Sum 41 / SBM discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Mike
Dr. Dynamite

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by Mike »

yea i just saw them in Detroit today and there was a sign in their merchandise tent saying, new album "screaming bloody murder" coming soon. i asked the guy that was selling their shit when the cd is coming out and he said fall also.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

FuckT41182 wrote:
kILLDR3n wrote:I really don't like people who listen to music because they "like the lyrics" or think they're "meaningful". Music is based around melody (IN MY OPINION) and instruments. I know some people that will say they listen to a certain song because the lyrics mean something to them, then I listen to the song and the song is fucking terrible. If you listen to music in that kind of way then just read poems, that's not music. The only exception here is rap. Rap is not music. Its a bunch of thugs uttering or talking loudly about how they killed somebody once and think they're cool for doing cocaine.
music is art ...Lyrics are part of every song ...if you don't like it,why the fuck you do listen to the music like Sum 41 ???there is too much shitty music like techno for you...and rap ??? I would say that everything that's made with heart is music ...Eminem makes his music with heart ...or 2pac used to ...
No, lyrics are not a part of every song. I don't know how to reiterate what I'm trying to express that I've already said. I never said I DIDN'T LIKE THE LYRICS. I don't mind any lyrics that Sum 41 writes. I think you thought I meant I don't like the vocals. I love the vocals, like the way the lyrics are sang. That's what puts the lyrics into a song well. If you wanted to just hear how the meaning behind lyrics the singer could just talk the lyrics into a song. But no, that wouldn't be music. Never have I actually sat there and thought about the lyrics and what they mean. I don't care what they mean as long as they sound good. The Hell Song chorus sounds awesome. I love the way Deryck sings all throughout Mr. Amsterdam. No Brains. DTLI in general. Almost every Sum 41 song. I could care less what he's actually saying though. If you want to listen to how "meaningful" lyrics would be then we would sit in a lounge somewhere with a guy holding a stupid piece of paper talking like a fucking faggot bringing tears to people's eyes. Honestly WHO THE FUCK WOULD ONLY LISTEN TO A SONG BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT THE LYRICS WERE COOL? Then they obviously wouldn't be perceiving the song correctly, or wouldn't be perceiving it as music.

Put rap/hip-hop/BULLSHIT music aside that's a different story or if its even music.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Doctor Babe. wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:Just throwing this out there, but hopefully they don't thank some bullshit band like Fall Out Boy on this record. That was disappointing to see on Underclass Hero. I don't even know why they thanked them. I like some Fall Out Boy songs, but... still. Pete Wentz. Self-proclaimed penis photographer.
What is bullshit about FOB? They made some pretty great music. The first song from their final record was pretty damn good... probably my favorite FOB song. Plus, the projects they've been doing since the breakup have sounded really awesome thus far.

If they thanked a band like Cobra Starship, I'd understand your complaint... but FOB is a semi-legit band.
I just don't like their image. Their music is good, for what it's worth. I agree with you that their post-breakup projects are looking promising (The Damned Things is the only one I know). I'm not sure if it was label-related either, if it was, then Sum 41 should be thanked on Folie á Deux. It's only fair. I just never thought the band would want to associate themselves with someone like Pete Wentz when they have problems with a band like Simple Plan (although, Simple Plan whines a lot more than Fall Out Boy).

As for the whole emo thing... Sum 41's pieces video is probably more emo than any of the music videos that Fall Out Boy has put out. In a sense, Fall Out Boy is a lot like Sum 41, putting out comedic music videos. I wouldn't consider Fall Out Boy emo.
kILLDR3n wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
kILLDR3n wrote:I really don't like people who listen to music because they "like the lyrics" or think they're "meaningful". Music is based around melody (IN MY OPINION) and instruments. I know some people that will say they listen to a certain song because the lyrics mean something to them, then I listen to the song and the song is fucking terrible. If you listen to music in that kind of way then just read poems, that's not music. The only exception here is rap. Rap is not music. Its a bunch of thugs uttering or talking loudly about how they killed somebody once and think they're cool for doing cocaine.
music is art ...Lyrics are part of every song ...if you don't like it,why the fuck you do listen to the music like Sum 41 ???there is too much shitty music like techno for you...and rap ??? I would say that everything that's made with heart is music ...Eminem makes his music with heart ...or 2pac used to ...
No, lyrics are not a part of every song. I don't know how to reiterate what I'm trying to express that I've already said. I never said I DIDN'T LIKE THE LYRICS. I don't mind any lyrics that Sum 41 writes. I think you thought I meant I don't like the vocals. I love the vocals, like the way the lyrics are sang. That's what puts the lyrics into a song well. If you wanted to just hear how the meaning behind lyrics the singer could just talk the lyrics into a song. But no, that wouldn't be music. Never have I actually sat there and thought about the lyrics and what they mean. I don't care what they mean as long as they sound good. The Hell Song chorus sounds awesome. I love the way Deryck sings all throughout Mr. Amsterdam. No Brains. DTLI in general. Almost every Sum 41 song. I could care less what he's actually saying though. If you want to listen to how "meaningful" lyrics would be then we would sit in a lounge somewhere with a guy holding a stupid piece of paper talking like a fucking faggot bringing tears to people's eyes. Honestly WHO THE FUCK WOULD ONLY LISTEN TO A SONG BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT THE LYRICS WERE COOL? Then they obviously wouldn't be perceiving the song correctly, or wouldn't be perceiving it as music.

