Drinking in England

Whatever you want to talk about!
Patrick
Billy Spleen
First name: Patrick
Instrument 2: Guitar

Drinking in England

Post by Patrick »

So I spent 3 weeks in England this summer and I went to asda or tesco (can't remember) and I wanted to buy some beer and cider, and they asked for my ID. Well, I'm 19 years old so I didn't mind showing it, but they said that I have to be 25. Why the f*** is that?

I ordered my beer in pubs and they didn't ask for my ID. And in some smaller shops you only have to be like 21 or 23.

Can anyone explain that?

budgie
Underclass Hero
Re: Drinking in England

Post by budgie »

really?
thats the first ive heard of it...
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

i went to scotland and i tried to order coca cola in a pub and the waitress asked for my ID i din't have it so i just gave her my passport she said you are 16 and i said yeah , ican't sell you anything i said wtf i din't order alcohol i just want a coca cola , she didn't give me the drink and i had to left
now i understand why the british teenagers love my country no one ask you your id here
Patrick
Billy Spleen

Post by Patrick »

Ok, that's weird. No one asks for your ID on Austria either.

[stoked-cow]
Billy Spleen
First name: matt

Post by [stoked-cow] »

um, i think it's something to do with 'if you look under 18, you must be 21 to buy alcohol'. but i'm from wales so it just rains here, it's the ultimate sobering device! :holyshit:
King of Contradiction
Bunkface

Post by King of Contradiction »

Here's the deal homeskillit.

The legal drinking age is 18 in the UK.

By law, if you look under 21 the person behind the till or the barman/maid has to ask you for valid ID to prove you are of drinking age. This doesn't mean you have to be 21, it's just if the seller thinks you look under that age then they have to double check otherwise they can get seriously fined. I don't think it has anything to do with you not being from the country, at my university we used to get students come over from america and get wasted 24/7 because it was legal for them to drink here.

In the coke drink case, I'm not entirely sure what to say except I lived in Scotland for seven years and not once did I come across such a case, I think in most UK pubs if you're under 18 and not with a guardian or someone over the legal age then they can't serve you. Tis just the way it is, it varies from pub to pub I guess.

Hope that cleared up any questions you guys had!
LTS
Underclass Zero

Post by LTS »

^ lucky, drinking age is 21 in america..
One of a Kind of Something
Patrick
Billy Spleen

Post by Patrick »

That cleared most of my questions, but why do you have to be 25 (at least at asda's) to buy alcohol?

Peterr
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Peter

Post by Peterr »

King of Contradiction wrote:Here's the deal homeskillit.

By law, if you look under 21 the person behind the till or the barman/maid has to ask you for valid ID to prove you are of drinking age. This doesn't mean you have to be 21, it's just if the seller thinks you look under that age then they have to double check otherwise they can get seriously fined. I don't think it has anything to do with you not being from the country, at my university we used to get students come over from america and get wasted 24/7 because it was legal for them to drink here.

In the coke drink case, I'm not entirely sure what to say except I lived in Scotland for seven years and not once did I come across such a case, I think in most UK pubs if you're under 18 and not with a guardian or someone over the legal age then they can't serve you. Tis just the way it is, it varies from pub to pub I guess.

dude!?? Were have you been? Your were one of the most kickass users back when we had the forum down and the chatroom.
tomhoppus
Transvestite God
First name: Ladd Mitchell
Instrument 1: My shite guitar
Instrument 2: My aight guitar

Post by tomhoppus »

(Rock) Superstar wrote:

dude!?? Were have you been? Your were one of the most kickass users back when we had the forum down and the chatroom.
that was hilarious when there was like 5 King of Contradictions
ConeBizzy32 wrote:
Something Corporate wrote: I still cant get into the PD media sec
Working on your request makes me a PD? I can't believe how small a man can be.
Peterr
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Peterr »

Say Goodnight wrote:
(Rock) Superstar wrote:

and all te Nics.. :hehe:
tomhoppus
Transvestite God
First name: Ladd Mitchell
Instrument 1: My shite guitar
Instrument 2: My aight guitar

Post by tomhoppus »

(Rock) Superstar wrote:
Say Goodnight wrote:
(Rock) Superstar wrote:

lol, weren't you accused as one of them?
ConeBizzy32 wrote:
Something Corporate wrote: I still cant get into the PD media sec
Working on your request makes me a PD? I can't believe how small a man can be.
Peterr
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Peterr »

Say Goodnight wrote:
(Rock) Superstar wrote:
Say Goodnight wrote:
(Rock) Superstar wrote:

lol, weren't you accused as one of them?
yeah, i stayed around after all of them left and Nic yelled @ me. Then said he would ban me...
King of Contradiction
Bunkface

Patrick wrote:That cleared most of my questions, but why do you have to be 25 (at least at asda's) to buy alcohol?

I honestly don't know how that could happen, I'm 20 and I can walk into Asda and buy all the alcahol I want (not that I do) so unless the store has some specific rules at a specific time of the day (which is highly unlikely) then I think you just got shortchanged on the whole situation by some checkout monkey who just didn't want to sell you alcahol. I'd check the ASDA site but i'm not that helpful.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

our country is shit. i recommend not coming here. ever.

as for the ASDA thing, they must f just being pricks, there's no way you have to be 25 to buy alcohol over here.
King of Contradiction
Bunkface

I wouldn't say it's a terrible country but I don't see why anyone from another country would want to come over here when there are hundreds of other places that are many times better and probably cheaper to visit. Then again everyone seems to want to move to our country and open various cuisine reasurants that we already have too many of.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

and corner shops. we have hundreds of them here where i live. all run by either Indians or Pakistanis. and then all the Turks come here and open kebab houses. we don't have nice restaurants, we just have hundreds of kebab shops
Patrick
Billy Spleen

Post by Patrick »

bobbyjames wrote:and corner shops. we have hundreds of them here where i live. all run by either Indians or Pakistanis. and then all the Turks come here and open kebab houses. we don't have nice restaurants, we just have hundreds of kebab shops
Yes I've seen those when I was in England! :glad:

Well that ASDA is in Southampton, maybe that's a reason, but I don't know. It was written all over in ASDA "If you are under 25, we don't sell alcohol to you", or something like that.

Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

some of my classmates were over 18
and bobby your country is pretty cool ,you have museums(FREE with CAFETERIA !!!)i'm sure the british musuem kicks ass damn i'll visit it next year yay ... cool concerts , nice people, pretty cool landscape, and a shitty weather that and the close-the pubs-soon law are probably the worst thing of the uk
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

to be fair, i do love the UK. lol. there are far far worse and poorer countries i could be living in, i have to be greatful for the life i have been given and for the lifestyle my parents have given me. and for certain reasons, i would reccomend coming to the UK, mainly for Bobbyjames, he is a national treasure.