Who doesnt like the Underlcass Hero Era?

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Jeremy Kill
Re: Who doesnt like the Underlcass Hero Era?

Post by Jeremy Kill »

finglemaster wrote:How do all the songs on Underclass Hero sound the same?

for example, King of Contradiction, With Me, March of the Dogs don't sound the same to me
that's a fourth of the album right there
I think it's more of using the same parts rather than the songs actually sounding alike. But the verse melody in March of the Dogs is the same as the first verse melody in Walking Disaster and in Dear Father. The note that's diddled at the beginning in March of the Dogs is diddled in the first verse of Walking Disaster and at the end of Count Your Last Blessings. Tracks 2, 4, 10 and 13 use the same chord progressions.

But I think Deryck did that all on purpose.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

If he did what's the point of having that many songs if you try to make everyone sound similiar?
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

yeah, I don't think he did.
cool kids
Ma Poubelle

Post by cool kids »

Jeremy wrote:
finglemaster wrote:How do all the songs on Underclass Hero sound the same?

for example, King of Contradiction, With Me, March of the Dogs don't sound the same to me
that's a fourth of the album right there
I think it's more of using the same parts rather than the songs actually sounding alike. But the verse melody in March of the Dogs is the same as the first verse melody in Walking Disaster and in Dear Father. The note that's diddled at the beginning in March of the Dogs is diddled in the first verse of Walking Disaster and at the end of Count Your Last Blessings. Tracks 2, 4, 10 and 13 use the same chord progressions.

But I think Deryck did that all on purpose.
yeah thats what i meant.
July 5 2003 Sum 41 show
PunkSteve
Bunkface

Post by PunkSteve »

Jeremy wrote:
PunkSteve wrote:i love the UCH era, i think its the best of sum41 so far... really punk-rock, and great lyrically... still even better to come though! :)
I actually thought it was more poppy and not as "punk-rock." It was okay lyrically though.
yeah i agree, it was a lot more commercial, with the tracks like 'with me' ,etc/... maybe they were aiming for more airtime etc??

but it sounds like theyve scrapped that idea, with the next one hoping to be harder than ever! :) i hpe dave is back for the next one to be honest, that really would be awesome !
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

PunkSteve wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
PunkSteve wrote:i love the UCH era, i think its the best of sum41 so far... really punk-rock, and great lyrically... still even better to come though! :)
I actually thought it was more poppy and not as "punk-rock." It was okay lyrically though.
yeah i agree, it was a lot more commercial, with the tracks like 'with me' ,etc/... maybe they were aiming for more airtime etc??

but it sounds like theyve scrapped that idea, with the next one hoping to be harder than ever! :) i hpe dave is back for the next one to be honest, that really would be awesome !
HYPOCRITE! GTFO!
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

That's a weird change of opinions. In one post you claim UH to be their best so far and in the next it seems like you changed your opinions to what everyone else was posting.
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

yeah well he didn't say he liked it any less, he just said it was more commercial, which no one can deny. I like alot of commercial albums.
Glenny41
First name: Glen
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by Glenny41 »

its not there best... but oh well its still better than most other shitty emo bands
TnkA
First name: Daniel

Post by TnkA »

I didnt enjoy it as much as all the other era's.
and it sucks more that Brown left
I dont lyk Tom at all
jackzagal
First name: Jose

Post by jackzagal »

I think UH was a transition album for them. I've got that feeling. Dave left the band and it was something important and it sure affected to rest of members. And talking about personal life, the guys fell in love, got married and all that. Deryck somehow "needed" to express all her feelings with lyrics and also to be producer of songs. I don't know very much about Sum 41 history, because I'm fan since 1 year and half or so, but that's what I think...

Personally I liked UH album, I can't tell about live stuff because I didn't go to any concert, and I haven't seen many videos of their live perfomance as well. However, I understand that a lot of fans didn't like it, since it's not so good as previous albums and they quite lost their esence. But I think a second chance is deserved, any band/artist is able to have a bad album, nobody's perfect.

