Green Day - Cigarettes And Valentines (New Song)

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Jesus Christ Supermarket
Hooch
First name: Scott

Re: Green Day - Cigarettes And Valentines (New Song)

Post by Jesus Christ Supermarket »

That's the Green Day I loved growing up! No pretentious concepts, no broadway-like singing, no tedious 9 minute ballads... just a short, sweet, catchy punk tune. Too bad they decided to make American Idiot, this had great potential.
Last Listened to:
Radiohead- Amnesiac
9/10
Favorite song: Pyramid Song/ Knives Out
Rocket41
Billy Spleen
First name: Taylor

Post by Rocket41 »

Doctor Babe. wrote:
Rocket41 wrote:He didn't specify
I don't see how it wasn't implied

withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

Raku wrote: So I guess they played Up All Night and other new songs recently? Can you give me a link to those live songs please?
"Up All Night" was not once mentioned in this thread. No other new blink-182 songs were ever mentioned in this thread. I don't understand where you're coming from with these questions. I said that blink-182 used to play new songs live, but that most people probably wouldn't realize it because they didn't attend blink-182 shows before the year 2009. There's a much bigger understanding as to why blink-182 isn't playing new songs currently. If I paid 60 bucks to see Blink-182 play that long tour in '09, I would have much preferred to see them play the songs I want to hear, rather than a new song that I hardly understand any words to. Especially considering they haven't toured since like.. 2005. Sum 41 hardly stops touring. They aren't blink-182. Two totally different scenarios.
Rocket41 wrote:
Doctor Babe. wrote:
His quote
blink-182 is the same way, so you're not the only ones to suffer...
Please explain to me how that specifies a specific timeframe, or how it implies a specific timeframe. That is a very broad statement. Blink-182 of 15 years ago didn't just play music from albums they have already released. Sum 41 also probably didn't, so I just built your rebuttal, or whatever it is... counterargument... I don't even know at this point.

Anyways, Green Day played a new song. It sounds nothing like the current shitty record they're touring on, and it is giving fans of classic Green Day a hard-on. Please, continue talking about what this thread is supposed to be about.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Doctor Babe. wrote:Please, continue talking about what this thread is supposed to be about.
Just a quick one.

The Sums have played some unreleased songs before though. Motivation, Mr. Amsterdam, We're All To Blame, KOC and CAFIMT were all played before they were released. So it's a shame they have decided not to play new ones this time.

About the topic, Cigarettes & Valentines would've been a great album to be released. But then again, Green Day was a forgotten band during and after Warning, so continuing the same style wouldn't necessarily got them this big.
I love AI and 21CB, but I love the older ones too. The new and old GD are too different to be compared.

But it's awesome that they haven't totally ditched the C&V album. Bringing some rareties here and there is cool.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

I wonder what the guy who stole it is doing with it. You could probably leak it and then make a fortune selling it.
geeinglat
Goon
First name: Geanine

Post by geeinglat »

My friend bought the so called "Cigarretes And Valetines", it was a fake anyway.
The songs were Teenagers From Mars and Wake Me Up When September Ends, both demos.
Last edited by geeinglat on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocket41
Billy Spleen
First name: Taylor

Post by Rocket41 »

Doctor Babe. wrote:
Raku wrote: So I guess they played Up All Night and other new songs recently? Can you give me a link to those live songs please?
"Up All Night" was not once mentioned in this thread. No other new blink-182 songs were ever mentioned in this thread. I don't understand where you're coming from with these questions. I said that blink-182 used to play new songs live, but that most people probably wouldn't realize it because they didn't attend blink-182 shows before the year 2009. There's a much bigger understanding as to why blink-182 isn't playing new songs currently. If I paid 60 bucks to see Blink-182 play that long tour in '09, I would have much preferred to see them play the songs I want to hear, rather than a new song that I hardly understand any words to. Especially considering they haven't toured since like.. 2005. Sum 41 hardly stops touring. They aren't blink-182. Two totally different scenarios.
Rocket41 wrote:
Doctor Babe. wrote:
His quote
blink-182 is the same way, so you're not the only ones to suffer...
Please explain to me how that specifies a specific timeframe, or how it implies a specific timeframe. That is a very broad statement. Blink-182 of 15 years ago didn't just play music from albums they have already released. Sum 41 also probably didn't, so I just built your rebuttal, or whatever it is... counterargument... I don't even know at this point.

Anyways, Green Day played a new song. It sounds nothing like the current shitty record they're touring on, and it is giving fans of classic Green Day a hard-on. Please, continue talking about what this thread is supposed to be about.
haha man, you really need to be right don't you? I'm not sure how I understood it was implied then.

stevie486
Billy Spleen
First name: Stevie
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by stevie486 »

sounds not bad, nice old skool feel to it

get it on the new/next album guys !
heartcore-prisoners
Bunkface
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by heartcore-prisoners »

lol @ b-joe's new blonde hair and red pants
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

heartcore-prisoners wrote:lol @ b-joe's new blonde hair and red pants
Yeah, does he just wear the exact same clothes to every show? Black shirt with patches, big white tie and bright red pants... What the hell.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
heartcore-prisoners wrote:lol @ b-joe's new blonde hair and red pants
Yeah, does he just wear the exact same clothes to every show? Black shirt with patches, big white tie and bright red pants... What the hell.
Who's imitating who, Deryck imitating Billie Joe or the other way around?
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

sounds pretty good
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

21st century breakdown is a great album. go and listen to it.

