BlackBox Pro-Audio Speaker

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.

BlackBox Pro-Audio Speaker

Postby Heather on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:26 pm

I know there's a lot of musicians on here, so I wanted to make a post about this new product Devin Bronson (guitarist for Avril Lavigne, David Cook, good friends with Sums, was once in Treble Charger) and I are involved with.

It's a high-performance all-wood speaker system with a built-in digital amplifier called the BlackBox.

Deryck already has one and Tom might be getting on too.

Devin uses this as a reference monitor in the studio. But it's a great multipurpose speaker. It can set up to your iRig or any iPhone/iPad guitar emulator. It hooks up to TVs, Computers, CD players, Video Games and can be used in the car. It's as good as a Marshall Hanwell, but at an affordable price of $295

BLACKBOX WEBSITE: http://www.bassnationaudio.com/home/


Click to view the fullsize image.

BLACKBOX FEATURES

· High Power Digital Amplifier with EQ
· Dual 6.5” Woofers for Deep Bass Response
· Dual 1” High Efficiency Tweeters
· Bass Reflex Ported Enclosure
· PRO-GRADE Vinyl Wrapped MDF (wood) Enclosure
· Manual Volume Control
· Power On/Off LED
· Stereo Mini Jack and Stereo L/R Audio Inputs (cables included)
· 12 Volt Car Power Adapter (works in your car)
· AC Input Adapter (plugs into your wall power outlet)
· Steel Corner Protectors
· Steel Speaker Grills with Steel Grill Clamps
· Heavy Duty Rubber and Steel Carrying Handle

BLACKBOX SPECIFICATIONS

· 50 Watts Total Power Output
· 104 dB Maximum SPL
· 8 Ohm Speakers (Nominal)
· 96 dB Sensitivity (1 Meter)
· Frequency Range 69Hz-20Khz
· Weight: 14 pounds
· 8.5”H x 20”W x 8.5”D

I'll pass on any feedback to Devin and let him know what TNS thinks!
Image
User avatar

Heather
Moderator
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: South Carolina
First name: Heather
Age: 26
Gender:
Instrument 1: vocals
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Postby Heather on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:11 pm

New video of Devin rockin' the BlackBox with iRig

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=161420400676447
Image
User avatar

Heather
Moderator
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: South Carolina
First name: Heather
Age: 26
Gender:
Instrument 1: vocals
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Postby Tyler. on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Looks kinda cool I would blow some money on it if I had any lol
Image
User avatar

Tyler.
Chuck
 
Posts: 2080
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:01 pm
Location: Australia
First name: Tyler
Age: 22
Gender:
n00b: Gutter Dreams
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Re: BlackBox Pro-Audio Speaker

Postby HugoDisasters on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:24 pm

I'd like to know why this product should be considered useful to a musician.
I want to know more about it, is there ways i can implement this that will improve my experience with music other than connecting IRig to it (which i wouldn't even bother doing if i was serious about my music).

It looks like a promising product but it lacks ideas of implementation in daily musicianship. Check out the product JamHub for example, I'd say it's the king of implementation. There is just so many ways to use that product to enhance your experience.

If you could make a speaker that has the equal level of implementation, I'd be sold out on it right away.

Click to view the fullsize image.
User avatar

HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
 
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:19 pm
Location: Sweden
Age: 0
Gender:
n00b: You.
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Postby Dylan on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:23 pm

This seems interesting but what concerns me about this is the frequency range. it can't play lower than 69hz? That doesn't seem right to me. I know that humans can hear down as low as 20Hz (more likely 30hz). Also, the fundamental harmonic of a open E on bass guitar is around 41hz. I'm not claiming to be an expert but for a company claiming to be "Bass Nation Audio", i'd expect them to be making real bass rocking speakers.

I feel like that's a mistake because it just doesn't seem right. I like the idea and the system looks killer, I'd have to hear the system to be sure.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."
Image

Follow me on Twitter!
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
 
Posts: 6786
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:44 pm
First name: Dylan
Age: 20
Gender:
AKA: NoReason27, 2712
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Postby Tyler. on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:25 am

Yeah you wouldn't wanna mix with it properly if you didn't have a subwoofer as well, but it still looks cool and would be handy to have around and as a 2nd reference speaker. I guess they'd have to sacrifice portability to make bigger speakers to include the low frequencies.

