Sum 41 / 13 Voices discussion

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
Sju
First name: Zuzana

Post by Sju »

I'm a weak person who has never resisted any leak in her life but I definitely want to this time. I can't believe we only have a month left.
Roach41
First name: Fernando

Post by Roach41 »

Only 1 month more! I'm so excited *-*!! I just hope there are no leaks this time... I don't get how do leaks actually happen. Is it Anonymous involved or something?
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Re: 13 Voices

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I won't mind a possible leak. If I can listen to the album a few days earlier, why not? I already paid for the album through Pledge Music (twice, actually), so I will get it physically and digital form, the official way, but if it leaks before that... what's the harm? Why should I wait?
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Iam The Ghost wrote:I won't mind a possible leak. If I can listen to the album a few days earlier, why not? I already paid for the album through Pledge Music (twice, actually), so I will get it physically and digital form, the official way, but if it leaks before that... what's the harm? Why should I wait?
Personally, I just want to test my willpower. Last time I wasn't able to resist listening to the leak for Screaming Bloody Murder and I downloaded it right away. The sound quality was actually not that good, like the volume was way lower than usual, I remember.
jacobbadillo41
Bunkface
First name: Jacob
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by jacobbadillo41 »

When i get SBM leaked i thought it wasnt the real album because deryck's voice was some different and the sound wasnt like other songs of sum 41 but with several listeners i said this is the best fucking album of sum 41, obviously i bought the album later but with little emotion.
For this reason im very happy while im waiting for 13 Voices because i have a lot of tension,emotion and hundreds of questions about how will be the new album.
I bought 13 Voices more than a year ago and i cant believe in less than a month we will have it.

#13Voices #Soon
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Re:

Post by Faeyaner »

Roach41 wrote:I don't get how do leaks actually happen. Is it Anonymous involved or something?
I guess there are two extreme cases, either someone involved in the recording/mixing/mastering/artwork/advertisement/label/whatever -section "steals" it (that would explain why it doesn't match the final record) or some douche at walmart lifts one of the pre-ordered copies while he's supposed to put it on the shelf. Truth might be somewhere in between.

If I remember correctly, Green Day's album which was supposed to be made in 2003/2004 was stolen during the recording process (and by this I mean really stolen, not only copied) and instead of re-recording the songs they just sat together and made a completely new album in like a month or so. Not bad if you consider the success they had with it.
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: Re:

Post by TomiT14 »

Roach41 wrote:If I remember correctly, Green Day's album which was supposed to be made in 2003/2004 was stolen during the recording process (and by this I mean really stolen, not only copied) and instead of re-recording the songs they just sat together and made a completely new album in like a month or so.
It's a theory, the band has never said anything about it, and haven't answered anything when being asked. One theory is that they just thought it wasn't good enough, and started again from scratch. And that's what I think. :silly:
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Faeyaner »

TomiT14 wrote:
Faeyaner wrote:If I remember correctly, Green Day's album which was supposed to be made in 2003/2004 was stolen during the recording process (and by this I mean really stolen, not only copied) and instead of re-recording the songs they just sat together and made a completely new album in like a month or so.
It's a theory, the band has never said anything about it, and haven't answered anything when being asked. One theory is that they just thought it wasn't good enough, and started again from scratch. And that's what I think. :silly:
Haha right, thanks Tomi, now I'm getting back on the track!
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Nobody cares but here's how I did it:

All killer no filler
Bought the album a few weeks after its release and besides Fat Lip, I didn't hear any songs or snippets before. Nice experience, due to the internetless era.

Does this look infected?
Pre-ordered the physical cd on the internet but caved when in the two weeks before it came out, each day a new song was released on the official website. When I finally got the cd, there was no surprise to it at all.

Chuck
Bought the album on the day it came out. The week before though, I alreay heard the full album on mtv.com. I'm not the one (well, 'Bleed' actually) and We're all to blame were already out there a few weeks before. The only thing I really enjoyed when I finally got my copy, was Noots.

Underclass hero
First album I downloaded illegally after a leak, although I had already pre-ordered the cd. They already had released March of the dogs and Underclass hero, while Walking disaster was aired early July and So long goodbye was played live on a french radio station show. Still enjoyed listening the full album as a whole in good quality.

Screaming bloody murder
Because we got so many video-updates, my need for new snippets was completely gone. We got Skumfuk pretty early, followed by Screaming bloody murder and a leak(?) of Blood in my eyes. Didn't listen to any of the previews when they came out, but forced my mom to because I wanted to know if she liked them :devious:
I was actually so pleased they didn't release the infamous '12 minute song' for free before the album came out.

13 voices
Fake my own death and war: that's all, folks. No previews (besides the Instagram ones), no leaks, nothing. The best way to enjoy an album is imo just to wait till it's out there. Play it on a decent audio device (for example my home cinema), grab a beer and just close my eyes and listen to it.
Second time around, I'll grab the booklet to read the lyrics while the album is playing a second time to get to know the songs better. Repeat.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Faeyaner wrote:
Roach41 wrote:I don't get how do leaks actually happen. Is it Anonymous involved or something?
I guess there are two extreme cases, either someone involved in the recording/mixing/mastering/artwork/advertisement/label/whatever -section "steals" it (that would explain why it doesn't match the final record) or some douche at walmart lifts one of the pre-ordered copies while he's supposed to put it on the shelf. Truth might be somewhere in between.
99% of leaks stem from either the manufacturers or press copies. The latter often feature invisible digital watermarks to identify the source in the event of a leak. Sometimes albums leak months early, such as Tom Hecker's latest record which leaked the day after its announcement. Sometimes they never leak, and the first versions to appear online are customer copies.

