Sum 41 enters studio!

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
jacobbadillo41
Bunkface
First name: Jacob
Instrument 1: Guitar

Re: Sum 41 enters studio!

Post by jacobbadillo41 »

I really think these are very extreme comments. They are busy finding among tour and record label. Sooner or later they will surprise us with the disc will be bright,I'll wait for my cd signed happy, it's a very difficult thing to get it for me.
if we have to wait a few months for me no problem.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I don't find my comment extreme at all. We got lot of promises and still we're in the dark about what's going on. Maybe things got out of control, I understand, but it's a little bit disappointing, that they communicate with fans, still, we don't get straight answers. Maybe it's because nothing's sure, they don't have answers and I understand it too. But the fact that we so close to pledge deadline, which meant that we would get a full, complete album, and now we don't even know if exist even one new, complete song at all... I'm sad, because I'm a fan, now that they're on tour there's so much excitement in the air, and I'm happy they're on the road again, but... but we get the same songs they've been playing for years. They're good, I like them, but I'm gonna be honest, it's tiring.
All in all, I'd like to hear something about the future. With this opinion I don't think I offend them and I don't find it extreme reaction at all. After these months, I don't even find it an impatient reaction.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Sum 41 France had an interview with Deryck yesterday. It should be up soon.

Remember SBM? It was supposed to be an EP that would have neen released two years earlier. In my opinion it's the best album ever written, no matter how hard I try to give it an objective listen, so I think it was definitely worth the wait.

Of course Deryck could rush things up and release the record right away. But why would he, if he knows he can make it even better? It's not like they are stealing your money, they are doing their best so that they can give you the best product possible in return.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

They don't even know how they're releasing the album, so they really need to stop saying "it's nearly finished" in interviews. I'm not annoyed at all that it's taking so long to come out, but I do feel it was a bit silly of them to commit to fulfilling the pledge deadlines (including the album?) by next month.

If you look at the trajectory of Sum 41 in the industry through the years, each album has taken much longer than the last to release. Which is ironic, because their most loved and probably best album took only a year and a half to release after their commercial behemoth debut full length which created their busiest touring schedule ever.

I have no problem with how any of this has played out, I've just always found it interesting how each subsequent album has taken longer.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

All of your opinions are good points of view guys, but I think the problem with this is that I think the album was announced in an early and wrong way, with this I don't mean the pledgemusic project, I mean was announced when not even had something concrete just seeds or very early demos and another thing is they make available so many amazing things that you can get with the album with a final release date was a mistake, since many were confused with this because you don't know if that will be the release date, or if that date is the last day that you have to pre order the album, or other things that nothing have to do, so I think we need to clear up this confusion.
PTswim41
Billy Spleen
First name: Dan

Post by PTswim41 »

TomiT14 wrote:Sum 41 France had an interview with Deryck yesterday. It should be up soon.

Remember SBM? It was supposed to be an EP that would have neen released two years earlier. In my opinion it's the best album ever written, no matter how hard I try to give it an objective listen, so I think it was definitely worth the wait.

Of course Deryck could rush things up and release the record right away. But why would he, if he knows he can make it even better? It's not like they are stealing your money, they are doing their best so that they can give you the best product possible in return.
Best album ever written? My god. Deryck himself wouldn't even think that.
Andros wrote:All of your opinions are good points of view guys, but I think the problem with this is that I think the album was announced in an early and wrong way, with this I don't mean the pledgemusic project, I mean was announced when not even had something concrete just seeds or very early demos and another thing is they make available so many amazing things that you can get with the album with a final release date was a mistake, since many were confused with this because you don't know if that will be the release date, or if that date is the last day that you have to pre order the album, or other things that nothing have to do, so I think we need to clear up this confusion.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say but I agree that it would be nice if they cleared up some of the confusion. If and when they miss the pledge music deadline and subsequently have to give back all the money, that will be very embarrassing for the band. I wish they wouldn't have put a deadline on it. The band has always said they don't work well with deadlines.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Andros »

Yeah what I'm trying to say is that so much confusion about the release date, the pledge music thing and what they give you on March 31st, the stuff you pre ordered? The album? Or what? Some say the stuff that you pre ordered, some say the album so who's right? But if you guide by the lack of updates and information about the new album, they for sure will give you the stuff you pre ordered without the album.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

PTswim41 wrote:Best album ever written? My god. Deryck himself wouldn't even think that.
Haha, of course he wouldn't. That would be weird. I don't know any artist who would think "This album I wrote is the best album ever written".

SBM has very powerful songs with meaningful lyrics. I think every song makes you feel something, whether it's sadness, joy, inspiration or it makes you want to dance. To me, there's no song that would be just 'meh'. But that's my opinion and no one has to agree with me.

And of course, I haven't listened to every single album from the beginning of music industry. There are a lot of great artists and albums, but from the ones I've listened to, SBM makes me feel something that no other record does.