A lot of people seem to mix at home on little 5" monitors that don't have that low end either, I guess you just gotta keep in the back of your head that you're not hearing some of the music...
Image
User avatar

Tyler.
Chuck
 
Posts: 2080
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:01 pm
Location: Australia
First name: Tyler
Age: 22
Gender:
n00b: Gutter Dreams
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Re: BlackBox Pro-Audio Speaker

Postby Heather on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:54 am

Hey Guys, sent your feeback over to Devin and the owner of Bass Nation Audio, Steffen Meeks.

Steffen's replies

HugoDisasters wrote:I'd like to know why this product should be considered useful to a musician.


The BlackBox is a consumer product that is in the performance category of BOSE SYS 10 and B&W Zeppelin (both $600.00)at half the cost ($300.00) and if you like wood and vinyl trimmed with metal rather than plastic…well then you just may like the look,…when we design the unit we kept the frequency response flat and true and musicians that record appreciate that during playback for a true impression of what the recording sounds like without the unit overhyping the bass frequencies (which also creates distortion when you crank it)

HugoDisasters wrote:I want to know more about it, is there ways i can implement this that will improve my experience with music other than connecting IRig to it (which i wouldn't even bother doing if i was serious about my music).


It’s not a purpose built musician’s loudspeaker for “on stage”….BUT it’s a great little near field practice and jam session unit AND its travels well….why travel with a Beat Box at $400 when you can travel with a BlackBox (kicks Beats ASS too)…..as for the iRIG you make a great point….. Keep in mind there are alotta guys out there that just wanna rock and the iRIG allows that for 40 bucks so I think IKM is cool kinda like it’s better to have a slow car than no car.

HugoDisasters wrote:It looks like a promising product but it lacks ideas of implementation in daily musicianship. Check out the product JamHub for example, I'd say it's the king of implementation. There is just so many ways to use that product to enhance your experience.


There is just so many ways to use that product to enhance your experience. Get a Jam Hub or POD and for sure the BlackBox will rock you even MORE!

HugoDisasters wrote:If you could make a speaker that has the equal level of implementation, I'd be sold out on it right away.


Stay tuned but be prepared to spend a tad more man.

-------
TheWatchmaker wrote:This seems interesting but what concerns me about this is the frequency range. it can't play lower than 69hz? That doesn't seem right to me. I know that humans can hear down as low as 20Hz (more likely 30hz). Also, the fundamental harmonic of a open E on bass guitar is around 41hz. I'm not claiming to be an expert but for a company claiming to be "Bass Nation Audio", i'd expect them to be making real bass rocking speakers.

I feel like that's a mistake because it just doesn't seem right. I like the idea and the system looks killer, I'd have to hear the system to be sure.


Defiantly audition the unit if you like the look …our Frequency Range 69-20,000 Hz is +- 3DB (the unit will reproduce down into the 40’s but not a flat frequency response) which is in line with studio monitors…but that’s too simple of a response. Lets deep dive…At $300 retail we have $90 to buy raw material and develop an active speaker. We can choose 2 paths…

1. LOUD and Clear at full power

2. LOUD and more bass-and NOT so clear at full power

We choose #1 …..You can always crank up the bass in your music source (pre amp), just be careful to monitor the units gain and avoid long periods of distorted operation.

Tyler. wrote:Yeah you wouldn't wanna mix with it properly if you didn't have a subwoofer as well, but it still looks cool and would be handy to have around and as a 2nd reference speaker. I guess they'd have to sacrifice portability to make bigger speakers to include the low frequencies.

A lot of people seem to mix at home on little 5" monitors that don't have that low end either, I guess you just gotta keep in the back of your head that you're not hearing some of the music...


Excellent comment and absolutely true story!
Image
User avatar

Heather
Moderator
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: South Carolina
First name: Heather
Age: 26
Gender:
Instrument 1: vocals
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41


Return to Musicians

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron