Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

DW_60
Hooch
First name: Amin
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drum
Twitter: aaminolo

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by DW_60 »

hey amin!
please excuse the delay, i've been pretty busy.
things are going great! the song i wrote is now called screaming bloody murder, deryck wrote the lyrics. i played some guitar on the new record.
the gob record is in the works but we still have a lot to record, we'll finish it as soon as possible. the songs are the best songs i've ever written.
hope to see u soon in paris too!
tom

08/01/2010
Image Image

" Tu es mon petite poubelle. "
Amin #sum41france http://www.facebook.com/Sum41France
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Well, I hope the album will be out not later than March, I mean, from Feb. to March isn't a big delay cuz there wasn't a real release date anyway but I hope March is final. I'm bummed that the single will be out only in January though... I hoped for a single around November with the Eastpak tour or at least December like Deryck said not too long ago... how are they fuckin' headlining such a tour like Eastpak without even a single to promote? I mean, they are going to play Skumfuk so is this going to be a tour to promote a leaked song? haha
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

TomiT14 wrote:
dbauer91 wrote:isn't "like everyone else" a song that cone or brown tom wrote anyway? i remember seeing some interview about that awhile ago.
Like Everyone Else was written by Cone. Sad to hear it didn't make it. :sosad:
Panic Attack was written by Tom, then Deryck added his own touch to it and renamed it Screaming Bloody Murder.
oh, alright. i'm actually pretty pumped that this album is gonna be pretty much a solely-deryck one then (except panick attack [sbm] sorta). the rest of their work has been solely deryck and i feel that i would want one mind working on an album rather than a bunch of scrambled ideas coming from all sorts of places anyway. cool cone q&a too, and once again, just calling it now - my 20th bday - 3/15/11 WILL BE the release date.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

dbauer91 wrote:just calling it now - my 20th bday - 3/15/11 WILL BE the release date.
If that fails, March 26th would be cool too. :winkwink:

New Deryck interview --> http://norwichgigs.co.uk/interviews/sum-41/
Deryck wrote:"We are going to be playing different songs, that we haven’t played before, but will still put on a fun, high energy show. We should be playing an hour and twenty so will have time to fit in a lot of songs."
FUCK YES!
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

I'm actually disappointed Like Everyone Else won't make it. I hope it'll be released as a b-side or something still... cuz I think they recorded it, right? Anyway, it could've been nice to hear a Cone song on this record, if we have a Tom song (kinda), and maybe even a Steve song.. although I think Steve's kinda songs wouldn't fit the whole mood of the record.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Man you made my day fuck yes! new songs that they never play!!! I hope Noots xD or I'm Not The One :D
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Andros wrote:Man you made my day fuck yes! new songs that they never play!!! I hope Noots xD or I'm Not The One :D
I'm really hoping for No Brains comeback! And some UH badassness like Jester or CYLB would be nice! :glad:
dbauer91
Billy Spleen

Post by dbauer91 »

Hentaiman wrote:I'm actually disappointed Like Everyone Else won't make it. I hope it'll be released as a b-side or something still... cuz I think they recorded it, right? Anyway, it could've been nice to hear a Cone song on this record, if we have a Tom song (kinda), and maybe even a Steve song.. although I think Steve's kinda songs wouldn't fit the whole mood of the record.
no offense, but i hate it when people act like drummers actuall write songs. maybe lyrically, like p4p, reign in pain, etc., but he doesn't write anything musically - he's just the drummer. i think people have a generally wrong perception of how a band works. more often than not, there are 1 or 2 creative forces in a band(1 if the band has a singer/guitarist like deryck, and 2 if the singer doesn't play guitar/piano; although in bands like alice in chains and oasis, the guitarist wrote most the lyrics for the singer anyway). while the rest of the band does contribute live and record some of the shit, they simply working w/ the stuff that someone else wrote. stevo, for example, doesn't play guitar (like he attempts to, but he is NOT a legit guitarist), so you can't credit him w/ making a song (especially musically) if he just drums. now granted he's a good drummer, but is not a creative force behind the band, neither is tom, and neither is cone. it's pretty much solely deryck, and i'm fine w/ that, cuz it's worked out well so far (except most of underclass hero, of course). also, in response to what someone else above said, 3/15 would work cuz albums are almost always released on a tuesday, the 26th would be a friday so that date is highly unlikely.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

TomiT14 wrote:
dbauer91 wrote:just calling it now - my 20th bday - 3/15/11 WILL BE the release date.
If that fails, March 26th would be cool too. :winkwink:

New Deryck interview --> http://norwichgigs.co.uk/interviews/sum-41/
Deryck wrote:"We are going to be playing different songs, that we haven’t played before, but will still put on a fun, high energy show. We should be playing an hour and twenty so will have time to fit in a lot of songs."
FUCK YES!
This is so legit. Songs they haven't played before will probably be the best set list ever, I'm assuming he means all albums pre-SBM not SBM songs. The only thing I hope is that they don't play a lot of UH songs because I'm pretty sure that's the album that had the most songs that were never played live.

