Seymour Duncan Custom SH-5?

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
Andyrew004
First name: Andrew
Instrument 2: Guitar

Seymour Duncan Custom SH-5?

Post by Andyrew004 »

So I have 2 strats, once has a Sh-4 JB (which i love to death) and the other has a SH-8 Invader in it.

In my band I usually play on my Strat with the JB pickup in it. I recruited a dude in my band to play Lead guitar and he doesn't know if he should get the JB, Invader, or Custom for his Epiphone SG.

We're a Pop Punk band, and he's going to play the palm muted verses, so I thought the Invader would be good for that, but for the solos and for overall tone, I thought the JB would be better.

Is the SH-5 a middle ground sort of? Or what do you guys all reccomend?

Thanks
~Andyrew004
jaw knee jak
Bunkface

Re: Seymour Duncan Custom SH-5?

Post by jaw knee jak »

Pick ups are a bitch, You can never really try them out with your set up untill there paid for and in the guitar, but SD pick ups are generaly awesome. I had a set of JB's once and they were ace. THe other guitar player in my old band had invaders on a SG and they did sound massive, but you will get a LOT of gain with that set up.

His best bet is just figuring out what sort of tone he wants and recearching which pick ups would work best, but personaly, I swear by JB'S
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Isn't the invader made for punk?

Then again, can't go wrong with the JB!
MegaJeans
First name: Jens

Post by MegaJeans »

Allright, lets spend my first post proving you all what a guitar geek I am!

So yeah, your friend has an Epi SG. That means it's made of mahogany, a 'dark', bassy sounding wood. The Invader is a high output pickup, very good for those palm-mutes you mentioned. HOWEVER, it's a very thick, bassy sounding pickup, best used in thin sounding guitars made of brighter tonewoods, to beef up the sound, if you will. Paired with the mahogany body of the SG, it would just sound too muddy. Besides, it will give more gain than you need. The amp or pedals do more than enough work for that anyway. I say no to the Invader.

The JB is extremely versatile, you could never go wrong with it. It is a bright sounding pickup (not too bright though), and it works well with many different woods. The Custom, however, could also be a good choice. While it has a little less output than the JB (hardly noticable), it is also less bright and has a more beefy sound, which I think would give those palm-mutes your friend is looking for.

So, in short, I think the Custom would be the best shot, but the JB wouldn't be a bad choice either. The Invader wouldn't go well with the guitar, so nono.

I hope that made sense, and that it helped you a little ^^'
Andyrew004
First name: Andrew
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Andyrew004 »

MegaJeans wrote:Allright, lets spend my first post proving you all what a guitar geek I am!

So yeah, your friend has an Epi SG. That means it's made of mahogany, a 'dark', bassy sounding wood. The Invader is a high output pickup, very good for those palm-mutes you mentioned. HOWEVER, it's a very thick, bassy sounding pickup, best used in thin sounding guitars made of brighter tonewoods, to beef up the sound, if you will. Paired with the mahogany body of the SG, it would just sound too muddy. Besides, it will give more gain than you need. The amp or pedals do more than enough work for that anyway. I say no to the Invader.

The JB is extremely versatile, you could never go wrong with it. It is a bright sounding pickup (not too bright though), and it works well with many different woods. The Custom, however, could also be a good choice. While it has a little less output than the JB (hardly noticable), it is also less bright and has a more beefy sound, which I think would give those palm-mutes your friend is looking for.

So, in short, I think the Custom would be the best shot, but the JB wouldn't be a bad choice either. The Invader wouldn't go well with the guitar, so nono.

I hope that made sense, and that it helped you a little ^^'
Heh nice first post, bro! =D.

I actually replaced the guitarist that had an epiphone SG, and now I have a dude with an epiphone les paul, but after reading this post (since the les paul is obviously made of mahogany too), i'll be sure to tell him about the custom! =)
~Andyrew004