The latest Swans record was a great example. A member of the press confidentially shared the album with a friend, who accidentally left the files in his Soulseek sharing folder. He realised and took it down, but not before another person had found it and managed to download 70% of it. That person then uploaded it to the inner circle of What.cd where only a handful of people had access to it, until one of them decided to leak it to the masses. So following the shitstorm on What.cd there were thousands of people going around listening to 70% of the album until release day.
fuck this signature nonsense
schiffylube1
Post by schiffylube1 »

I'm just a newbie around here but I'm surprised at the lack of discussion surrounding the various editions that appear to exist for 13 Voices:

There's the standard 10-track edition, then there's the deluxe edition with 4 bonus tracks here (and on a few other UK sites):
http://www.impericon.com/en/sum-41-13-v ... ak-cd.html

Then there's the Target exclusive edition with 4 bonus tracks here (are they different from the above deluxe version?):
http://www.target.com/p/sum-41-13-voice ... A-51527801

And then I just noticed on Amazon that the picture they're showing for the CD version is the deluxe version with "4 exclusive bonus tracks":
https://www.amazon.com/13-Voices-Sum-41 ... KCMY3XSMWF

Who knows, maybe they're all the same edition but maybe Target has a different version? It certainly wouldn't be a Target exclusive if Amazon was selling the same edition. Either way, stoked!
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Re:

Post by samueeL »

schiffylube1 wrote:I'm just a newbie around here but I'm surprised at the lack of discussion surrounding the various editions that appear to exist for 13 Voices
That's because there are just two versions, one with 10 tracks and the other with +4 bonus tracks:
11. Better Days
12. Black Eyes
13. War (Acoustic)
14. Breaking The Chain (Acoustic)

At least target hasn't come out with a different tracklist.
samueeL
Finnish Flash

Post by samueeL »

Found the writers of the songs on 13 Voices. Songs I don't mention should be 100 % Deryck.

Fake My Own Death:
Cone, Tom & Deryck

13 Voices:
Tom & Deryck

There Will Be Blood:
Deryck & Zummo
+(David Zonshine, George Alt & Bobby Alt) Other guys seems to be in Zummos other band?

Twisted By Design:
Deryck & Matt Squire (Same as Baby You Don't Wanna Know?)

War:
Deryck & Michael Green

Breaking The Chain
Deryck & Michael Green

I'm not sure who the other writes are and if they actually took part in writing or is it something to avoid being sued like "oh that melody sounds like 2 seconds of that other song, gotta put him as writer now" or something like that.
Last edited by samueeL on Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schiffylube1

Post by schiffylube1 »

samueeL wrote:
schiffylube1 wrote:I'm just a newbie around here but I'm surprised at the lack of discussion surrounding the various editions that appear to exist for 13 Voices
That's because there are just two versions, one with 10 tracks and the other with +4 bonus tracks:
11. Better Days
12. Black Eyes
13. War (Acoustic)
14. Breaking The Chain (Acoustic)

At least target hasn't come out with a different tracklist.
For sure. In the past, when Target has had an "exclusive" it has always been a true exclusive. So unless the US Amazon isn't selling the +4 deluxe version and that's a mistake, Target might just have something different. Kinda doubt it but that'd be so great if they did.
samueeL
Finnish Flash

Post by samueeL »

schiffylube1 wrote: For sure. In the past, when Target has had an "exclusive" it has always been a true exclusive. So unless the US Amazon isn't selling the +4 deluxe version and that's a mistake, Target might just have something different. Kinda doubt it but that'd be so great if they did.
It'd be super cool if Target would give us some extra songs indeed! I'll stay realistic but hope for the best :)
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

samueeL wrote:Found the writers of the songs on 13 Voices. Songs I don't mention should be 100 % Deryck.
In addition, I found these:

A Murder Of Crows - Deryck
God Save Us All - Deryck
Goddamn I'm Dead Again - Deryck
Fall And The Rise - Deryck

So you were right. :silly:
jordidanen95
Bunkface
First name: jordi
Instrument 2: piano

Post by jordidanen95 »

lets say the album leaks a week early, that only gives us 3 weeks of waiting time. fuck yeah
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

I just dug up the SBM-thread to see when the previews of the songs were posted online.

It was around a week before the album was released.

Won't listen to them anyway, but if anyone decides to (and you're of course free to do so), please use spoiler tags.
jordidanen95
Bunkface
First name: jordi
Instrument 2: piano

Post by jordidanen95 »

itunes doesn't do previews anymore......we'll have to wait for a leak, or the official release date.
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

The SBM previews we got weren't on iTunes either.

It was some weird but legit German site that posted them.