Re: Sum show live stream

Post by peacock41 »

ha why did he even have a double bass pedal i didnt see him use it lol
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wShSDHEwHI0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wShSDHEwHI0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Bringin' this up again, but i lol'd when Deryck gets hit. Steve's laughing in the background, lol.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

The beach ball was probably the highlight of the show.
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

peacock41 wrote:ha why did he even have a double bass pedal i didnt see him use it lol

he used it on the last motivation chours, the 88 outro...and some random fills here and there, I'm sure he used it more. oh he used it some on over my head and still waiting.
c4rlsson
Billy Spleen
First name: Bizzy D

Post by c4rlsson »

"You motherfucker, you fucked up hell song"

I almost jizzed my pants when Tom took over for like 4 seconds in Hell Song, grrrrr.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

In Fat Lip, when was the last time Deryck actually sang "But what would you expect with a conscience so small" with the word "conscience"? In early AKNF days yeah, but ever since he's replaced it with either "penis" or "dick". Why the sudden change? :confusion:
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

TomiT14 wrote:In Fat Lip, when was the last time Deryck actually sang "But what would you expect with a conscience so small" with the word "conscience"? In early AKNF days yeah, but ever since he's replaced it with either "penis" or "dick". Why the sudden change? :confusion:
Well... He did in Vienna

At 0:41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBLEnElfNLw

And the change... I don't know, because it's funny. Kinda.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Lars wrote:Well... He did in Vienna
Weird. First I thought the reason was that Duisburg was broadcast.
But why change? Using the softer language doesn't fit in their darker and aggressiver style. :silly:
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

TomiT14 wrote:
Lars wrote:Well... He did in Vienna
Weird. First I thought the reason was that Duisburg was broadcast.
But why change? Using the softer language doesn't fit in their darker and aggressiver style. :silly:
He's making up for it by using the word "fuck" every other second in his in between song banter.
peacock41
Hooch
First name: Ryan

Post by peacock41 »

fuck
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

TomiT14 wrote:In Fat Lip, when was the last time Deryck actually sang "But what would you expect with a conscience so small" with the word "conscience"? In early AKNF days yeah, but ever since he's replaced it with either "penis" or "dick". Why the sudden change? :confusion:

yeah that, and I also noticed in motivation he actually said "stupid things" like the CD version, rather than stupid shit or fucking shit.
Last edited by spider-man on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

I'm loving the tone of Cone's bass.
[donate][/donate]
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:I'm loving the tone of Cone's bass.
I liked the clean tone better, at least for most of the songs. For example at the Winterjam 2003. Btw. as I watch that performance again I notice how much their live performance has changed over the years.

Take In Too Deep:

- Regular beginning replaced with postchorus intrumental part
- Deryck no longer plays the backing chords right before the chorus
- Steve used to play almost clean 1/8 notes on the ride during the chorus, now he plays much heavier 1/4s similar to the studio version and a lot more varying fills
- in the chorus Dave only doubled Deryck's vocals, Tom sings the actual backing vocals (which I think do not work live at all... I'm sorry but he can't sing that high and powerful on stage without sounding ridiculous, Paint It Black was fine though)

The one thing that bothers me most about their live performance these days is the messed up guitar sound. Their live engineer needs to have his ears checked, I can't imagine Deryck would appprove of the current situation. They're never loud enough and sound thin and fuzzy. Before UH, that was never an issue.

Another thing I don't exactly like is that their show is pretty much all scripted now. But may be that has always been the case and I just never noticed it because the first time I actually saw them live was in 2007.

Alright, time to get the recording ready.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
PTswim41
Billy Spleen
First name: Dan

Post by PTswim41 »

Simon wrote:
I liked the clean tone better, at least for most of the songs. For example at the Winterjam 2003. Btw. as I watch that performance again I notice how much their live performance has changed over the years.

Take In Too Deep:

- Steve used to play almost clean 1/8 notes on the ride during the chorus, now he plays much heavier 1/4s similar to the studio version and a lot more varying fills
- in the chorus Dave only doubled Deryck's vocals, Tom sings the actual backing vocals (which I think do not work live at all... I'm sorry but he can't sing that high and powerful on stage without sounding ridiculous, Paint It Black was fine though)

The one thing that bothers me most about their live performance these days is the messed up guitar sound. Their live engineer needs to have his ears checked, I can't imagine Deryck would appprove of the current situation. They're never loud enough and sound thin and fuzzy. Before UH, that was never an issue.

