Why haven't they been in the spotlight since 2001?

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Name
Bunkface
First name: Dave
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Drums

Why haven't they been in the spotlight since 2001?

Post by Name »

Honestly i don't see why these guys never get recognition. They are a hell of a lot better then most bands/artists out today and so far they have not released a bad album(UH was okay but not bad). What was the reason for there decline in fame?
Jeremy Kill
Re: Why haven't they been in the spotlight since 2001?

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Here's what I think: They got lucky. I don't mean that in a cruel way at all, but in regards to being in the spotlight, they kind of lucked out with the big pop-punk explosion of the early 2000's. They signed to a Island because they were seen as Blink-182's kid brother and the first single they put out under that label just happened to strike a chord with its listeners. Just think: who'd be listening to pop-punk at this time? Pre-teens and teens who are feeling rebellious. Factor in that All Killer was actually a great album and you have the formula to being a mainstream success. It's like Deryck has said in recent past interviews that the band couldn't be as big as they are now if they hadn't started when they did. It was essentially the right place at the right time.

I also think that part of the decline of All Killer fame was the band always changing their musical style in each album. I think Does This Look Infected is their worst-selling album to date. My guess is that to most people, it wasn't Fat Lip and it wasn't that happy, summer-esque music that was in All Killer. Whatever success Chuck gained can be attributed to Pieces, the radio-friendly wonder, but I still enjoy that song. But I think Chuck was overshadowed by Green Day's American Idiot, the biggest album at that time most likely.

Underclass Hero did poorly because of the lack of promotion. It seemed like the band started off strong until Deryck herniated his back. Once they finally got back to touring, it's like fans stopped caring. Radio stations stopped playing their singles (I heard With Me on the radio one time and Underclass Hero twice. The first time was because I sent in like 50 email requests to hear it) and venues were being downsized because of a lack of ticket sales.

tl;dr

Changing musical styles, Deryck's back, poor promotion on Underclass Hero, they did not recreate All Killer No Filler.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:words
Well said. Couldn't come up with a better explanation myself.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

yea, what Jeremy said. AKNF came out at exactly the right time.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

I agree with Jeremy, but in all honestly, I don't care if they are in this spotlight or not. As long as they make the music, go on tour, make stupid videos. I will be quite happy :D
[donate][/donate]
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:I agree with Jeremy, but in all honestly, I don't care if they are in this spotlight or not. As long as they make the music, go on tour, make stupid videos. I will be quite happy :D
True this. To be honest, I don't want them to be any more popular. Like you said, they're already touring around the world with still making new material, so there's no need to become more mainstream.
Shelley41
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Shelley

Post by Shelley41 »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:I agree with Jeremy, but in all honestly, I don't care if they are in this spotlight or not. As long as they make the music, go on tour, make stupid videos. I will be quite happy :D
Exactly. And I think they don't care that much either, right? As long as they have their true fans still with them.

SARAH IS MY WIFE. DEAL WITH IT.
http://therearetoomanyurlstaken.tumblr.com/
Madjid

Post by Madjid »

Name wrote:Honestly i don't see why these guys never get recognition. They are a hell of a lot better then most bands/artists out today.
There you go, you just answered your own question,being a mainstream artist doesn't necessarely mean you're good, maybe you just have epic boobs, like Katy Perry does.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/upload ... nwomen.jpg[/imgwidth]

OWNED
lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Post by lisaNL »

I'm kinda glad they're not as popular as other bands.
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Me too, I can't even imagine the nightmare if they were as popular as Green Day... It would definately be different for everyone, and not in a good way I think
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

I hope that they're not getting mainstream..
cause if they do you're gonna get those assholes telling you that they've been a huge fan since all killer and claiming to know everything about Sum 41
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Jeremy FTW !

and you other guys suck :P but seriously how can you give a fuck about their popularity ??As long as they will not be popular for computerized voices,dressing in meat or nobody else will write lyrics and music for them,then I will not give a fuck ...and if anyone who has started to listen to them the day he met you will say that he´s a true fan,well,who gives a fuck about him ? XD
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

I hate how bands get too popular because of one song like Rise Against with Hero of War and Savio, Dropkick Murphys with I'm Shipping Up to Boston, it takes away alot of the experience of going to a showe when 60% of the audience only know one or two songs. Ironically that's what happened to Sum 41 back in 2001.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

Emil wrote:I hate how bands get too popular because of one song like Rise Against with Hero of War and Savio, Dropkick Murphys with I'm Shipping Up to Boston, it takes away alot of the experience of going to a showe when 60% of the audience only know one or two songs. Ironically that's what happened to Sum 41 back in 2001.
haha the most ironic thing is that with Sum 41 it´s still the same way,man xD I saw them in Vienna and Prague and believe me,some of the people could sing only singles ...does not matter if they are mainstream or not there will always be people who will remember just fat lip,in too deep or still waiting...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Hideo_Kuze
Billy Spleen

Post by Hideo_Kuze »

sum41 deffo deserves to be a bit more known
luckily Island Records don't just throw the album out, they wait for the perfect time(whenever that is) to make them as big as possible.
How big, I don't know, but too much fame has never done anyone any good. They all go insane when they want more and more success
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

I wish Sum 41 was really popular again. I will still like them the same whether they are really popular or not but they do need to get recognized again; they deserve it. Sum 41 is better than all the artists that came from 2004-present.

Yeah and if they do ever become mainstream again there will be all those fangirls at their shows that just get in the way and are fucking annoying, but that won't change Sum 41.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

Hideo_Kuze wrote:sum41 deffo deserves to be a bit more known
luckily Island Records don't just throw the album out, they wait for the perfect time(whenever that is) to make them as big as possible.
How big, I don't know, but too much fame has never done anyone any good. They all go insane when they want more and more success
if there is a strong spirit to stay cool,you will ...I believe Sum 41 would stay cool even if they sold 15 millions of SBM...
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I don't care if the new album gets Sum 41 back in the spotlight or not either, but it would be nice to see Screaming Bloody Murder be one of those "critically acclaimed" albums like Blink-182's Untitled and Green Day's American Idiot. I really want the band to make an album that's so good that it steps away from the shadow of All Killer No Filler.

That's one thing I never understood was how some people always want bands to "make another Dookie" or "make another All Killer." Make another album that's like your biggest commercial hit. Yet bands that do that get flak for playing it safe or just repeating themselves.
Childish Gambino
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jordan

Post by Childish Gambino »

Have they really ever been like, extremely popular? I certainly would never throw their name in the ring with blink or Green Day, because they've never been anywhere near their level of popularity. People know Sum 41, but they will never be as popular as Katy Perry or any other mainstream artist, for the simple reason that nobody listens to pop-punk anymore, everybody just wants to hear hot women singing about their vagina.
Silent in the trees.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

My Life For Hire wrote:Have they really ever been like, extremely popular? I certainly would never throw their name in the ring with blink or Green Day, because they've never been anywhere near their level of popularity. People know Sum 41, but they will never be as popular as Katy Perry or any other mainstream artist, for the simple reason that nobody listens to pop-punk anymore, everybody just wants to hear hot women singing about their vagina.
I think that Sum 41 still can be as famous as GD or B182...GD weren´t that famous before AI too ...one good record can change everything ...