Musicians Institute Conversation Series

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Musicians Institute Conversation Series

Post by TomiT14 »

Deryck and Frank sat down with Alternative Press at the Musicians Institute Conversation Series.

Even if you're not a fan of interviews, THIS is the one to watch. Seriously.
Check. This. Out.

60 minutes full of gold.

Here's what they are talking about:
Spoiler: show
Part 1
- Playing at APMA's with Run DMC
- Playing Metallica at MTV Icon in 2003
- What made them to start playing music
- How the band came together

Part 2
- Differences between being under Island and Hopeless
- Frank's experience being in Mötley Crüe
- How Frank got into the band
- How the new album differs from the previous ones
- Playing as 5-piece
- Warped Tour setlist
- Taking influences from new music from others

Part 3
- Answering questions from the audience
- How Deryck's life is different before and after the hospital

Part 4
- Answering questions from the audience
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

Just finished watching these. I was glad to see Deryck so engaged and interested - he seems to be in a good place (especially when remembering the last sit down interview he did like this with Nic Harcourt). Frank seems like an affable dude.

I didn't really learn anything new but that's OK, it's good to see the band getting out there and doing appearances like this regardless.
Jeremy Kill
Re: Musicians Institute Conversation Series

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I really enjoyed the vibe of these videos. Just a chill conversation, and it's nice to see Deryck in an interview-type setting without sunglasses. I feel like they were always on during Screaming Bloody Murder days.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Part 3 just gave me so much excitement! I just finished watching it earlier. I mean, the mention of a new documentary in the works? Two things that just go together are Sum 41 and documentaries! Cannot wait to see what they have to offer us this time around.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

SumGeek wrote:Part 3 just gave me so much excitement! I just finished watching it earlier. I mean, the mention of a new documentary in the works? Two things that just go together are Sum 41 and documentaries! Cannot wait to see what they have to offer us this time around.
This.

I don't agree with Deryck about what's boring and what isn't though. I enjoyed watching the creative process more than the partying. I could watch a livestream of him just sitting in a room and working on stuff and still enjoy every minute of it.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Mitchell wrote: I don't agree with Deryck about what's boring and what isn't though. I enjoyed watching the creative process more than the partying. I could watch a livestream of him just sitting in a room and working on stuff and still enjoy every minute of it.
I'm with you on that! We got to see a lot of that on the making of Underclass Hero, as well as during the process of SBM. Especially since this is another album that's so personal to Deryck regarding subject matter with recovery, it would really give us a lot of insight that's for sure!
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Mitchell wrote:I don't agree with Deryck about what's boring and what isn't though. I enjoyed watching the creative process more than the partying. I could watch a livestream of him just sitting in a room and working on stuff and still enjoy every minute of it.
Oh man I agree with you in every word, I really enjoy every process of a making music, each track, each part, I hope this new documentary can have interesting stuff.
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

All of these have been really great. I'm looking forward to more interviews once the album cycle gets going.

I'm surprised at his answer in regards to the more metal sound of Chuck in part 3. It sounded like there was no intention to be metal, it just came out that way. It's hard to believe that they would write a song like "The Bitter End" if they weren't trying to be a little more metal haha.

and I also really want to see some sort of documentary as well!