Another thing I don't exactly like is that their show is pretty much all scripted now. But may be that has always been the case and I just never noticed it because the first time I actually saw them live was in 2007.

yeah if you watch youtube videos of their old shows or even listen to go chuck yourself and compare it to the show they play now its very similar. I agree with you that it seems scrpited. Deryck has been saying the same stuff between songs forever now..."well well well well" , "whats up you crazy mother fuckers?!"....ect ect
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Simon wrote:The one thing that bothers me most about their live performance these days is the messed up guitar sound. Their live engineer needs to have his ears checked, I can't imagine Deryck would appprove of the current situation. They're never loud enough and sound thin and fuzzy. Before UH, that was never an issue.

I know exactly what you mean with the guitar tone. Take Over My Head for example. Watch these Summer Sonic videos and try not to cringe in the change of guitar tone. It's absolutely terrible. I really hope they resolve this problem in full by the time their world tour begins.

Summer Sonic 2004
Summer Sonic 2007
As for scripted live shows or shows where Deryck says the same things from show to show, he's basically been doing that since 2005-ish. "What's going on you crazy motherfuckers?!" and "Don't go dying on me now, I need you now more than ever!" Seem to be lines I hear over and over again.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

Simon wrote:

Take In Too Deep:

The Winterjam concert is probably the best live performance video I've seen from them. In terms of how much effort Deryck put into the screaming parts, Dave's play, and it was straight fucking heavy.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

When it comes to the guitar level, you have to allow for the fact that the guitar is going to bounce around the room a lot more than the bass and most of the drumkit. In these videos, you're getting the sound board mix which is the levels on the front of house faders that the engineer has set. But in the actual room it's taking place in, the crowd can hear higher frequencies bouncing around the room whilst the lower end is more of a presence that travels. This is why the engineer has the guitar's levels down lower on the console.

If you're a member of the audience, the bass guitar and kick drum hit you straight in the diaphram which is what gets you moving at such events - you can literally feel the rhyhtm. The guitars are amplified to the hall, bounce around and hit you in the ears which means you can hear the colour of the sound.

As for the guitar tones, I'm sure Deryck being the control freak that he is has a lot of input into how their guitars sound live. Maybe it sounds great to his ears? I wouldnt mind a bit more chunk in Tom's sound and for Whibley to get rid of his Fenders completely!
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

fergal41 wrote:When it comes to the guitar level, you have to allow for the fact that the guitar is going to bounce around the room a lot more than the bass and most of the drumkit. In these videos, you're getting the sound board mix which is the levels on the front of house faders that the engineer has set. But in the actual room it's taking place in, the crowd can hear higher frequencies bouncing around the room whilst the lower end is more of a presence that travels. This is why the engineer has the guitar's levels down lower on the console.

If you're a member of the audience, the bass guitar and kick drum hit you straight in the diaphram which is what gets you moving at such events - you can literally feel the rhyhtm. The guitars are amplified to the hall, bounce around and hit you in the ears which means you can hear the colour of the sound.
What you described are basic physics, so it should have always been a factor and not suddenly have that much of an impact on the guitar sound. Either Deryck has a very different taste for guitar sound live than in the studio or it is the engineers fault and he doesn't care/notice it much.

Besides, how the guitars sound to the audience and in the broadcast/recording are two different things and you can even tell in this particular show that there are two separate mixdowns for each purpose. Sometimes when they switch to a different guitar tone, you can only hear the guitar being recorded by the ambience microphones which are supposed to record the crowd noise (example: King of Contradiction, right after "your time is up, so"). The audience got the guitar, because even if it wasn't going through the main speakers, the amp would be still right there on stage. Same thing happens to Steve's vocals in Fat Lip very often because they forget about his mic. Every unused source adds noise to the broadcast/recording and is therefor usually muted or at a minimum level until needed. The audience doesn't care about a little noise, so unless there's a feedback possibility, mics don't have to be muted.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that the acoustic side of it was only really factored in for the crowd - I don't think the sound engineer and/or the band care too much for the sound going out on a free webcast. They're not going to compromise their regular front of house sound or bother to set up a separate mix for the sake of a one off webcast.

I know what you mean about the KOC breakdown, but I don't think that was the ambience microphones picking the sound up there. That could be anything, such as a pedal's preamp not being too powerful or Tom not levelling off his clean and distorted sounds. I think if the ambience microphones were powerful enough to pick up Steve screaming his Fat Lip vocals then every obnoxious member of the audience would be more in the mix than the band and they would have added to the guitar's level.

Thats just the conclusion I came to when I watched it! :)
maxpayne4664

Post by maxpayne4664 »

Wow that guitar tone in the Summer Sonic 07 video is weak.