Sum 41 / SBM discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

TonyBergsma
First name: Tony
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by TonyBergsma »

Jesus Christ Supermarket wrote:FOB is a terrible flamboyant emo shit band.
agreed
Jesus Christ Supermarket
Hooch
First name: Scott

Post by Jesus Christ Supermarket »

Doctor Babe. wrote:
Judging by the fact that you called them an "emo shit band", you probably wouldn't know much about them. You also probably think Sum 41 is the best band out there, and that they have the best lyrics of any band. But, who am I to assume stupid, incorrect things?
1) Yeah I do actually. My friend's little emo sister is obsessed with them. 2) Ummm... no Sum 41 isn't one of the best bands with the best lyrics. Their a good mainstream pop punk/ rock band that I enjoy listenig to. Now if we're talking about actual rock: I listened to The Beatles, Led Zepplin, Rolling Stones, Sabbath, Metallica Nirvana, Pixies, Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden, etc. I dare you to say FOB is better than any of these bands. But who am I to assume your a dumb fuckstick who don't know shit about music?
Last edited by Jesus Christ Supermarket on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last Listened to:
Radiohead- Amnesiac
9/10
Favorite song: Pyramid Song/ Knives Out
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

lol guys, we've been through 115 pages without bashing. Why break it?
TonyBergsma
First name: Tony
Instrument 1: Bass

Post by TonyBergsma »

Jesus Christ Supermarket wrote:
Doctor Babe. wrote:
Judging by the fact that you called them an "emo shit band", you probably wouldn't know much about them. You also probably think Sum 41 is the best band out there, and that they have the best lyrics of any band. But, who am I to assume stupid, incorrect things?
1) Yeah I do actually. My friend's little emo sister is obsessed with them. 2) Ummm... no Sum 41 isn't one of the best bands with the best lyrics. Their a good mainstream pop punk/ rock band that I enjoy listenig to. Now if we're talking about actual rock: I listened to The Beatles, Led Zepplin, Rolling Stones, Sabbath, Metallica Nirvana, Pixies, Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden, etc. I dare you to say FOB is better than any of these bands. But who am I to assume your a dumb fuckstick who don't know shit about music?

Amen
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

Doctor Babe. wrote:
I love how every time someone speaks on something they're actually ignorant of, they say "yeah actually i do, someone i know is all about it".

grow up.
Jesus Christ Supermarket
Hooch

ThanksForTheVenom wrote:
Doctor Babe. wrote:
I love how every time someone speaks on something they're actually ignorant of, they say "yeah actually i do, someone i know is all about it".

grow up.
I love how some abhorred moron meddles into some argument (without being offended or insulted in any way) just for the fuck of it.

Mind your own business asshole.
Last Listened to:
Radiohead- Amnesiac
9/10
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Ladies, please.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

ThanksForTheVenom wrote:
Doctor Babe. wrote:

grow up.
I love how some abhorred moron meddles into some argument (without being offended or insulted in any way) just for the fuck of it.

Mind your own business asshole.
WELL!

Excu-ooooooo-se me!

*removes my penis from your mouth*
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

No, obviously I don't think FOB is better than any of those bands. I do, however, think that a good majority of those bands are extremely overrated, and shouldn't even really be in the same conversation as bands that currently make music (with the exception of Nine Inch Nails, I guess), because the majority of them really haven't done anything in the last 10 years.

Fall Out Boy defines "good pop punk / rock band". In fact, I bet you could find a lot of people who hold their first record, and maybe their second record, as some of their favorite pop punk records ever. I don't know where you get the whole "emo" part from. I mean, if we are being legit in throwing genres into this conversation, I can easily make the argument that "emo" as a genre died in the 1990s. Last I checked, FOB wasn't around in the mid 1990s. Bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, The Promise Ring, early Jimmy Eat World. You can call those bands "emo".

If you are looking at this from a lyrical standpoint, I can make the argument that Sum 41 has some "emo" songs themselves. Sum 41 is a band you call a "good pop punk / rock band", yet they have some lyrics that can easily fit what is most likely your guidelines of "emo".
This place is so empty.
My thoughts are so tempting.
I don't know how it got so bad.
Sometimes it's so crazy
but nothing can save me
That is a lyric from the song "Pieces". I do not believe I have to actually word for word feed you a translation of what that line is referring to. I would hope you are smarter than that.

Shut up with your stupid bias against Fall Out Boy. Listen to their music before you completely judge them. Fall Out Boy fits the "pop punk" genre, musically, a lot more than Sum 41 does. We had a topic in this forum talking about the genre(s) that Sum 41 plays, and most people agreed that they really aren't that much a pop punk band anymore. Fall Out Boy was a pop punk band for a good majority, if not the entire time that they existed as a band.

ps. this has been quite fun for me. I haven't had a decent argument in a while, and this is a pretty good one.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

I really don't like people who listen to music because they "like the lyrics" or think they're "meaningful". Music is based around melody (IN MY OPINION) and instruments. I know some people that will say they listen to a certain song because the lyrics mean something to them, then I listen to the song and the song is fucking terrible. If you listen to music in that kind of way then just read poems, that's not music. The only exception here is rap. Rap is not music. Its a bunch of thugs uttering or talking loudly about how they killed somebody once and think they're cool for doing cocaine.
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

So ANYWAY....

