Sum 41 / 13 Voices discussion

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: Re:

Post by TomiT14 »

Mike wrote:
samueeL wrote:Dare I say... absolutely amazing interview with Dave:
http://www.riffyou.com/qa-return-rejuvenated-sum-41/
Sounds like that's the only solo Dave did on the record. At least it's
Spoiler: show
a minute and a half long.
Let's remember the spoiler tags, shall we!
And let's keep the information such as this one in the same thread they originally appeared, so that us who don't want to be spoiled can still visit the forums without any more info ruining it.
Sam_41
First name: Samuel
Post by Sam_41 »

calm yourself down tomi, information such as this has been published in this thread before.
TomiT14

Re:

Post by TomiT14 »

Sam_41 wrote:calm yourself down tomi, information such as this has been published in this thread before.
Really? I think I've read this thread all the way through many times, haven't catched that.

If it was taken from the reviews, it's not as much spoiling as from a leak, but it's still spoiling. Therefore it would be nice for us who don't want to be spoiled to keep the info such as that one in the thread it was discovered, and not spread it around.

Of course, it would be easy to just avoid TNS altogether, but there's still a lot going on in the Sum-land these days, so let's make the experience great for everyone, shall we?
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Yess I think it's somewhat stated somewhere that Dave took part in playign solos. I think it was the APMA interview where they talked about how they went to play first show together and left Dave to Deryck's house to record a solo... That was such long time ago!

That first video that Mitchell posted, there's a story behind Murder of Crows. It was talked about tiny bit earlier somewhere but damn. Loving these interviews.
The Jester
First name: Rick
Post by The Jester »

Oh man, Dave seems like the ultimate Bro. I want to give that man a hug
TomiT14

Re:

Post by TomiT14 »

samueeL wrote:Yess I think it's somewhat stated somewhere that Dave took part in playign solos. I think it was the APMA interview where they talked about how they went to play first show together and left Dave to Deryck's house to record a solo... That was such long time ago!

That first video that Mitchell posted, there's a story behind Murder of Crows. It was talked about tiny bit earlier somewhere but damn. Loving these interviews.
Mainly the length of the solo was news to me. :silly:

Yeah that longer interview is GOLD. Thanks Mitch!
samueeL
Finnish Flash

Post by samueeL »

TomiT14 wrote:Mainly the length of the solo was news to me. :silly:
Oh shit yeah, that's definitely a spoiler worthy. I think it's only been mentioned in two reviews and two interviews that came out not too long ago.

I'd love so much if Deryck could do track-by-track videos/interviews whatever about the new album. Few bands I listen have done that and I love those, hearing how the song came to be and what's the meaning to the songwriter.
Sju
First name: Zuzana

Re:

Post by Sju »

Mitchell wrote:Two more:
From 11:20 he talks about people close to him leaving during the bad times (in relation to one of the songs on 13 Voices so don't watch if you don't know and don't want to), and he mentions "someone who's even in my family." Do you think it's Matt?
samueeL
Finnish Flash

Post by samueeL »

Deryck's interview:
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/03/su ... and-new-lp

And answer to something everyone here has been asking:
And what led to your drummer Steve-O leaving after the last tour for 2011’s Screaming Bloody Murder?
Steve-O left after a long gruelling tour which is not surprising. I know I was feeling, ‘I don’t know if I ever want to see these guys again. I don’t know if I want to do this again. This may be a time to do something different.’ What I do know is I’m not going to make any decisions right now. He did the opposite and that was the last time I spoke to him so I don’t really know what his whole thing is.
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Re:

Post by sprinks41 »

samueeL wrote:And answer to something everyone here has been asking:
And what led to your drummer Steve-O leaving after the last tour for 2011’s Screaming Bloody Murder?
Steve-O left after a long gruelling tour which is not surprising. I know I was feeling, ‘I don’t know if I ever want to see these guys again. I don’t know if I want to do this again. This may be a time to do something different.’ What I do know is I’m not going to make any decisions right now. He did the opposite and that was the last time I spoke to him so I don’t really know what his whole thing is.
"That was the last time I spoke to him..."
That proves Steve never reached out to Deryck during his time in the hospital and recovery process
Ashasx
Bunkface
First name: Jordan
Re: 13 Voices

Post by Ashasx »

I just received shipping confirmation via email for my PledgeMusic order.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i.imgur.com/j66kxPc.png[/imgwidth]
Ashasx
Bunkface
First name: Jordan

Post by Ashasx »

Surprisingly they played FMOD on Colbert :)

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i.imgur.com/j66kxPc.png[/imgwidth]
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Ashasx wrote:Surprisingly they played FMOD on Colbert :)
and they absolutely killed it. Sounded great. SO fucking excited to see them
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I missed the performance because I was at work, and also I don't have TV, haha.

For those who are like me (who missed it) I'm hoping they'll post the performance on YouTube in the next couple of days.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMtFAi ... fig/videos
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

IMO, this song sounds so much better without the effects on Deryck's voice in the verses.
And this performance is really good, glad we can hear clearly Tom's and Dave's back-vocals.
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Faeyaner »

I just watched the performance at Stephen Colbert's on YouTube and must say, I absolutely dig the line-up! As Tom, Deryck and Dave are all playing the guitar and contribute the most to the vocals, this makes perfectly sense. Although Cone is good for making a show at the front, he needs his mic most of the time for some background layer or shouting and keeping the rhythm section together isn't a bad thing as well.

The performance itself was just fine, although the drums could have been mixed better and I don't like Deryck's guitar sound to 100% (sounded even not perfectly in tune). Somehow the light show reminded me of Lopez Tonight when they performed SBM a few years back haha.
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
The Jester
First name: Rick

Post by The Jester »

sprinks41 wrote:
samueeL wrote:And answer to something everyone here has been asking:
"That was the last time I spoke to him..."
That proves Steve never reached out to Deryck during his time in the hospital and recovery process
I'm sure there's 2 sides to the story, but that sounds just completely wrong
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Just to spend some time 'till 13 Voices, a top 10 list from WatchMojo. :devious:
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Faeyaner »

Until the 'Honorable Mentions' I thought that video was made in somewhat 2008...

Seems like they just ordered the singles by sales numbers, but seems legit to me considering how much garbage they produce nowadays (I used a video of them in my finals a few years ago, wasn't that bad after all)
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
PTswim41
Billy Spleen
First name: Dan

Post by PTswim41 »

Fake my own death on The Late Show last night:
As a big fan of the show, I can tell you that bands almost never get standing ovations. I thought the song sounded so good