and this new song is sick
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Emil wrote:I wonder what the guy who stole it is doing with it. You could probably leak it and then make a fortune selling it.
That's why i'm so confused.. You think the person that stole it would leak it? What good is it just lying about in his room?
soft-punker
Bunkface
First name: Zoli
Last.fm Username: rocknrollazz

Post by soft-punker »

Jake-41 wrote:
Emil wrote:I wonder what the guy who stole it is doing with it. You could probably leak it and then make a fortune selling it.
That's why i'm so confused.. You think the person that stole it would leak it? What good is it just lying about in his room?
No one stole that. I think the guys just thought that it's not good enough to be a Green Day album, but they couldn't start to make an album again when they've already got one. The fans would be pissed. So they just said that someone stole the master recordings. Anyway, they released Cigarettes and Valentines. Download Money Money 2020 by The Networks.
Last edited by soft-punker on Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Last.fm]________RateYourMusic

"If looks could really kill, then my profression would be staring..."
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

soft-punker wrote:Anyway, they released Cigarettes and Valentines. Download Money Money 2020 by The Networks.
Why you keep saying this? The Network album is some crazy space shit?
Plus C&V was supposed to include Too Much Too Soon, Shoplifter, When September Ends and this new title track.
Those songs would never fit in with the other songs in the Network album.
soft-punker
Bunkface

Post by soft-punker »

TomiT14 wrote:
soft-punker wrote:Anyway, they released Cigarettes and Valentines. Download Money Money 2020 by The Networks.
Plus C&V was supposed to include Too Much Too Soon, Shoplifter, When September Ends and this new title track.
Those songs would never fit in with the other songs in the Network album.
How do you know? They said that?

It's obvious that they wrote this song in this year. They deny that they are the members of The Network and Cigarettes & Valentines = Money Money 2020. This song makes this statement more believable and that's exactly what they want.

Anyway, Money Money 2020 sucks.
Last edited by soft-punker on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

soft-punker wrote:How do you know? They said that?

It's obvious that they wrote this song in this year. They deny that they are the members of The Network and Cigarettes & Valentines = Money Money 2020. This song makes this statement more believable and that's exactly what they want.

But you didn't explain why would Cigarettes & Valentines = Money Money 2020?
I'm sure C&V would've been Green Day style, not some futuristic space stuff.

I read about those three songs from a Green Day fansite forums, not sure about the original source but the members there talked about it like it's an obvious fact.

From wiki:
Lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong said the album's material was "good stuff." Musically, the material on Cigarettes and Valentines was hard, "quick-tempoed punk" songs in the vein of Green Day's Insomniac and Kerplunk. This sound would have contrasted the group's previous two studio albums, Nimrod and Warning, which displayed more alternative and folk genres respectively. Bassist Mike Dirnt described the band's decision of returning to the sound found on their older albums, stating, "We've had a nice break from making hard and fast music and it's made us want to do it again."
soft-punker
Bunkface

Post by soft-punker »

TomiT14 wrote:
soft-punker wrote:How do you know? They said that?

But you didn't explain why would Cigarettes & Valentines = Money Money 2020?
I'm sure C&V would've been Green Day style, not some futuristic space stuff.

I read about those three songs from a Green Day fansite forums, not sure about the original source but the members there talked about it like it's an obvious fact.

From wiki:
Lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong said the album's material was "good stuff." Musically, the material on Cigarettes and Valentines was hard, "quick-tempoed punk" songs in the vein of Green Day's Insomniac and Kerplunk. This sound would have contrasted the group's previous two studio albums, Nimrod and Warning, which displayed more alternative and folk genres respectively. Bassist Mike Dirnt described the band's decision of returning to the sound found on their older albums, stating, "We've had a nice break from making hard and fast music and it's made us want to do it again."
So you think that The Network was just a short lived side-project? Because that's obvious that Billie Joe is the singer. The release date is also interesting. C & V would've been released in 2003, Money Money 2020 was released in 2003. Warning wasn't "Green Day style" neither.

He said it in 2006 or 2008. If he'd said it before the master recordings were "stolen", I'd believe it. Most likely he just said it because he want the Green Day fans to think that Money Money 2020 =/= Cigarettes & Valentines, and Green Day =/= The Network.
Last edited by soft-punker on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

soft-punker wrote:So you think that The Network was just a short lived side-project? Because that's obvious that Billie Joe is the singer. The release date is also interesting. C & V would've been released in 2003, Money Money 2020 was released in 2003. Warning wasn't "Green Day style" neither.

He said it in 2006 or 2008. If he'd said it before the master recordings were "stolen", I'd believe it. Most likely he just said it because he want the Green Day fans to think that Money Money 2020 =/= Cigarettes & Valentines, and Green Day =/= The Network.
Of course Billie Joe is the singer. I never said The Network isn't Green Day, of course they are.
But can you seriously say that Green Day would've released that über space stuff under the name of Green Day - Cigarettes & Valentines?

Warning may not be the same style as their first albums, but it's really similar to Nimrod, and much closer to GD style than Money Money, which is totally in its own style, that's why they released it under a different band name, 'cause it didn't fit in with Green Day style.

I'm not saying Money Money wouldn't have had some influences from the scrapped C&V album. But to say that C&V = Money Money is way over the top IMO.