what are some good pick ups?

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley
Instrument 1: Guitar

what are some good pick ups?

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

i've been playing guitar for about 7 years now, I'm decent. but by this time i still don't know much about amp to amp selection, what pick ups are good and what-not. I'm coming into some money soon, i have to cheap-ish guitars. a Squier hollow body tele (which has great sound, but the thing is its a junior, but it still has the best sound) and the white deryck whibley signature. I don't like the sound of the deryck whibley sig, what pick ups are good (not SUPER expensive) and sound good for music like sum 41 and such? Also, got any suggestions on amps? (again not TOO much, i know amps aren't cheap but.. you know)
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Re: what are some good pick ups?

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

I'd recommend either DiMarzio single coil pickups or Gibson humbucking pickups, if you're shopping in the $50-$100 range... or Seymour duncan's, but they are a little pricier, like $150ish i think. Honestly, I would go to the guitarcenter.com website, browse their pickups and read lots and lots of reviews. The reviews can tell you the pro's and con's, and what type of music the pickups are good for. As far as amps, what are you willing to spend and how loud do you want it? loll.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

www.seymourduncan.com

Dude, whatever you need this is the place. I got my JB bridge pickup for 35 dollars, in which, would normally cost 90. Also, i only play through a 15g fender amp. About 70 bucks new. I like it.

No complaints here about the JB, but if you bought me an EMG 85 like Zakk Wylde/James Hetfield uses, then maybe we could trade. : D
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

I bought my pickups from a small company in devon! So. Fucking. Sexual.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

thanks for the info guys. hmmm looks like i have a lot of research to do before next week, thanks!

i used to have an ibanez and now that i look at the SD pickups it would seem it had those, and i liked the sound it had.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

You really can't go wrong with the Seymour Duncan SH-4. I have it in all my guitars and it sounds great. It's very popular and only costs around $80, which is really inexpensive for a nice pickup like that.

The website that Jake! suggested about the Bare Knuckle pickups is good too. I've heard/read a lot of good things about them. I'm really tempted to order some pickups myself and throw them into one of my Tele's. Have a look at the Nailbombs and search up some videos on YouTube to hear how it sounds.

Also, the pickup that Brownsound used in one of his guitars live is a good one too. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me though.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:You really can't go wrong with the Seymour Duncan SH-4. I have it in all my guitars and it sounds great. It's very popular and only costs around $80, which is really inexpensive for a nice pickup like that.
Ya, that's the one i bought on that website i mentioned for $35. I'm a tight ass, haha.

Also, Sumfan, you could just sell your shit guitars on that website i mentioned. The members there have the ability to re-shape/paint/change electronics, so the look of the Deryck Sig wont matter that much.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Dirty Fingers pickups are pretty loud and good.
Shibby
Billy Spleen

Post by Shibby »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Also, the pickup that Brownsound used in one of his guitars live is a good one too. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me though.
Didn't he use the Rio Grande BBQ Bucker? Or something like that, I don't really remember.
"It doesn't matter who wins here. Our fight will continue. The loser will be liberated from the battlefield, and the survivor will live out the rest of his days as a soldier" -Big Boss
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Shibby wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:Also, the pickup that Brownsound used in one of his guitars live is a good one too. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me though.
Didn't he use the Rio Grande BBQ Bucker? Or something like that, I don't really remember.
Yeah! I'm pretty sure that was the one.