Titus Andronicus

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Jeremy Kill
Titus Andronicus

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I read about them on the plane ride home in Rolling Stone. I just bought their latest album, The Monitor, from iTunes and most of there songs are long as shit (clocking in over 7 to 8 minutes). Though they sounded pretty interesting, here's a sample of the article:
Punk-rock history lessons from a raucous Jersey crew

Who: New Jersey five-piece who deliver Springsteen-style anthems about blue-collar American life with the shambolic, punk-as-fuck force of the Clash. "Being from Jersey is a huge part of our identity," says bassist Ian Graetzer. "Growing up, we'd go to all these shows at VFW halls and basements in New Brunswick. The music we liked only existed in Jersey."

Sound: Titus fuse the brawn of punk rock with the brainy ambitions of prog - their new record, The Monitor, is a concept album about the Civil War. Singer Patrick Stickles was inspired after watching Ken Burns' documentary on the subject. "It's got everything," he says. "Larger-than-life characters, great battles, brothers killing brothers, the new birth of freedom. I guess I'm drawn to epic things."

Key Track: "Theme from 'Cheers'" was inspired by Stickles' favorite townie bar, the Glen Rock Inn, where he often hangs out with his dad.
http://www.myspace.com/titusandronicus

The words "Springsteen" and "Jersey" made me think of The Gaslight Anthem. I'm not sure what to think of them yet, I've only listened to four songs so far. Though if you enjoy The Gaslight Anthem sound and don't mind prog, check these guys out.