Also, this is a matter of opinion, and that's a pointless topic to argue about.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

We can't really say this album is taking longer than Screaming Bloody Murder since I don't think Deryck really started working on it until 2014 after he was hospitalized. I'm just speculating here and going off memory, so correct me if I'm wrong. If Deryck began writing the new album shortly into his recovery (assuming from square one), then the album should be out in a little more than two years if it is to be out in 2016. To me, that is a reasonable amount of time to have to work on an album. Considering that Deryck was in recovery learning how to walk again, play guitar again, as well as get married, and perform live shows here and there it's been a busy year to squeeze in getting an album completed.

To be honest, when I saw that the pledge deadline was in March of this year I was very skeptical. I didn't think there'd be an album out that soon. If pledges have to be honoured by that date does that include the listening parties at the studio or whatever? I doubt anyone here had the cash on hand for something like that, but I imagine at least one person may have bought that privilege?
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

honestly the pledge music deadline doesnt really mean anything. i pledged for IAMDYNAMITES new album back in 2014 i didnt get my vinyl till october 2015 and the album didnt come out till like august/september 2015 and im sure the "deadline" was passed by then. March was probably just a placeholder and they can change it anytime they want.
Mr. Biz
First name: Deryck

Post by Mr. Biz »

Jeremy Kill wrote:We can't really say this album is taking longer than Screaming Bloody Murder since I don't think Deryck really started working on it until 2014 after he was hospitalized. I'm just speculating here and going off memory, so correct me if I'm wrong. If Deryck began writing the new album shortly into his recovery (assuming from square one), then the album should be out in a little more than two years if it is to be out in 2016. To me, that is a reasonable amount of time to have to work on an album. Considering that Deryck was in recovery learning how to walk again, play guitar again, as well as get married, and perform live shows here and there it's been a busy year to squeeze in getting an album completed.

To be honest, when I saw that the pledge deadline was in March of this year I was very skeptical. I didn't think there'd be an album out that soon. If pledges have to be honoured by that date does that include the listening parties at the studio or whatever? I doubt anyone here had the cash on hand for something like that, but I imagine at least one person may have bought that privilege?

i haven't read all the posts but i can get the gist of what everyone is thinking. this post seems to be accurate to the way happened in the past while. things have been non stop since i got out of the hospital. recovering, writing, recording, rehearsing new drummers, rehearsing a new band, twice. performing shows and everything and anything else that goes on. i just want to clear up this march deadline for an album release. that has never been the case. that was something that was interrupted and turned into something "official"l on this site. it's not official and never has been. for the sheer fact alone that we will not even have a choice when the record comes out. that will be up to the label who will be spending all the money on promoting it to decided how and when it makes the most sense. that march date is only for when the pledge campaign ends. it was an estimated date on how long the record would probably take to make. we don't want to just keep taking people's money so there is a deadline for ourselves. there's still a little bit more to be done, and we're still talking record companies to find the best fit. i can tell you we're planning for it to come out this year. and you will all know as soon as we know when that is.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Mr. Biz wrote:i haven't read all the posts but i can get the gist of what everyone is thinking. this post seems to be accurate to the way happened in the past while. things have been non stop since i got out of the hospital. recovering, writing, recording, rehearsing new drummers, rehearsing a new band, twice. performing shows and everything and anything else that goes on. i just want to clear up this march deadline for an album release. that has never been the case. that was something that was interrupted and turned into something "official"l on this site. it's not official and never has been. for the sheer fact alone that we will not even have a choice when the record comes out. that will be up to the label who will be spending all the money on promoting it to decided how and when it makes the most sense. that march date is only for when the pledge campaign ends. it was an estimated date on how long the record would probably take to make. we don't want to just keep taking people's money so there is a deadline for ourselves. there's still a little bit more to be done, and we're still talking record companies to find the best fit. i can tell you we're planning for it to come out this year. and you will all know as soon as we know when that is.
Thanks for clearing things up, at least now we know what we can expect. I just hope you will play some new sounds on the next shows. :winkwink:
jacobbadillo41
Bunkface
First name: Jacob

Post by jacobbadillo41 »

Mr. Biz wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:We can't really say this album is taking longer than Screaming Bloody Murder since I don't think Deryck really started working on it until 2014 after he was hospitalized. I'm just speculating here and going off memory, so correct me if I'm wrong. If Deryck began writing the new album shortly into his recovery (assuming from square one), then the album should be out in a little more than two years if it is to be out in 2016. To me, that is a reasonable amount of time to have to work on an album. Considering that Deryck was in recovery learning how to walk again, play guitar again, as well as get married, and perform live shows here and there it's been a busy year to squeeze in getting an album completed.

