Guitar Pickups.

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Guitar Pickups.

Post by Jake-41 »

Any suggestions?
I sold muh squier, and now i have an Epiphone Les Paul Studio, in alpine white. MSRP: $500.00
Anytime i could improve something, i do.
Just don't let the suggestions exceed about $125.00, as im not rich by any means.

GO!!
Jeremy Kill
Re: Guitar Pickups.

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck (JB). It's the same one Billie Joe and Deryck use. You put that into the bridge and you can put a SH-2n Jazz in the neck. It's a popular combo. I've never done it though so I don't know what it sounds like. The JB alone is about $70.

Or the Gibson Dirty Fingers. Tom Delonge uses it and it's about $100 - $120.

You probably won't go wrong with the JB anyway.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Hmmm, after i sold all my valuables to buy the LP. I only haz enough for one JB. Would it be okay combined with the original stock pickup?

EDIT: Your welcome, Boni. But ermm... This? http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=300035
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Jake-41 wrote:Hmmm, after i sold all my valuables to buy the LP. I only haz enough for one JB. Would it be okay combined with the original stock pickup?

EDIT: Your welcome, Boni. But ermm... This? http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=300035
Yeah, that's the one. You can install it into the bridge and just leave your neck pickup alone. When you play, you can switch your guitar to "Treble" so then just the JB is on.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Gunner wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:Hmmm, after i sold all my valuables to buy the LP. I only haz enough for one JB. Would it be okay combined with the original stock pickup?

Yeah, that's the one. You can install it into the bridge and just leave your neck pickup alone. When you play, you can switch your guitar to "Treble" so then just the JB is on.
Thanks, if this is the exact pickup you use in your telecaster, then i can't see why i woulden't get one.
Also, you would agree this is better than any stock pickup?

EDIT: No guitar expert here, it would work in this?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=512585
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Jake-41 wrote:Also, you would agree this is better than any stock pickup?
I wouldn't say that, but it's probably better than the ones in your Epiphone. Most guitars from brands like Fender or Gibson have pretty good pickups to begin with. It's just a matter of the player's tastes and how they want their guitar to sound.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Gunner wrote:
I wouldn't say that, but it's probably better than the ones in your Epiphone. Most guitars from brands like Fender or Gibson have pretty good pickups to begin with. It's just a matter of the player's tastes and how they want their guitar to sound.
Ya, some have awesome P-90's in em and shit.
But lyek, if Deryck uses em and stuff, their not terrible. I play ton's of Sum 41 anyway.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Jake-41 wrote:
Gunner wrote:
Ya, some have awesome P-90's in em and shit.
But lyek, if Deryck uses em and stuff, their not terrible. I play ton's of Sum 41 anyway.
If that's the case, then the JB is the one to get.

The stock pickup in Deryck's signature Squier was supposedly based off of the JB. It just has a shittier tone to it. If anyone owns a Deryck Squier, get rid of the HB-102 and replace it with the JB.
Matthewfreire
First name: Matthew

Post by Matthewfreire »

I use a seymour duncan distortion bridge SH-6 pickup on an epiphone les paul standard.....its what deryck used to use in the olden days on his gold top, i even think he still has it on that les paul goldtop that Tom sometimes plays with live. (the beat up looking les paul)

heres a link to the pickup:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/e ... ncan_dist/
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Matthewfreire wrote:I use a seymour duncan distortion bridge SH-6 pickup on an epiphone les paul standard.....its what deryck used to use in the olden days on his gold top, i even think he still has it on that les paul goldtop that Tom sometimes plays with live. (the beat up looking les paul)

Woah!
This gets 72 reveiws for 5 stars on Musicians Friend. Damn, thanks!!!
I just, i dunno. Jeremy's guitar sounds fuckin awesome. And from your vids, that being if that's the pickup in your Epiphone, sounds fuckin awesome too. If i had enough money, i'd get both. Haha.
Oddly enough, this pickup with the JB is a common combination.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

Matthewfreire wrote:I use a seymour duncan distortion bridge SH-6 pickup on an epiphone les paul standard.....its what deryck used to use in the olden days on his gold top, i even think he still has it on that les paul goldtop that Tom sometimes plays with live. (the beat up looking les paul)

OMG!>!>! SUM FAHRTE ONE SUPPPPPAAAA FAAAANNNN!!!!!
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Matthewfreire

Post by Matthewfreire »

Jake-41 wrote:

Woah!
I just, i dunno. Jeremy's guitar sounds fuckin awesome. And from your vids, that being if that's the pickup in your Epiphone, sounds fuckin awesome too. If i had enough money, i'd get both. Haha.

thanks, and yeah it is on the guitar i use in my videos. but its not that expensive.... i bought it like 3 years ago for like around $90 Canadian....if you install it your self its cheaper (its not that hard at all), but if you want them to install it, it will cost a little more. If your from Canada, i suggest you give Long & Mcquade a visit.....not sure if they have those music stores in USA

check out this video, this is the pickup im talking about:
goto 1:30 and listen from there...sounds fucking amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEYm8Io2ZA4
Last edited by Matthewfreire on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matthewfreire

Post by Matthewfreire »

2712 wrote:

OMG!>!>! SUM FAHRTE ONE SUPPPPPAAAA FAAAANNNN!!!!!

thanks for noticing :winkwink:
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Jake-41 wrote:

Woah!
The guitar Deryck uses in this video is equipped with the JB. Go to 6:00, that's where you can hear it.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Matthewfreire wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:

Woah!

thanks, and yeah it is on the guitar i use in my videos. but its not that expensive.... i bought it like 3 years ago for like around $90 Canadian....if you install it your self its cheaper (its not that hard at all), but if you want them to install it, it will cost a little more. If your from Canada, i suggest you give Long & Mcquade a visit.....not sure if they have those music stores in USA

Shit.
That sounds pretty fuckin' beefy.

Your opinion Jeremy?
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Jake-41 wrote:
Matthewfreire wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:

Woah!

Shit.
That sounds pretty fuckin' beefy.

Your opinion Jeremy?
It's sounds good, but it's unfair for me to judge a pickup and influence your choice based on a YouTube video, but in my opinion it sounds harsher than the JB. It's hard for me to explain, but compare:

1:55 of this video to
7:00 of this video
The JB has a more rounder sound to it. The SH-6 is more punky, grungy, dirty sounding.
Matthewfreire

Post by Matthewfreire »

you said it perfectly. I think they are both great pickups that put out great sound and tone, but in the end it just comes down to personal preference. but that JB pickup sounds pretty intense, i might have to look into one my self lol
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

I dunno, i like a more... Grungy, distorted, heavy tone.

But the JB is pretty damn sexy, it's a bit more rounder on the grungy sound, it's hard, and it's got great tone. I'll just have to sit and think about it.
Thanks guys.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Matthewfreire wrote:you said it perfectly. I think they are both great pickups that put out great sound and tone, but in the end it just comes down to personal preference. but that JB pickup sounds pretty intense, i might have to look into one my self lol
Exactly. Everyone has their own vision of their "perfect tone".

And Jake, I don't think you'll go wrong with picking either one. You can still mold your sound with your amp and effects pedals, if you have any. But if you like a harder-hitting tone, the SH-6 will be the one to choose.