[RECAP] Chat with Cone & Tom (24/06/2014)

This forum is home to pre-scheduled live chats with band members, etc.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

[RECAP] Chat with Cone & Tom (24/06/2014)

Post by Jake »

Here's all the replies from the guys.

I'm working on a better way of displaying future live chats :)
Cone McCaslin wrote:
skumfukgirl wrote:Hi guys! Will you come back on tour with Sum 41,finished the new album?
Ya of coarse. I love touring.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
skumfukgirl wrote:Hey Cone,are you working on a new Sum 41's album with Deryck?
Ya I will when the time comes.
Tom Thacker wrote:
Lilla wrote:Hey guys!
I would like to know that what do you guys think about when a musician talks about politics in public? Like in lyrics, in interviews, etc.
(What is your opinion about musician’s political commitments?)
Thanks
L
It depends on the artist really. I think Propagandhi are pretty knowledgable about social issues/politics. I'm always interested in what they have to say.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
Black Zed wrote:Hey Cone & Tom. Awesome to hear that Deryck is okay. I just wanted to thank you guys. Sum 41 was the band that got me into the harder side of music, punk and hard rock specifically. I absolutely loved Screaming Bloody Murder, and I saw you in June 2012 in Tilburg, the Netherlands, Live and I still think it to be one of the best concerts I've been to.

Do you know anything about the new album? can it be compared to any of your old material or is it all new? What can we expect?
Thx for being a fan. Still pretty early to say what the new album will be like. I'm excited to get back at it though.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
skumfukgirl wrote:Hi guys what do you think of the hospitalization of Deryck?
Well Deryck and I have been friends for 20 years. Hes like a brother. My heart dropped to my stomach that day when I heard he went to the hospital. I heard hes doing a lot better and I'm really happy about that. Glad hes getting better.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
LoveEnd wrote:Hey guys :) First of all: Thank you to save everyday of my life! I'm really glad that I have this opportunity to speak to you... Makes me kind of speachless... I would really like to know what do you get from making music? Does it make you feel bettet when you're down?
Thank you :)
Ya music has been a part of my life for ever. Started playing when I was 14 and listening to it since I remember. I play it everyday as well. So the say the least it a big part of my life.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
SumGeek wrote:Hi, Cone & Tom! It's great to hear from you guys again over on TNS! Are you guys chatting to us from Cone's backyard, perhaps?!

My first question is for you, Cone. Back in May, you mentioned finishing up work on new Operation M.D. material; how has the recording process been?
Yup just have to mix the song and it should be out this summer.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
jeremie41 wrote:First of all, hello guys, I'd like to know what inspires you to write, do you write about personal experiences, or ...? Love from Germany.
For me when I write songs I either write lyrics way later and fit the words into the melody or I already have an idea of the lyrics and I try to base the song around 1 or 2 key lines. Every songs for me comes together differently.
Tom Thacker wrote:
samueeL wrote:Glad to have you. Question for Tom: Years ago you said that new Gob album will be rock'n'roll -ish. That was so long ago so I have to ask, is that still a case? Also any ideas when the first supposed single will be out? Loved Cold. Glad to finally know that the new album is coming out, seemed like a long process.
Hey Samueel!
Yeah the new gob record (Apt 13) has a more rocknroll and punk sound than our previous album )Muertos Vivos), It was more of a metal record. The first single Radio Hell will be out sometime in July. Glad you love Cold, I'm sure you'll be stoked on the rest of the record too.
haha it was def a long process, I'm really f'ng stoked it's finally coming out
Cone McCaslin wrote:
mirqqee wrote:Heyyy (: wow, it's so weird that you two really are there answering our questons! I've been listen to Sum 41 many years and every day your songs get better. So many of your lyrics have kinda safe my life, thanks for that. I wait so much new album and tour, I can't even understand that you're working with new album!I hope Deryck will get better soon!
thx for being a fan
Cone McCaslin wrote:
dan41 wrote:hey cone, what have you been up lately? Send you all the best from germany ;) hope you come back
I have been doing a lot of producing lately. A band called "Sun K" I worked on and I'll be doing their upcoming EP and LP in the next few months. Right now just finishing up a band called "Lebarons". I love producing. Just been keeping busy with that right now.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
Meaganbunda wrote:Hi Cone and Tom! I have loved you guys for years, your music has helped me to get through a lot, and I am so excited you're doing this on my birthday.

I was just wondering if you were going to come back to Toronto anytime soon?
I live in Toronto! We're here! Ya of coarse we'll play Toronto again.
Tom Thacker wrote:
Meaganbunda wrote:Hi Cone and Tom! I have loved you guys for years, your music has helped me to get through a lot, and I am so excited you're doing this on my birthday.

I was just wondering if you were going to come back to Toronto anytime soon?
Happy birthday Meagan! We don't have any Sum tour dates booked right now but there's a couple gob shows in the TO area this weekend!
Cone McCaslin wrote:
Petersohn wrote:Hey Cone and Tom!
What's your most memorable experience in Sum 41?
There's a ton. A lot cool festivals with great bands, doing a song with Iggy Pop, I think mostly its the tours and shows I think back to most though. I'm a guy who really loves playing live so thats the stuff I of.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:Hey Coner and Tom! Glad to have you here!

Cone, how's Operation M.D. doing? Todd is out with Offspring and you've been busy producing, but have you had time to think about a possible third album? Also, a while ago you tweeted you had "an interesting show offer", will we get to see you live any time soon? :silly:

Tom! How's Gob? Are you playing new songs already at your shows? Will there be an international iTunes release for your album? And how many songs did you have to cut out from the final album?

Hope all is well! :happy:
Hey Tomi! We do have a few offers in Sept for shows but have to see if Todd's Offspring schedule lines up. Haven't had time to think about a 3rd album but we are releasing 2 Itunes singles this year.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
jeremie41 wrote:what's your favourite on-stage memory?
I would have to go back to the Iggy time. We got to play with Iggy a few times with him as his band and that was insane.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
deadmoon85 wrote:Will you guys continue to sell more VIP tickets to shows in the future? The meet-and-greets were so much fun! :D
Cant say for sure but we all liked the meet and greets and stuff like that so I can us doing it again.
Tom Thacker wrote:
Black Zed wrote:Hey Cone & Tom. Awesome to hear that Deryck is okay. I just wanted to thank you guys. Sum 41 was the band that got me into the harder side of music, punk and hard rock specifically. I absolutely loved Screaming Bloody Murder, and I saw you in June 2012 in Tilburg, the Netherlands, Live and I still think it to be one of the best concerts I've been to.

Do you know anything about the new album? can it be compared to any of your old material or is it all new? What can we expect?
It's kind of too soon to really say what the next record will sound like, I imagine it will be along the lines of Screaming Bloody Murder. I think we kind of found our own sound with that record.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
SumGeek wrote:Cone, you've been doing a lot of producing lately; what has been your favourite recording studio to work in? personally you as the musician or producer! I know we have some good ones here in Ontario.
Ya I normally work out of Metalworks or The Woodshed in Toronto for producing but in LA Sum 41 recorded at Capitol Studios for SBM and that was a cool place with a lot of history.
Tom Thacker wrote:
SumGeek wrote:Hi, Cone & Tom! It's great to hear from you guys again over on TNS! Are you guys chatting to us from Cone's backyard, perhaps?!
We're in Cone's living room. In our tighty whiteys
Cone McCaslin wrote:
HandleThis wrote:Whats the news about the new drummer?
And when does sum 41 start touring?
No news on those fronts yet sorry.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
41Hungary41 wrote:Hi guys!
I'm glad that created this event. My first question: What kind of jobs do you do with Sum 41 at this time? :happy:
To me its all about getting Deryck healthy and happy. Thats the way I'm thinking of Sum 41 right now.
Tom Thacker wrote:
skumfukgirl wrote:I love you guys,you're my idols,I can't wait to see you on stage with Sum 41 again! So how is work with other bands?
it's awesome playing with and producing other bands. I did a couple shows w Offspring last summer, that was pretty sweet.
Nothing really beats playing your own songs though. i can't wait to get SUM41 back on stage too!
Cone McCaslin wrote:
FrankCesto wrote:What's your favorite band? Love from Portugal!
Thats a really though one but since my early 20's I really got into The Clash so that band is probably up there. I also love David Bowie and Elliott Smith too but I love a lot of bands. Hard to pick 1.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
Petersohn wrote:Hi Guys! What are your favorite guitars (or bass guitars?)
I have 3 favorites. I have a 1962 re-issue P-Bass that I've used on every single Sum 41 album. That bass is amazing. Then I also have real 1961 P-Bass that sounds great and of coarse my white bass I play on tour is up there.
Tom Thacker wrote:
gycb41 wrote:You talked to Derek after his discharge from the hospital? Do YOU communicate recently?
Yeah. we speak on the reg. I tried to meet up with Deryck the other day but I was in Kitchener and he was in Ajax.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
deadmoon85 wrote:Will you guys be doing any more video sitcoms in the future like Road to Ruin (maybe without all the heavy drinking now)? :)
I think videos will always be a part of the band. Thats always been in the past so I don't think that will change.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
Meaganbunda wrote:Thank you for replying!:)
I was also wondering if you guys have a favorite song to play when you are on stage?
I always love playing Still Waiting or Over My Head
Cone McCaslin wrote:
Petersohn wrote:Hey!
Do you have a favorite movie?
Have you seen Metallica - Through Never?
I have not seen that yet. I want to though. Any good?
Cone McCaslin wrote:
FrankCesto wrote:What do you feel when you see people from different countries creating sites, twitter accounts, facebook pages, showing their support/love for Sum 41 and for you guys?
You guys are everything to this band. Without such devoted fans there is no Sum 41 so yes it really means a lot to us.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
Heather wrote:Hey you two!

I'm still waiting on a "he's my boy, he's my girl, he's my Cone" studio recording.

Thoughts on doing a colab project together?
Tom is staying at my house right now. We're gonna spend the next few days working on songs together. Could be used for a number of different things whos knows.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
deadmoon85 wrote:Have you guys ever received a very unusual gift from a fan upon meeting them?
I remember in Japan a fan gave Steve used underwear. haha. that was pretty funny.
Tom Thacker wrote:
Lilla wrote:Did you already find a new drummer? I started to play the drums 13 years ago because of Stevo. When I first saw him to play, I was just amazed. I will really miss him, but I will never stop loving Sum 41, nad you guys.
Thanks for the love Lilla!~ We haven't decided on a drummer yet, Deryck has jammed with a couple drummers though.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
SumGeek wrote:What has been your favourite cover song Sum 41 has done? The list ranges from The Rolling Stones, Queen, Aerosmith, to Metallica, the Beastie Boys, and more! The list is endless! I would say my personal favourite has to be any of your Metallica covers and Killer Queen by Queen. Just perfection!
What we were doing on the last tour, Queen "we will rock you" and then into a little Beastie Boys "Sabotage" was probably my favorite.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
mirqqee wrote:Which was te first song that feel like "this is us, this is what we do?" or is it always felt like that?
As good as I think All Killer was at the time and I still do like it but once we recorded "Infected" I thought we hit a good stride from then on.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
POLANDSKUMFUK wrote:Hello!

What about new Sum 41 music?

Can you come to Poland again? Please.:devious:
New Sum 41 music will come don't worry!
Cone McCaslin wrote:
deadmoon85 wrote:When you next speak to Deryck, can you tell him that the fans on TNS send their love & regards to him? ^.^
Thats great. Its amazing that you all show your support to him. I'm sure it means a lot to him especially at this time.
Tom Thacker wrote:
FrankCesto wrote:What do you feel when you see people from different countries creating sites, twitter accounts, facebook pages, showing their support/love for Sum 41 and for you guys?
We love it! One of the main reasons we started doing this was to travel and see other countries. We're pretty lucky to have such a huge international fanbase, it allows us to travel pretty much everywhere in the world.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:Not going to lie, I believe that 9-year old Jonah should be the new drummer.
Hes a pretty amazing kid and drummer. He did a sound check with us on the Billy Talent tour and played Fat Lip with us. Hes a amazing.
Tom Thacker wrote:
Heather wrote:Hey you two!

I'm still waiting on a "he's my boy, he's my girl, he's my Cone" studio recording.

Thoughts on doing a colab project together?
Hey Heather! We're going to start working on that right after this chat!
Cone McCaslin wrote:
Noreason757 wrote:What is your least favorite Sum 41 Song and why?
I'm not a huge fan of the Spider Man song "What We're All About".
Tom Thacker wrote:
Rkrchris41 wrote:Hello guys! Hope you are doing great! Ive been wondering, since you guys have toured all over the US. Have you ever considered coming to the CAribbean, Puerto Rico by any chance please? Someday if possible. We are still waiting for you guys... Hope Deryck gets better, keep rocking guys!
Aw yeah, I would love to play in Puerto Rico. I haven't been yet but I'm hopefully going there later this year for a wedding.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
sum_41 wrote:Hey guys, I would like to thank you for everything you've done, you're awesome! I hope Deryck is getting more better now.
Thx for your support and for being a fan
Cone McCaslin wrote:
SumGeek wrote:
Cone McCaslin wrote:
Noreason757 wrote:What is your least favorite Sum 41 Song and why?
I'm not a huge fan of the Spider Man song "What We're All About".
I hope you don't dislike the version that's on Half Hour of Power--that's one of my personal favorites and it would have been nice to hear that voice of yours on it. :winkwink:
I like the Half Hour Of Power version with MC Shan.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
brittany41 wrote:thoughts on going on warped tour again?
can't say right now but anything is possible
Cone McCaslin wrote:
VeenzaMcCaslin wrote:hey guys!! Say something for your Thai fans?! :D
Love Thailand. Tom and I stayed a few days extra when we played there and had a great time. Can't wait to get back there.
Tom Thacker wrote:
41Hungary41 wrote:You are my idols. :) I'm playing guitar but I broked my hands... Have you ever broken your hands?
Awww that's a bummer. Hope yr hands heal soon!
I broke my hand once punching my lil brother- I totally deserved it
Cone McCaslin wrote:
herkyles wrote:Hey guys!!
A fan from The Netherlands here, I am wondering, what are the coolest/most fun bands (or artists) you've ever met while touring? and do you maybe have a story of things that you did together??

Good luck with making the next album!

Kyle
Im already looking forward to it!I remember one of our first U.S. tours was with The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Flogging Molly and that tour ruled and was a blast. They kind of took us under their wing and taught us how to tour and what it took to be good live. They are both great live bands.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
whenthesumis41 wrote:What's your favourite music video you've ever made? In Too Deep looked like it was a laugh to make!
In too Deep was fun to make but I also really like the Still Waiting video a lot and the Pieces video.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
Olly3008 wrote:hey guys! Been a fan since I was 7, and 10 years on I'm still going strong! Hope your side projects are all going well:) any chance of billy talent coming on tour with you guys after the new album is released? Can't wait to see you guys back in the UK! :glad:
They are good friends so hopefully we can do something again. A U.K. tour would be awesome together I think.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
Rkrchris41 wrote:Hello Guysss! ,which are your hobbies??, leaving aside music . :D
Music takes up most of my time but I also love to golf.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
LoveEnd wrote:What does it feel like to know there're fans of Sum41 all over the world and adore you? You sometimes even kinda saved theire lifes!
To think we saved someones life is one of the more rewarding things to hear when you're in a band.
Cone McCaslin wrote:
POLANDSKUMFUK wrote::winkwink: Hello guys,

What are the group who influence you to played music when you was teenager ?
When I started playing when I was 14 Nirvana was huge and just the whole grunge thing was exploding so thats really why I started playing music because of all that stuff.
Tom Thacker wrote:
POLANDSKUMFUK wrote:Can you come to Polish again?
yeah we'd love to come back to Poland!
Cone McCaslin wrote:Well sorry but I have to say goodbye. Thx to everyone joining the chat for the questions. Was great talking to you all. Lets do this more often. Thx to Nic for setting it up. If you want to message me directly in the future you can do that on my web site http://www.conemccaslin.com
Hope to see you all soon on tour!
Love Cone
Tom Thacker wrote:Hey y'all,
Thanks for chatting with me and the Coner! Let's do it again soon!
xoxo
Tom
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

5 replies for me. Not bad. To those involved: thank you for making this happen! It was a fun afternoon and I look forward to the next one!
Jake
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jake »

Heh, there were a few scary moments when the server's resource usage appeared to go over 100% :S But it survived :) I am a proud sysadmin :D
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

I'll take that as a bad thing--but I'm glad it survived, too! Your admin work is appreciated, haha.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Thanks for making this happen, even though I couldn't make it in time it's a great read.
Still sad though.
Brisingr
First name: Sergey

Post by Brisingr »

Guys, next time how about webcam + twitch, youtube, etc (like a live interview). I guess, it will be easier for sum41 members to reply. For sure, there will be more question answered and to see them online is a really better instead of some text messages on forum. I just want to know, is this idea possible?
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Re:

Post by Nic »

Brisingr wrote:Guys, next time how about webcam + twitch, youtube, etc (like a live interview). I guess, it will be easier for sum41 members to reply. For sure, there will be more question answered and to see them online is a really better instead of some text messages on forum. I just want to know, is this idea possible?
I brought that up to Deryck about a week or two ago. He said he would prefer to do it on the message board. However, I can always ask Cone and Tom about it!
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: Re:

Post by TomiT14 »

Nic wrote:I brought that up to Deryck about a week or two ago. He said he would prefer to do it on the message board.
And that's the same guy who said he prefers using a phone rather than typing an email/message? :silly:
Jake
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Re:

Post by Jake »

TomiT14 wrote:
Nic wrote:I brought that up to Deryck about a week or two ago. He said he would prefer to do it on the message board.
And that's the same guy who said he prefers using a phone rather than typing an email/message? :silly:
TNS has the bandwidth to do this. We should definitely do it.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
maistoner41
First name: Maitane
Instrument 2: Voice
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: maistoner27

Post by maistoner41 »

Mmm I didn't get an answer but I don't care, thanks to Tom and Cone for everything!
We won't be bought and sold, just like you!
I'm a walking disaster.