Sum 41 enters studio!

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
jacobbadillo41
Bunkface
First name: Jacob
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by jacobbadillo41 »

We are very excited to hear the new record, we waiting five years and looks like it will be amazing by the enthusiasm and energy they transmit, but we have few details of how they will be the record.
Last edited by jacobbadillo41 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacobbadillo41
Bunkface

Re: Re:

Post by jacobbadillo41 »

Mr. Biz wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:I agree with Hugo and feel as though these video updates aren't coming to us as they are happening. The last video featuring Zummo on drums, he and Deryck are wearing the same clothes, and it looks like they could've just shot one video and split it into two parts. The last video regarding the recording of drums came out about a month ago, and from what I remember with Stevo, he took about a week to record the drums completely and be done. When it came to recording in the studio, I remember Sum 41 was always fast (I think in the past mostly because they hated it, haha).

What we're getting for videos isn't much of an "update" as it is an insight to how the album is coming together. I believe they are further along the recording process than just finishing up drums, and it could be that they're behind on making videos for the Pledge or just trying to milk their footage, haha, which, whatever, I don't care, I'm looking forward to the new music.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they are done recording everything or just have a few guitar parts and vocals to take care of.

the reason for that is because this record isn't being recorded like the previous albums where there's a set of 12 or so songs and we go and record them all at once. songs are being recorded here and there. a few at a time. and the footage of us blowing through a bass or guitar part in one take isn't very exciting to watch. on the last record i was living in a house with my friends and there was a lot happening. a lot of interaction. there was a lot of different energies around and funny things happening. this time i'm by myself most of the time and it's really quite boring to watch. this is just a whole different process that doesn't lend itself to being very interesting to watch. it's a bit of watching paint dry honestly. what i can tell you is that it's all work! and i think the record will come out great because of it. maybe just not so much for the video footage. sorry about that. but we're trying to wrap up as soon as possible, get a label in place, get out on the road and release this fucking thing asap!
Deryck Hello, I read in an article that there are only a few details of the record, I was wondering when we could hear something new if only a few seconds, or you waiting to have everything completely finished? Thank you and see you soon ;)
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Basically for the rest of this year, we don't hear nothing new until next year.
DW_60
Hooch
First name: Amin
Instrument 3: Drum
Twitter: aaminolo

Re: Sum 41 enters studio!

Post by DW_60 »

I’m not really for that kind of pressure towards an artist. An artist should stay the same and shouldn’t in my opinion force himself to publish things he doesn’t want to. We all love Sum 41. I agree with the fact that the artist has a duty to listen to its fans, but the fact that Deryck takes part in the life of the forum very much proves he’s listening to us. I’m part of the fans who love to watch recording updates (rather than touring updates) because this is a process I’m not familiar with, and I prefer to learn that with a band I really like than with pseudo stars who create a making of made like a crappy reality tv show. Comparing the recording process is not a good way to see things. Every process is different, we’ve all seen that, and I think it’s more interesting for us to discover a new way of recording, than to have a remake of the SBM era. I don’t know if you’ll agree with me, but I think each album of Sum 41 has its own identity, and they remind me of pretty strong memories. My favorite era (not my favorite album, even if I love it), is the one of UH in 2007. I was young and this album left me speechless when I was with my family on summer holidays ! I remember hearing The Jester for the first time (my favorite song of the band), I cried tears of joy with my cousin !

I completely understand that Deryck doesn’t want to focus of those things that can seem futile to him. I trust him because I’m sure he’s working hard to make an album he’ll be proud to show to the world. I don't have the chance to speak English so I have to make someone translate the videos for me so I can understand what’s being said in them, and that takes some time. I can tell you that the translator of Sum 41 France, Cyril (even if he won’t admit it to himself), had a hard time during the SBM era translating all the videos that were published day after day ahah, and I thank him once again while he’s translating this text that I just posted. There were so many videos to translate that all we can say is that Deryck made it easy for him this time ! Thanks for him. Seriously, putting pressure on a band to release an album quickly doesn’t mean the band will do it right. We should let Deryck work even if that means the album will be delayed to 2017. Guys, we’re Sum 41 fans, we have to be patient. If there are any movie fans here, we waited 15 years for a new Star Wars ahah.

