the time?
Before Underclass Hero, it seemed Cone had a lot of room to be creative. Listen to songs like Over My Head, Welcome to Hell and almost every song from All Killer and you can hear the bass play something. On Underclass Hero, the bass was strictly just the foundation of every song (as I saw it anyway), only playing the root notes of the guitar. This is evident by the argument Deryck and Cone have in the Making of Underclass Hero.

However, on Screaming Bloody Murder, it sounds like Cone has a lot more space to move around. Just listen to Skumfuk and you'll know.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Octaves is your friend. Sounds cooler than regular powerchords and is super easy to play.
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

i've written 20+ complete songs (all parts btw, i play guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, and sing), and on all but 1 occasion, i've written the music before the lyrics. but just know that there's no set rules on how to write songs, as long as they're good.