Sum 41 / SBM discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Name
Bunkface
First name: Dave
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Drums

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by Name »

blackhawk1105 wrote:They said 14 when they were in the early stages of recording.. but Deryck decided to write and record a few more songs.. He has written more than 30 songs.. so they are able to release 2 albums if they want to..
I would LOVE it if they released a double album without telling us
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

I'm hoping we get a good few b-sides during this album cycle.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Bobby Skumfuk James wrote:maybe they'll release something on Saturday as a Christmas present for all us Sum 41 fans!
I hope so, that's like a Christmas present or maybe a New Year present for the loooooooooooong wait :hehe:
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Lars wrote:Yeah, maybe he has, but there's a lot of stuff that wouldn't make the record. Like the song Cone wrote, or like the music that was playing in one of the early updates "I don't know if the music you're hearing right now will even make the record".

So yes, he has written many songs, but that's not a certitude for a lot of songs on the album. Unfortunately.
I would love to hear those other songs even though they think that the songs that made the album are better
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

Andros wrote:
Bobby Skumfuk James wrote:maybe they'll release something on Saturday as a Christmas present for all us Sum 41 fans!
I hope so, that's like a Christmas present or maybe a New Year present for the loooooooooooong wait :hehe:
I'd settle for a New Years Day present!
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Name wrote::devious: Im going to laugh my ass off if Sum41 was just fucking with us and gave us a 3-4 minute song with 9 minutes of silence xD

Most likely it will be free but i would gladly pay 0.99 cents-1.29 for 12 minutes of sum 41 goodness.

Anyways, does anybody have any ideas on what this song might/should sound like? lol i would LOVE 12 minutes of epicness, it killing me because i never heard a sum song longer then 4:00 (not counting the Master Of Puppets cover) and i just wanna hear how it would turn out
Yeah, I hope it doesn't have a long drawn out intro and outro, but if it's a musical journey like Stairway to Heaven or Death Cab's I Will Possess Your Heart, then I'm cool with that. As long as it's epic and no part was repeated for the sake of "having a really long song." I would also gladly drop some bones for the song if they decide to not release it for free!

As for what the song actually sounds like, all we really have is what this girl Lex (who is a columnist for Pulp Magazine) told us from her experience of hearing the band's soundcheck where they played the 12-minute song without Deryck present. It's mostly in this thread here: http://theresnosolution.com/forum/viewt ... =4&t=12889

http://www.pulpmagazinelive.com/?p=407
Lex about the 12-minute song wrote:yeah, i don't think i could compare it properly without having heard the vocals.

but, it was definitely more metal sounding than jesus of suburbia. darker than jesus of suburbia.

do you know the breakdown of 88? da-da-da-da da-da-da-da da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da where stevo plays the snare drum, sounding like a machine gun? they did that for a while in the middle.

there were no individual instrument solos. i didn't even hear a guitar solo... i hope it's cause tom didn't play it and just played the rhythm. but there were many cool riffs. including one that was pull the curtain esque, where they were emphasising the off beat or the "and". they also seemed to copy/adapt the syncopated refrain of metallica's battery. da da-da-da da-da (snare crash-crash-crash snare-crash) only did it once though.

there were definitely more feel changes than jesus of suburbia. i just loved it when the song was in 6/8... way more complex than with me was, in that respect. and i think it had a cooler build up. an excellent crescendo which led into a guitar riff for 4 bars or so, then cone and stevo came back in with a bang. just imagine all the feels sum 41 have done: motivation intro, still waiting main riff, in too deep verse, pieces chorus, 88 breakdown, no brains bridge (there seemed to be many bridges), we're all to blame chorus (but on crashes instead of ride), ... and string all that together, but sounding much more progressive than these songs do!

i bet it will be better than jesus of suburbia.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

if it's anything like Jimmy Eat World's Goodbye Sky Harbor then it will be pointless.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Name wrote:i never heard a sum song longer then 4:00
4:18 - Pull The Curtain
4:25 - Best Of Me
4:39 - 88
4:46 - Walking Disaster
4:51 - With Me
5:11 - WWVII

Boy, you've missed a lot.
Name
Bunkface

Post by Name »

TomiT14 wrote:

oh ive heard all those song xD i meant to put longer then 5:00 (other then WWVII)
Last edited by Name on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