"I tried to be perfect, but nothing was worth it." Pieces, Chuck, Sum 41.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

jackzagal wrote:I think UH was a transition album for them. I've got that feeling. Dave left the band and it was something important and it sure affected to rest of members. And talking about personal life, the guys fell in love, got married and all that. Deryck somehow "needed" to express all her feelings with lyrics and also to be producer of songs. I don't know very much about Sum 41 history, because I'm fan since 1 year and half or so, but that's what I think...

Personally I liked UH album, I can't tell about live stuff because I didn't go to any concert, and I haven't seen many videos of their live perfomance as well. However, I understand that a lot of fans didn't like it, since it's not so good as previous albums and they quite lost their esence. But I think a second chance is deserved, any band/artist is able to have a bad album, nobody's perfect.
True. No one can condemn Sum 41 on no longer being good by just a single album alone. Since the new album sounds like it's going to be the polar opposite of Underclass Hero, it'll probably determine whether or not Sum 41 can survive without Greig Nori and Dave.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

jackzagal wrote:I think UH was a transition album for them. I've got that feeling. Dave left the band and it was something important and it sure affected to rest of members. And talking about personal life, the guys fell in love, got married and all that. Deryck somehow "needed" to express all her feelings with lyrics and also to be producer of songs. I don't know very much about Sum 41 history, because I'm fan since 1 year and half or so, but that's what I think...

i never thought of Uh as a transition album but now that i think about it you could be right

btw are you jacklavigne from avrilspain?
jackzagal
First name: Jose

Post by jackzagal »

Still Waiting wrote: i never thought of Uh as a transition album but now that i think about it you could be right

btw are you jacklavigne from avrilspain?
Well, I've been thinking about it and that's the conclussion I got. So many changes in their lifes..

Yes, I am, I just changed "lavigne" and used "zagal", because I didn't want to use "lavigne" in a Sum 41 forum. Do I know you? :ohshiz: :silly:

"I tried to be perfect, but nothing was worth it." Pieces, Chuck, Sum 41.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

my username there is converse_182
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

lol this thread has been here forever, and I just now noticed it said lcass instead of class.........

anyway, when underclass hero first came out, I thought it was the best sum 41 album EVER. in fact I hated chuck at that point and was thrilled to have the pop-punk sum 41 back. but, of course, since then I've listened to more metal, so chuck/DTLI are now my favorite and I'm dying for the metal sum 41 back lol. but even so, it's a fun listen, songs like walking disaster and underclass hero will always be crazy catchy. and KOC is still one of my favorites

and about the whole UH era, I have to say, the live show REALLY went down a notch (going by videos, haven't seen them live ever). I can't believe they didn't notice how weak the guitar sound was. it made the more metal songs they did actually play sound too weak. and I don't blame that on tom by the way (I think he's cool) and the lack of a DVD, and videos in general really, was a downer for me. they had a dvd/CD for every tour before.
peacock181
Billy Spleen
First name: Ryan

Post by peacock181 »

i loved uh .... why everyone love chuck yeh it was a great album but you cant be a fan and moan and only like one album .. bands change.... exepriment and try new things.

as for album sales .... the music industry is in a hole .. no one buys records now ... most of its all downloads

when chuck and previous albums were out this problem wasent as bad

i saw sum Glasgow last year blew me away .....Deryck was great showman energetic they had a laugh and played greatest hits a duno just seemsed a great fun show

and tom did well havin to live up to brownsound
Heart Like A Hand Greanade
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

peacock181 wrote:i loved uh .... why everyone love chuck yeh it was a great album but you cant be a fan and moan and only like one album .. bands change.... exepriment and try new things.
Too bad nobody here only likes one album.
peacock181
Billy Spleen
First name: Ryan

Post by peacock181 »

great well everyone stop sucking up to chuck

and move on enjoy the music
Heart Like A Hand Greanade
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

peacock181 wrote:great well everyone stop sucking up to chuck
Hey, don't tell us what to do! You like Underclass Hero, so you should understand this concept.