Put rap/hip-hop/BULLSHIT music aside that's a different story or if its even music.
I don't think there are a lot of people only listen to music for the sole purpose of good lyrics. Maybe the lyrics are just the best part of the song, much like someone would say "I love the drumming in this song." Lyrics are a major part of a lot of songs, it gives the song a bit of humanity than if it was music only. It helps people to feel emotion in a different way as well as help make sense of their feelings, whatever they may be. I love the lyrics in Eminem's Lose Yourself and Not Afraid, they're great songs.

You can't put boundaries on music. Music is art and it is whatever you perceive it to be. It's very subjective and when people say "this isn't music" it's out of bias and they simply do not like the band or song.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Sum41Ant27 wrote:
Andros wrote:
Sum41Ant27 wrote:
Andros wrote:
Sum41Ant27 wrote:So ANYWAY....

I finally read an interview with Steve saying the album is called Screaming Bloody Murder. I really wish we can have at least a name on the 12-minute song!!!

ok I guess we can go back off-topic now.
Really? in which interview you read this?

http://sum41.bandaiders.com/forums/arti ... rview.html

Steve said it here (if you don't want to read it all)

Mike – What’s the deal with the name “Screaming Bloody Murder” for the new album?
Steve – We feel like we need to be really loud right now. I think it is just kind of a cool sounding title. The record is done and will be out in the fall. It is heavy, it is intense. It has got big epic parts and quiet cool parts.
So the album coming out this year :D
Yup that's official. but there's no set date.

I love how it's only you and me talking about the actual topic! lol :razz:
Yeah hahaha lol! but I'm happy the album is coming in this year! in fall :D
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

It will come out the first day of fall. September 20th or something like that. Hopefully. At the Church of Wishful Thinking.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Well that interview was interestng. I think we can draw some good conclusions from it.
- The album is being released in October.
- The 12-minuter is split into three parts, and is one of the best songs on the album.
- The leaked version of Scumfuck we all heard was (probably) a demo.
- They're not gonna play any new stuff live before the album is released.
- This album is going to FUCKING RULE!
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

Jeremy Kill wrote: I just don't like their image. Their music is good, for what it's worth. I agree with you that their post-breakup projects are looking promising (The Damned Things is the only one I know). I'm not sure if it was label-related either, if it was, then Sum 41 should be thanked on Folie á Deux. It's only fair. I just never thought the band would want to associate themselves with someone like Pete Wentz when they have problems with a band like Simple Plan (although, Simple Plan whines a lot more than Fall Out Boy).

As for the whole emo thing... Sum 41's pieces video is probably more emo than any of the music videos that Fall Out Boy has put out. In a sense, Fall Out Boy is a lot like Sum 41, putting out comedic music videos. I wouldn't consider Fall Out Boy emo.
The Damned Things looks awesome to me. Pete Wentz' project isn't that great, but it's different...

As far as Sum 41, Pieces really seems like just a result of the style of music being made at the time. I really think that Sum 41 was just jumping on the whole "depressing ballad" style movement that you continuously see in music. It was just something that bands were doing at the time. That's what I like to think when I listen to that song / when I watch the music video.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Internet arguments are so fun to read. Especially when there's someone who starts calling people names. That means you automatically just lost the argument.
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Gregorovich wrote: I think we can draw some good conclusions from it
Check out the other interviews, there they're talking about possibly early next year.
Gregorovich wrote:- The 12-minuter is split into three parts, and is one of the best songs on the album.
He said it's a good representation. Everyone's opinion on a song is different.
Gregorovich wrote:- The leaked version of Scumfuck we all heard was (probably) a demo.
No, Stevo said the last time he heard it was in a demo-form.
Gregorovich wrote:- They're not gonna play any new stuff live before the album is released.
We all knew.

Conclusion: you suck at conclusions.
soft-punker
Bunkface
First name: Zoli
Last.fm Username: rocknrollazz

Post by soft-punker »

:hehe:
[Last.fm]________RateYourMusic

"If looks could really kill, then my profression would be staring..."
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Lars wrote:
Check out the other interviews, there they're talking about possibly early next year.
Gregorovich wrote:- The 12-minuter is split into three parts, and is one of the best songs on the album.
Gregorovich wrote:- The leaked version of Scumfuck we all heard was (probably) a demo.
Gregorovich wrote:- They're not gonna play any new stuff live before the album is released.
We all knew.

This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Lars wrote:
We all knew.

I could easily argue with every point you made there, but it would be a waste of time and would ultimately end up being contradicted in the same way 9/10 other relevant, opinional posts are on this thread.
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

No seriously bro, how can you possibly know that the 12-minute song is going to be one of the best on the album? I don't think Stevo said that.

I could have quoted from the interview as well, if you would have preferred that.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

Steve did say that the 12 minute song is "epic" though in one of the interviews.
TonyBergsma
First name: Tony
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by TonyBergsma »

kILLDR3n wrote:Steve did say that the 12 minute song is "epic" though in one of the interviews.
that is in his opinion, everybody has another opinion about it
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

Gregorovich wrote:Well that interview was interestng. I think we can draw some good conclusions from it.
- The 12-minuter is split into three parts, and is one of the best songs on the album.
- The leaked version of Scumfuck we all heard was (probably) a demo.
- They're not gonna play any new stuff live before the album is released.
- This album is going to FUCKING RULE!

No because Steve said that last time he heard it was in the demo stage which meant there were no lyrics. The one we heard was with lyrics. Hence it was a complete version. It's even on their myspace now.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

new titles: 'screaming bloody murder' and 'blood in my arms' these titles sound pretty dark...
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

^^Its "Blood In My Eyes", I heard in at NC
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

fenderrocks wrote:^^Its "Blood In My Eyes", I heard in at NC
sounds better ;)
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

those are probably the only two songs that steve and cone heard :hehe:

btw 'blood in my eyes' could be 'black eyes' ( the song we saw in the early 2009 updates)