i haven't read all the posts but i can get the gist of what everyone is thinking. this post seems to be accurate to the way happened in the past while. things have been non stop since i got out of the hospital. recovering, writing, recording, rehearsing new drummers, rehearsing a new band, twice. performing shows and everything and anything else that goes on. i just want to clear up this march deadline for an album release. that has never been the case. that was something that was interrupted and turned into something "official"l on this site. it's not official and never has been. for the sheer fact alone that we will not even have a choice when the record comes out. that will be up to the label who will be spending all the money on promoting it to decided how and when it makes the most sense. that march date is only for when the pledge campaign ends. it was an estimated date on how long the record would probably take to make. we don't want to just keep taking people's money so there is a deadline for ourselves. there's still a little bit more to be done, and we're still talking record companies to find the best fit. i can tell you we're planning for it to come out this year. and you will all know as soon as we know when that is.

it was clear it would. We all want to hear something new but if we waited five years I think we can wait more months
In my opinion I think you are doing things very well.
The album will be released when it's convenient for you,it is logical.
I would only ask one thing is that you continue on this path even the process takes a little longer.
  I prefer a long wait to get my hands on an album that will remember it for years.
Also it is appreciated that many photos to Facebook and Instagram climb is a way to keep up to date.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

I think this point is very relevant and well made (I was posting from my phone last night and only had the time and patience to get my basic opinion across, but was going to discuss something similar). The band have had probably the most hectic few years of all their lives since they came off the road from the SBM tour. All of Deryck's ups and downs are well documented. As well as these, Cone and Frank became dads, Tom was married, and it seems Dave has had quite a life-changing few years himself. Trying to get everyone together to create can be tough enough and life only becomes more complicated with huge events like these occurring in between. I suppose it gives me a better understanding as to how and why DTLI came so soon after All Killer (the band were young, had few responsibilities, the label wanted more hits asap).

Like I said I have zero problem with how this has all played out as a fan of the band who's bought the album already. Deryck's (and the band itself's) triumphant return is an epic story and I don't mind if we have to wait longer to hear the new songs to accompany this new era for the band. If their live show is anything to go by, the album will be worth the wait. Every single band member was on top form on this tour and hopefully it's manifesting into the best album they've done yet.
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

TomiT14 wrote:Sum 41 France had an interview with Deryck yesterday. It should be up soon.

I have to say, I feel about SBM the same way as you do. If I take that album as a whole it's really something different than everything else before. I fell in love with SBM the first time I heard it. And from the short clips we've heard so far I say - take as much time as needed for this album to be perfect.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Andros »

Well, I'm fine with this.
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

There's a 'new' post on Instagram, stating you can still buy a signed snare drum used during the recording process.

Yay, that's all for now...

This is getting kinda frustrating.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

C'mon Lars. Live your life, album comes out whenever it's ready. With many bands I listen there's no updates at all, it's just "album coming out" announcement one day. Waiting goes fast when you don't wait :)
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

samueeL wrote:C'mon Lars. Live your life, album comes out whenever it's ready. With many bands I listen there's no updates at all, it's just "album coming out" announcement one day. Waiting goes fast when you don't wait :)
Exactly this. Lars (and everyone else who has these frustrations), not sure if you read my post in the interview thread, but you could tell I'm getting frustrated when I see posts like yours. Deryck just gave us an interview two weeks ago where he said he has 10 songs done, 5 in the works and one song idea that just popped in his head. 2 weeks ago.

Yeah, we got daily updates during the SBM recordings, but most of it was footage of partying. There's no party this time around, and since the guys are recording at their homes, there's not much to film.

And like Samuel said, many bands tell their fans nothing about their work in progress. Nothing. And we even got Deryck as a member here to answer all our questions, though I'm not surprised why he seems to have taken a little break lately.
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Pledgemusic wrote:ou will also get access to all of our behind-the-scenes, making of the album, videos and photos. You can hear sneak peaks of songs, watch us write and record and maybe even get into a fight or two!
All of this has - indeed - been released. But there are 17 updates in total so far. 13 of them were 'real' news. An update like 'We've added more posters' isn't an update at all to me.

I'm not talking about the Sum 41 France-interview here, since I didn't pay for that. It's been 8 months since the Pledge-campaign started and all we got was 13 'updates'.

Once again: I am NOT talking about the other updates on Instagram, which I really like and appreciate a lot.
TomiT14 wrote:Yeah, we got daily updates during the SBM recordings, but most of it was footage of partying. There's no party this time around, and since the guys are recording at their homes, there's not much to film.
That's strange, since you stated you disagree with Deryck when he was saying 'the recording process isn't that interesting to watch this time'.
TomiT14 wrote: And like Samuel said, many bands tell their fans nothing about their work in progress. Nothing.
I couldn't agree more. That's why I'm pointing at the Pledge-campaign and not to The Sums. I couldn't think of another band who cares more about their fans.
TomiT14 wrote: And we even got Deryck as a member here to answer all our questions though I'm not surprised why he seems to have taken a little break lately.
Of course, he has the right to do so, but I - as a fan - have the right to express my opinion as well.