I finally read an interview with Steve saying the album is called Screaming Bloody Murder. I really wish we can have at least a name on the 12-minute song!!!

ok I guess we can go back off-topic now.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Sum41Ant27 wrote:So ANYWAY....

I finally read an interview with Steve saying the album is called Screaming Bloody Murder. I really wish we can have at least a name on the 12-minute song!!!

Really? in which interview you read this?
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

Andros wrote:

http://sum41.bandaiders.com/forums/arti ... rview.html

Steve said it here (if you don't want to read it all)

Mike – What’s the deal with the name “Screaming Bloody Murder” for the new album?
Steve – We feel like we need to be really loud right now. I think it is just kind of a cool sounding title. The record is done and will be out in the fall. It is heavy, it is intense. It has got big epic parts and quiet cool parts.
Jesus Christ Supermarket
Hooch

I mean, if we are being legit in throwing genres into this conversation, I can easily make the argument that "emo" as a genre died in the 1990s. Last I checked, FOB wasn't around in the mid 1990s. Bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, The Promise Ring, early Jimmy Eat World. You can call those bands "emo".
FOB is a mainstream emo band. You and I (and everyone on this board) know that emo broke into the mainstream media in the early 2000's. Their influence is even an emo band for christ sake. You can continue to act coy if you want but they have emo fans, they have emo inluences, and the general audience/music industry /critics label them emo. Now you can try to blast me with a page long article on Why Fall Out Boy isn't emo (Don't though cos I won't read it) but whatever the hell you do I'm done arguing about it you little fucking bitch.
ps. this has been quite fun for me. I haven't had a decent argument in a while, and this is a pretty good one.
Yeah, fighting with people on the internet. I bet that's the best excitement you've had since breastfeeding.
Last Listened to:
Radiohead- Amnesiac
9/10
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

kILLDR3n wrote:I really don't like people who listen to music because they "like the lyrics" or think they're "meaningful". Music is based around melody (IN MY OPINION) and instruments. I know some people that will say they listen to a certain song because the lyrics mean something to them, then I listen to the song and the song is fucking terrible. If you listen to music in that kind of way then just read poems, that's not music. The only exception here is rap. Rap is not music. Its a bunch of thugs uttering or talking loudly about how they killed somebody once and think they're cool for doing cocaine.
music is art ...Lyrics are part of every song ...if you don't like it,why the fuck you do listen to the music like Sum 41 ???there is too much shitty music like techno for you...and rap ??? I would say that everything that's made with heart is music ...Eminem makes his music with heart ...or 2pac used to ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Sum41Ant27 wrote:
Andros wrote:

Mike – What’s the deal with the name “Screaming Bloody Murder” for the new album?
Steve – We feel like we need to be really loud right now. I think it is just kind of a cool sounding title. The record is done and will be out in the fall. It is heavy, it is intense. It has got big epic parts and quiet cool parts.
So the album coming out this year :D
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

Jesus Christ Supermarket wrote: FOB is a mainstream emo band. You and I (and everyone on this board) know that emo broke into the mainstream media in the early 2000's. Their influence is even an emo band for christ sake. You can continue to act coy if you want but they have emo fans, they have emo inluences, and the general audience/music industry /critics label them emo. Now you can try to blast me with a page long article on Why Fall Out Boy isn't emo (Don't though cos I won't read it) but whatever the hell you do I'm done arguing about it you little fucking bitch.
I find it pretty great that you have been so quick to call me names. I do not understand why people have trouble arguing in posts without actually taking stabs directly at the other person. I do not recall taking a stab at you by calling you a "little fucking bitch". I would like to see proof that Fall Out Boy is labeled as an emo band. I listened to their latest record quite a bit when it was first released, and it sounds nowhere near any "emo" record I have ever heard. Those bands in the early 2000s that were considered "emo", were actually just pretty bad post-hardcore bands. Fall Out Boy was basically a castoff of blink-182. They were directly influenced by bands like blink-182, and pretty much took over the role of "king" of the pop-punk scene after the blink-182 hiatus. I don't understand how songs like "Dance, Dance", "This Aint a Scene, It's an Arms Race", "Thanks For The Memories", and "I Don't Care" sound anything like "emo" songs. I can understand if you argued that bands like My Chemical Romance, The Used, and Hawthorne Heights sounded like "emo" bands, simply because they actually do have some pretty downer lyrics (especially Hawthorne Heights), but Fall Out Boy has always had fun, pop-punk songs that are catchy to the casual listener. Just because one member looks like a poster boy scene kid, doesn't mean a band makes "emo" music.

Please don't respond to this, because every single one of your posts makes you sound like you know absolutely nothing about music. I don't even think Fall Out Boy is that great of a band. I just know that they do not sound anything like an emo band. I've heard plenty of emo bands, and even more post-hardcore bands. Fall Out Boy is much more closely related to the pop-punk genre than any of the other two genres I have mentioned.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

Andros wrote:
Sum41Ant27 wrote:
Andros wrote:

So the album coming out this year :D
Yup that's official. but there's no set date.

I love how it's only you and me talking about the actual topic! lol :razz:
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Alright everybody, time to put your big-ego-balls back into your diapers.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

so long as this comes out before blinks album i'll be happy...