Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe / new guitar question?

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
stevie486
Billy Spleen
First name: Stevie
Instrument 2: Vocals

Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe / new guitar question?

Post by stevie486 »

Ok I know the answer is somewhere already and I asked before am sure, but I am saving for new guitar and I was going to go for Tom Delonge's sginature Epiphone which seems ok, but now I am going for Fender Telecaster 72 Deluxe I think but Walnut one I think, I kinda want same guitar as Deryck and currently play Squier by Fender Telecaster Custom so kinda used to that guitar, but also want to that great tone to play stuff like sum 41, Blink-182, rock, punk, heavy rock etc which also write

does anyone know if SH-4 JB Bridge & SH-2n Jazz Neck is same one's Deryck has and if it's possible it will fit and be able to replace the guitar with those pick
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Re: Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe / new guitar question?

Post by Mitchell »

Deryck uses the Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 for in the bridge position
And he has the standard fender pickup in the neck position, but it's unwired..
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

stevie486 wrote:does anyone know if SH-4 JB Bridge & SH-2n Jazz Neck is same one's Deryck has and if it's possible it will fit and be able to replace the guitar with those pick
Like Mitchell already said, Deryck uses the SH-4 JB in the bridge. That's the only pickup that is being used in his guitars (any others are likely to be unwired).

If you're getting the Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe, you will need a custom pickguard for the SH-4 because it is smaller than the Wide Range Humbuckers that come with the Telecaster.

The best place to get a custom pickguard is this website: http://www.terrapinguitars.com/
Terrapin makes custom pickguards for authentic Fenders and Gibsons, so it's the ideal place to go.
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Post by Nic »

I'm building a walnut '72 Tele Deluxe right now actually. All I have left is the pickguard and the pickups (having a hard time deciding which pickups I want).
stevie486
Billy Spleen

Post by stevie486 »

aw cool thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated !

Didn't know needed new pickguard, what do I go for, all i want is same but so pickups will fit and in black as already is, what do I get guys?

aw cool didn't know he had one unwired, he only has master volume and tone knobs too doesn't he? how do you do that, that would be neat to do, I never built guitar or have no knowledge, the guitar does sound alright as it is but I kinda wanna get better sound and tone again with new pickups cos Tele's usually too clangy and more for country or blues, so am needing decent sound for punk/rock/alternative/pop-punk plus metal little, of what I play

this is site am buying from, cheapest found so far: http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_72_tele ... luxewa.htm

*another question: what's best guage for pop-punk, I currently use D-Addario's 10's, before I used Ernie Ball Reg Slinky, it is chunkier sound and someone said to me that for rhythm it's good which it is but am beginning to think do pop-punk bands use 9's cos it;s easier to do the alternative Blink kinda picking, cos always find it hard to get right, but I down palm muting is fine, am wondering if used 9s again I'd be able to play it easier, lol
Last edited by stevie486 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stevie486
Billy Spleen

Post by stevie486 »

Nic wrote:I'm building a walnut '72 Tele Deluxe right now actually. All I have left is the pickguard and the pickups (having a hard time deciding which pickups I want).
aww sweet man, wish I knew how to build a guitar, yeah I was like that wasn't sure what pickups to go for but then I thought well I like sound Deryck has and he's got most all sounds he needs for type music so I'm jus going with SH-4 JB & I read on Seymour Duncan site that SH-n2 Jazz was popular pairing choice, cos think am goanna buy hot rod set you get, apparently you get nice clean sounds from Jazz one so that's kinda what want, a nice clean tone for clean and good clean tone for Distortion, so all sounds bitchin', hehe
GonoszMano

Post by GonoszMano »

stevie486 wrote:
Nic wrote:I'm building a walnut '72 Tele Deluxe right now actually. All I have left is the pickguard and the pickups (having a hard time deciding which pickups I want).
aww sweet man, wish I knew how to build a guitar, yeah I was like that wasn't sure what pickups to go for but then I thought well I like sound Deryck has and he's got most all sounds he needs for type music so I'm jus going with SH-4 JB & I read on Seymour Duncan site that SH-n2 Jazz was popular pairing choice, cos think am goanna buy hot rod set you get, apparently you get nice clean sounds from Jazz one so that's kinda what want, a nice clean tone for clean and good clean tone for Distortion, so all sounds bitchin', hehe
An other good choice would be a JB neck and a '59 bridge pu.
Got a no-string guitar, got a SUNN Beta head, I'm a rock and roll star,
I ain't no musician, some things are stranger than fishin'!
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Skip the Fenders and get a LP Custom instead.
stevie486
Billy Spleen

Post by stevie486 »

Emil wrote:Skip the Fenders and get a LP Custom instead.
lol, can't afford a Gibson, Epiphone one's any good?
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Well I guess it depends for the epiphones... I tried one at my university's studio, and I found it pretty cool. Tbh I don't think you can go wrong with fender or the epiphone !
Pocket Monkey
First name: David
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Pocket Monkey »

stevie486 wrote:
Emil wrote:Skip the Fenders and get a LP Custom instead.
lol, can't afford a Gibson, Epiphone one's any good?
Other then the new hallow bodies they recently released, i would not suggest it. I've played a Gibson while guitar shopping then an Epiphone of the similar model, it felt totally different and horrible, i found nothing good about it.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Epiphone Les Pauls are definatly worth the money. I got a Standard but i played a Custom aswell and both are awesome.
stevie486
Billy Spleen

Post by stevie486 »

Ok i have decided I am going for guitar first liked and was going to get. Not going to get Les Paul although they are great sounding guiars, the Gibson one's but I don't like the bridge, saddle thing and I think prefer Fender for more clear tone they have

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_custom_ ... 2e8a4c6b3d

Going for that one but I have one last question, it looks like the pickups are hopefully same size as Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB, but I don't know,I really hope it's hopefully same size, so I can just get the bridge pickup changed to the SH-4 JB instead later on to improve sound again ?
stevie486
Billy Spleen

Post by stevie486 »

looked on Seymour ducan website and measurments are all exactly the same ! yay it fits
GonoszMano

Post by GonoszMano »

stevie486 wrote:Ok i have decided I am going for guitar first liked and was going to get. Not going to get Les Paul although they are great sounding guiars, the Gibson one's but I don't like the bridge, saddle thing and I think prefer Fender for more clear tone they have

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_custom_ ... 2e8a4c6b3d

Going for that one but I have one last question, it looks like the pickups are hopefully same size as Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB, but I don't know,I really hope it's hopefully same size, so I can just get the bridge pickup changed to the SH-4 JB instead later on to improve sound again ?
Yes. :)
Got a no-string guitar, got a SUNN Beta head, I'm a rock and roll star,
I ain't no musician, some things are stranger than fishin'!
stevie486
Billy Spleen

Post by stevie486 »

Got my new guitar and SH-4 JB Pickup ordered ! yay :silly: finally goanna have decent sounding instrument