What I really want to see are AKNF, DTLI, and Chuck rarities.

Stuff like:

Machine Gun
Grab the Devil
Nothing On My Back
Handle This
Heart Attack
Crazy Amanda
No Brains
All Messed Up
Mr. Amsterdam
Hyper-Insomnia
Thanks for Nothing...actually the whole DTLI album with the exception of Billy Spleen
Angels with Dirty Faces
No Reason
The Bitter End
*Open Your Eyes*
*I'm Not the One*
*88* all the way through

UH the songs that I really only want played that were never played are:
Speak of the Devil
Pull the Curtain

Songs I don't want to hear:
With Me
Best of Me - I hope they NEVER play this song.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

dbauer91 wrote:in response to what someone else above said, 3/15 would work cuz albums are almost always released on a tuesday, the 26th would be a friday so that date is highly unlikely.
The 26th was just a birthday factor, like I thought yours was too. To be honest I couldn't care less what the date will be. I'll buy the album when it comes out, no matter when it is.

And I don't think Hentai meant Stevo writing songs, he just said it would be cool to have a Stevo-song (in the style of P4P songs). Tom wrote one song for the new album, so he contributed in a mentionable way. And so did Cone, even though his song didn't make it to the album. And in the past, Dave wrote almost all the solos along with some riffs here and there, so it hasn't always been Deryck's own project.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

kILLDR3n wrote:This is so legit. Songs they haven't played before will probably be the best set list ever, I'm assuming he means all albums pre-SBM not SBM songs. The only thing I hope is that they don't play a lot of UH songs because I'm pretty sure that's the album that had the most songs that were never played live.

What I really want to see are AKNF, DTLI, and Chuck rarities.

Songs I don't want to hear:
With Me
Best of Me - I hope they NEVER play this song.
Aww, so much negativity here again. :silly:
Why so much hate towards UH? It might have not been their best work, but it still has some good live songs.
Best Of Me is an epic song too, but I agree it wouldn't fit in their rock show. But the song itself is great.

There really isn't a song I wouldn't want to hear. I love them all!
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

dbauer91 wrote:
Hentaiman wrote:I'm actually disappointed Like Everyone Else won't make it. I hope it'll be released as a b-side or something still... cuz I think they recorded it, right? Anyway, it could've been nice to hear a Cone song on this record, if we have a Tom song (kinda), and maybe even a Steve song.. although I think Steve's kinda songs wouldn't fit the whole mood of the record.
no offense, but i hate it when people act like drummers actuall write songs. maybe lyrically, like p4p, reign in pain, etc., but he doesn't write anything musically - he's just the drummer. i think people have a generally wrong perception of how a band works. more often than not, there are 1 or 2 creative forces in a band(1 if the band has a singer/guitarist like deryck, and 2 if the singer doesn't play guitar/piano; although in bands like alice in chains and oasis, the guitarist wrote most the lyrics for the singer anyway). while the rest of the band does contribute live and record some of the shit, they simply working w/ the stuff that someone else wrote. stevo, for example, doesn't play guitar (like he attempts to, but he is NOT a legit guitarist), so you can't credit him w/ making a song (especially musically) if he just drums. now granted he's a good drummer, but is not a creative force behind the band, neither is tom, and neither is cone. it's pretty much solely deryck, and i'm fine w/ that, cuz it's worked out well so far (except most of underclass hero, of course). also, in response to what someone else above said, 3/15 would work cuz albums are almost always released on a tuesday, the 26th would be a friday so that date is highly unlikely.
You hate it when drummers are given credit for writing songs? Wow, you are either incredibly ignorant or one insecure guitarist. I'm not even going to point in how many ways you're wrong because I think you know that the instrument you play in the band has nothing to do with the ability to write songs. Just because one person in a band writes the core of the songs doesn't mean you should deprive all other members of the bands of their creative influence. Most of the time it is neither all of them equally, nor one of them solely, but something dynamic inbetween.
If you really believe what you wrote there, you are just another one with the wrong perception of how a band works, but on the opposite side of what the reality is.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Wow, I hope there's some good film footage born out of the Eastpak Tour. I'm really interested in what these songs that they haven't played before are going to be. Also, it's great to hear that they'll be doing hour-long sets. I'm hoping they continue that when they're promoting the new album in Canada.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Simon wrote:
dbauer91 wrote:
You hate it when drummers are given credit for writing songs? Wow, you are either incredibly ignorant or one insecure guitarist. I'm not even going to point in how many ways you're wrong because I think you know that the instrument you play in the band has nothing to do with the ability to write songs. Just because one person in a band writes the core of the songs doesn't mean you should deprive all other members of the bands of their creative influence. Most of the time it is neither all of them equally, nor one of them solely, but something dynamic inbetween.
If you really believe what you wrote there, you are just another one with the wrong perception of how a band works, but on the opposite side of what the reality is.
he obviously never heard of Avenged Sevenolfd...or other bands ...drummer can be even a leader in the band ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