TomiT14 wrote:

for someone that doesn't like long-ish songs, its weird that my fave songs on UC (minus SOTD) and 2nd fave on Chuck are 4min + Never really noticed that... I usually get bored after 3:50
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

as ballsy an idea a 12-minute song is, i'm pretty weary about it. there are some occasions where like 8+ minute songs work (master of puppets is 8:35 and worth every second), but then again some songs like that just DRAG ON if they get too long (oasis' "all around the world" for example; and i don't even wanna hear any 'oasis suck anyway' stuff, cuz they're amazing). but that was just one example. there are plenty of songs that are simply too long (some smashing pumpkins stuff, like "silverfuck" or "porcelina of the vast oceans" for instance). and none of those songs i listed are even 10 minutes - imagine an extra 2 or 3 on top of that. again, it is sum 41, who tend to kick ass, but 12 minutes is VERY long for a single song, so i'm definitely a little hesitant about the idea.
shadowred3
First name: jonah

Post by shadowred3 »

i think they can pull it off. and your right some bands just can't pull off long ass songs but look at greenday. jesus of surburbia is by far one of thier best songs and it dont get old cause it catchy. it could either fail horibly or suceed greatly. im thinking sucess :devious:
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

shadowred3 wrote:i think they can pull it off. and your right some bands just can't pull off long ass songs but look at greenday. jesus of surburbia is by far one of thier best songs and it dont get old cause it catchy. it could either fail horibly or suceed greatly. im thinking sucess :devious:
Agreed! It's something they haven't done before so of course we're gonna be a little worried on how this is gonna sound, but they can certainly pull it off. I'd say maybe 8 years ago they couldn't of, but they've progressed so much to a point where I think their capable of doing a 12 min song.
Name
Bunkface

Post by Name »

dbauer91 wrote:as ballsy an idea a 12-minute song is, i'm pretty weary about it. there are some occasions where like 8+ minute songs work (master of puppets is 8:35 and worth every second), but then again some songs like that just DRAG ON if they get too long (oasis' "all around the world" for example; and i don't even wanna hear any 'oasis suck anyway' stuff, cuz they're amazing). but that was just one example. there are plenty of songs that are simply too long (some smashing pumpkins stuff, like "silverfuck" or "porcelina of the vast oceans" for instance). and none of those songs i listed are even 10 minutes - imagine an extra 2 or 3 on top of that. again, it is sum 41, who tend to kick ass, but 12 minutes is VERY long for a single song, so i'm definitely a little hesitant about the idea.
I think Sum 41 could pull it off. The reason some bands suck at making 6:00+ songs is because bands don't bring anything new to the song, they would be much better off as 3 or 4 minutes. Jesus of Suburbia kind of got boring for me after 4 mins. According the the woman who heard it, it was very diverse and it switched things up often. Sum 41 seems to know what they are doing. and yes i dont think they would be able to pull this off if it was still 2001, they've gotten a million times better since then.

I guess we just have to wait and see eventually.

P.S. what could Deryck sing about for 12 minutes? It probably has to be a complex subject.
Last edited by Name on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
keefer
First name: Keefe

Post by keefer »

Let's jack this thread to 200 pages of posts and maybe we'll get a surprise!
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

keefer wrote:Let's jack this thread to 200 pages of posts and maybe we'll get a surprise!
i already called it - we'll get an official release date (3/15/11 i'm guessing) when the url ends w/ '4100' (it's on 3940 now).
keefer
First name: Keefe

Post by keefer »

So close, yet so far away.. maybe we should start a Screaming Bloody Murder conspiracy theory and get Jesse Ventura to dig up some unknown information about the album? Just a thought.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

This is a cool live video of Skumfuk from when they played in Poland. Deryck's using the same Telecaster he uses for when they play Pieces! I'm not sure if he's been doing that a lot lately.

@1:24 really reminded me of the part in my Skumfuk fan video actually, haha!
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

fenderrocks wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:

for someone that doesn't like long-ish songs, its weird that my fave songs on UC (minus SOTD) and 2nd fave on Chuck are 4min + Never really noticed that... I usually get bored after 3:50
oh shit it's not looking good for the 12 minute song, considering the only really good song in there is 88
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Lars wrote:"I don't know if the music you're hearing right now will even make the record".
they would piss me off if the music from that update wouldn't make it to the record ....I used to listen to that update everyday
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge