DW_60
Hooch
First name: Amin
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drum
Twitter: aaminolo

Dave Interview by Sum 41 France

Post by DW_60 »

First and foremost I would like to apologize for not being available for the recent chat. I booked time in the studio thinking the chat was taking place on the 13th. I need a secretary...

1) Well, we saw you playing with the Organ Thieves for a while, but can you tell us what happened with Brown Brigade ?

BB is still going and way underground because of Vaughn and I being tired of being told to change our business plan with BB. So we have cut everyone off and kept it for ourselves as a creative outlet.

2) Did you record some stuffs with Brown Brigade which wasn't released ? Will it be out somedays ?

BB will be released on a song to song basis with the lineup on each song of our choice. No idea when work will clear up for both of us so we can concentrate on some BB tunes. 41 France will be the first to know though.

3) Back to The Organ Thieves : how was this band created ?

Chuck Coles had some songs he wrote over the years and started a band with Mike Smith.

4) Tell us about the first album !

It is different form anything I have been a part of. I must be honest, playing metal started feeling juvenile and being called a shredder makes me angry. This album for me is a great indication of where my thoughts in music are. In an imaginative sense I was allowed to paint musical scenes with this project. I will elaborate, I was allowed to put into practice the reading I have been doing about sonic frequencies and the human response patterns to those frequencies. So using this knowledge it became easier for me to create moods by while applying all that I have learned from guitar players like Tom Morello and Jeff Beck. Its different and if you want to hear me shredding there is plenty of that on the albums I did with sum41. Shredding, it was the thing to do at the time.

5) Brown Brigade was already a bit different from Sum 41, but this band is really a mile away from Sum 41. Can you exlpain this evolution ? Does it happen as you grow up ?

Yes growing older, coming home to discover how to live and become more thankful for what I have done has been an integral part of my musical mindset. We are all subject of what we are subjected to in life. Our experiences make us who we are. My thoughts are deeper and my mind is more patient I think this is only something you can improve with time.

6) Can you think you'll play outside of Canada with this band ? Maybe in Europe ?

I don't think there is one day that goes by without thinking of playing in EU.

7) You play in independent band since you left Sum 41. Do you earn money with music, or do you have a job like everyone else now ?

I run a studio at my house for bands to learn the recording process, how not to get ripped off by crooked producers, how to formulate and get the most out of your lineups chemistry and to enjoy the recording process. That covers my income.

8) Even if you don't plan to come back in Sum 41, are you sometimes nostalgic ? Don't you miss playing in front of thousands of fan ?

Who wouldn't? I will never say I wouldn't come back to sum41, it was my means of expression for a third of my life. Asking me back is their decision. If your asking, yes I would love to tour with them again. My feeling is my involvement would be limited and unfair though as I would still pursue Organ Thieves full-time. There are no words to express what being in Organ Thieves has done for my ability to write and communicate through my instrument.

9) Did you hear the new album ? If you did, what do you think about it ? We listened to it and we liked it a lot, it's better than the previous one !

I think they are at the beginning of finding the new sound that Tom can bring to the table. Tom is a much more mature guitar player than me and I think his chemistry is what that writing team needs.
You can't just have everything be the same when a different element enters the mixture. I think the next album will prove to you all that asking Tom into the band was a brilliant move.

10) Do you still talk to the band ?

Stevie mostly, we had the tightest bond and birthdays 3 days apart.

11) You always said that Brown Tom, your successor, is a good guitar player. What do you think about his own band, Gob ?

I love and grew up with Gob. We had been playing together for about 8-10 years while I was in sum41. Gob are some of the best touring mates ever.

12) Give us the title of one or a few songs you listened a lot the previous days.

Black Cowboys-Jeru The Damaja-Wrath Of The Math

13) Do your remember your last show with Sum 41? Could you tell us more ?

Honestly I cannot. We were so tired and I was so chaffed, not towards my bandmates or crew. I was furious towards things we were doing to claw at the next level of success like Nickelodeon and teen choice awards. Fuck Nickelodeon and fuck the Teen Choice awards. I would just put my headphones on and play guitar to stop hearing what was going on around me. I do wish I had voiced my opinions a bit more but at that point I think everyone was tired of listening to me say what I was saying. Regardless as usual sum figured it out thanks to new management and now they are working the rest of the world and breaking into markets that have been waiting for years for a show.

Free question : we give you the opportunity to say what you want about the topic you want.

Everyone, I love that I can still communicate with you and that you still support my musical ventures. Not many on this planet can say that about themselves.
I am a truly blessed individual thanks to you.
Love
Dave
Image Image

" Tu es mon petite poubelle. "
Amin #sum41france http://www.facebook.com/Sum41France
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Re: Dave Interview by Sum 41 France

Post by HugoDisasters »

That's great!
I would want to see Sum 41 with both Dave and Tom though.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Great, thanks Amin ! I read that on the other topic. Dave is really a great person, I can only wish him the best, he deserves it ! I think it would be amazing if the sums could tell him "hey bro, come and do some shows with us". I remember I wasn't sure how things would go when Tom got into the band, but I rapidly figured out he is also an amazing guitarist and a great person, so Dave and Tom on stage is something I would definitely love to see !!! Plus, I've never met Dave, so if ever he comes in EU, I won't miss him !
DeryckW
Billy Spleen
Last.fm Username: DeryckW

Post by DeryckW »

182sins wrote:Great, thanks Amin ! I read that on the other topic. Dave is really a great person, I can only wish him the best, he deserves it ! I think it would be amazing if the sums could tell him "hey bro, come and do some shows with us". I remember I wasn't sure how things would go when Tom got into the band, but I rapidly figured out he is also an amazing guitarist and a great person, so Dave and Tom on stage is something I would definitely love to see !!! Plus, I've never met Dave, so if ever he comes in EU, I won't miss him !
For this to happen we need someone that will be willing too poison Tom in some way so he miss a show or two.
Sometimes I can't help think that I have you right behind me all this time
If only you could have a chance to see
All the happiness you gave to me
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

DeryckW wrote: For this to happen we need someone that will be willing too poison Tom in some way so he miss a show or two.
Not necessarily, just ask Matt or something if they could arrange something with Dave for some tour or something :happy:

PTswim41
Billy Spleen
First name: Dan

Post by PTswim41 »

when did the sums do stuff with Nickelodeon and the teen choice awards?
ptido
Bunkface

Post by ptido »

HugoDisasters wrote: Not necessarily, just ask Matt or something if they could arrange something with Dave for some tour or something :happy:
I think this kind of choice have to be made between The Sums ans Dave, and not between the fans and a member of the Sum 41 crew, which will stop to tour with the band soon.
We must use our voices as a flag.
And make it resonate in every building, in every head.

The youth is raising up in burning cages, not just pretences.

We are the solution.

http://sum41-france.com
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

Thanks for the interview Amin!
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Awesome interview guys of Sum 41 France!
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Great interview! I love how Dave is able and willing to elaborate on his replies on topics maybe one in his position wouldn't want to discuss anymore as it's in the past. I think he knows the Sum 41 fans still care about what he does in life so he doesn't mind. I really think that's great. Hopefully one day The Organ Thieves can go in the direction Dave would want it - Such as Europe.
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

fenderrocks wrote:Thanks for the interview Amin!
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

ptido wrote: I think this kind of choice have to be made between The Sums ans Dave, and not between the fans and a member of the Sum 41 crew, which will stop to tour with the band soon.
You got me wrong, Matt is the guy which we use to contact the band usually. By him we could get the idea to them.

Unless somebody can actually get the idea to one of the band members instead :P
Last edited by HugoDisasters on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

i think deryck's too proud and controlling of a person musically that he would never ask dave back.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Awesome interview!
Wow it's really cool that Dave is in a position he would like to reunite with the band, at least for a tour or for a few shows. Freakin' awesome! I hope he and Deryck could make up and arrange something like that, with both Dave and Tom on stage.
ptido
Bunkface

Post by ptido »

thanks for the congrats (i did the questions)

Anyway I think that the suggestion should be done during the writing of the next album... we have the time

We are the solution.

TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

dbauer91 wrote:i think deryck's too proud and controlling of a person musically that he would never ask dave back.
I probably wouldn't use the same words, but I agree. It's obvious that Deryck was offended the most by Dave's departure, so I don't see any chance he would ask Dave to join them. Back in 2008 when Dave joined them for a show, I'd say it was either Dave's or Stevo's idea. But a lot should happen before Dave could join the band for more than a show in Toronto.
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Awesome interview!! Can anyone clarify about The Sums involvement with Nickelodeon or the Teen Choice Awards?
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Awesome interview!! Can anyone clarify about The Sums involvement with Nickelodeon or the Teen Choice Awards?
ptido
Bunkface

Post by ptido »

TomiT14 wrote:
dbauer91 wrote:i think deryck's too proud and controlling of a person musically that he would never ask dave back.
Back in 2008 when Dave joined them for a show, I'd say it was either Dave's or Stevo's idea.
It was just Dave's idea. Nobody in the Sums knew he would come on stage. It was a surprise for everybody. He didn't even asked to anyone.

We are the solution.

lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Post by lisaNL »

SickofEveryone wrote:
fenderrocks wrote:Thanks for the interview Amin!