FuckT41182 wrote: he obviously never heard of Avenged Sevenolfd...or other bands ...drummer can be even a leader in the band ...
Rush, Genesis, the Eagles, to add a few more. dbauer91 knows shit.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
dbauer91
Billy Spleen

Post by dbauer91 »

2712 wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote: he obviously never heard of Avenged Sevenolfd...or other bands ...drummer can be even a leader in the band ...
Rush, Genesis, the Eagles, to add a few more. dbauer91 knows shit.
actually, i play guitar, drums, bass, keyboard, and sing, so yea i do know my shit. and i'm not trying to argue or make a big thing out of this, but the drummer is absolutely NOT the songwriter in a band unless they play and write music on a non-percussion instrument. like if you were to place deryck in a room w/ a shitload of instruments and tell him to make a record, he could. stevo couldn't, cuz he doesn't actually play the musical/non-percussion instruments. he could still write lyrics and sing, but w/o guitars/bass/keyboard, a song would be just a drum solo w/ singing.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

so what you're saying is, if you're a drummer in a band, but you write a song on your guitar and write some lyrics, and you show said song to your band mates, you want the CD insert to say that the song was written by the guitarist/singer? wow, i've heard of being modest, but when you're practically giving a song to the singer to possibly get song writing royalties, thats something special. way to go man, you are the most humble person i've ever had the pleasure of taking to.

down to seriousness. sum 41 shares the song writing titles within themselves, if a song is built upon a drum beat, or bass line, then why shouldn't steve or cone be able to share credit of the song with deryck?
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
dbauer91
Billy Spleen

Post by dbauer91 »

2712 wrote:so what you're saying is, if you're a drummer in a band, but you write a song on your guitar and write some lyrics, and you show said song to your band mates, you want the CD insert to say that the song was written by the guitarist/singer? wow, i've heard of being modest, but when you're practically giving a song to the singer to possibly get song writing royalties, thats something special. way to go man, you are the most humble person i've ever had the pleasure of taking to.

down to seriousness. sum 41 shares the song writing titles within themselves, if a song is built upon a drum beat, or bass line, then why shouldn't steve or cone be able to share credit of the song with deryck?
nah, you're completely write about your argument. if that was the case and the drummer wrote the shit on guitar in the first place, the he should absolutely get the credit. HOWEVER, stevo doesn't play any non-percussion instruments (at least seriously, he only dicks around on guitar every once in awhile). look i'm not trying to argue and get off-topic from sum stuff, but you guys gotta realize that stevo, as solely a percussionist, is NOT a songwriter. some drummers in other bands may be, but stevo isn't. he maybe an occasional lyricist, but not a songwriter.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

dbauer91 wrote:
2712 wrote:so what you're saying is, if you're a drummer in a band, but you write a song on your guitar and write some lyrics, and you show said song to your band mates, you want the CD insert to say that the song was written by the guitarist/singer? wow, i've heard of being modest, but when you're practically giving a song to the singer to possibly get song writing royalties, thats something special. way to go man, you are the most humble person i've ever had the pleasure of taking to.

nah, you're completely write about your argument. if that was the case and the drummer wrote the shit on guitar in the first place, the he should absolutely get the credit. HOWEVER, stevo doesn't play any non-percussion instruments (at least seriously, he only dicks around on guitar every once in awhile). look i'm not trying to argue and get off-topic from sum stuff, but you guys gotta realize that stevo, as solely a percussionist, is NOT a songwriter. some drummers in other bands may be, but stevo isn't. he maybe an occasional lyricist, but not a songwriter.
Steve plays piano as well.. Piano and drums are enough to write a couple of songs..
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

You can even write a song without ever having played a melodic instrument at all. The only thing you need is the ability to somehow express what your hear in your head. Just remember how Deryck shows Steve what kind of drums he had in mind for a certain part, just by imitating the sound of it with his voice. The same thing works the other way around because that's how I wrote songs as a drummer years ago when I couldn't play the guitar yet.
It's not very practical, but it works.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...