I haven’t received the translation of the new update yet, but Franck really looks nice as Tomi said. He looks like a good man and I really like the alchemy between him and Deryck. I’m really looking forward to hearing more of it, and I hope the band is preparing a surprise for us for the holidays or the weeks to come !!
I hope I’ll have the strength to go see them in february, we miss them a lot !
Image Image

" Tu es mon petite poubelle. "
Amin #sum41france http://www.facebook.com/Sum41France
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

DW_60 wrote:Franck really looks nice as Tomi said
Maybe lost in translation, but I meant he seems like a nice guy.

But yeah, he looks nice as well (no homo). :silly:
jacobbadillo41
Bunkface

Post by jacobbadillo41 »

Frank is a good man by what we see in videos and in their social profiles, as a professional is a great drummer is hard and fast on drums, he looks perfect to be a Sum 41
DW_60
Hooch
First name: Amin
Instrument 3: Drum
Twitter: aaminolo

Post by DW_60 »

aha sorry!
Image Image

" Tu es mon petite poubelle. "
Amin #sum41france http://www.facebook.com/Sum41France
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

I wonder what style this new record will be, actually.

In the beginning, my guess was the music kinda took off where SBM ended. But the more I see and hear, the more I believe this will be more of a DTLI or Chuck-ish album.

I won't mind at all, but on the other hand: I hope all of the elements I loved about UH and SBM (the harmonies, the fact the latter was really eclectic,...) will appear on this record as well.
jacobbadillo41
Bunkface

Post by jacobbadillo41 »

DW_60 wrote:aha sorry!
Hello, not if his message was for me, my intention is not to overwhelm the artist but was supposed to stay three months to launch the record why I'm surprised there are not many details about the record, logically I expect to hear much longer something new sum 41 as if it comes in 2017 or 2020. Sorry for my language and regards!
Andros
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Andros »

So I was listening the earlier versions of Moron and Open Your Eyes, I think are awesome the rough sound, but I have a question for Deryck and that is, there's more rough version of the chuck album? Just like those 2 songs, are super awesome to me. I'm curious to know how it would sound 88, Noots, No Reason or the rest of the album in that way.
jacobbadillo41
Bunkface

Post by jacobbadillo41 »

Hello you believe that he could take advantage of this for the new record? I think it would be very interesting

https://youtu.be/Syqmq2olgao
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

jacobbadillo41 wrote:Hello you believe that he could take advantage of this for the new record? I think it would be very interesting

Don't be fooled. You're better than that.
jacobbadillo41
Bunkface

Post by jacobbadillo41 »

TomiT14 wrote:
jacobbadillo41 wrote:Hello you believe that he could take advantage of this for the new record? I think it would be very interesting

Don't be fooled. You're better than that.
Jajajajaja Really? I've been thinking it was them long enough, thanks
Andros
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Andros »

It's hard to find demos for the sums because are very complicated, especially from SBM era we only have one and that is Crash, if you want you can put Skumfuck the first version that we have maybe it's a demo for the drums intro, then we have the "demo tape" from HHOP are: Another Time Around, Astronaut, Summer, What I Believe then from DTLI era are: Still Waiting, Over My Head, All Messed Up, then Chuck era: Moron, Open Your Eyes. And if that can count as one we can consider "March Of The Dogs" from the previous release before UH drops, have some changes in the guitar part besides the album version. We don't have some demos for AKNF or the rest of the songs from all the albums. So the list for the demos that we have is: Another Time Around, Astronaut, Summer, What I Believe, All Messed Up, Over My Head, Still Waiting, Moron, Open Your Eyes, March Of The Dogs, Crash and Skumfuck
Mr. Biz
First name: Deryck

Post by Mr. Biz »

Andros wrote:It's hard to find demos for the sums because are very complicated, especially from SBM era we only have one and that is Crash, if you want you can put Skumfuck the first version that we have maybe it's a demo for the drums intro, then we have the "demo tape" from HHOP are: Another Time Around, Astronaut, Summer, What I Believe then from DTLI era are: Still Waiting, Over My Head, All Messed Up, then Chuck era: Moron, Open Your Eyes. And if that can count as one we can consider "March Of The Dogs" from the previous release before UH drops, have some changes in the guitar part besides the album version. We don't have some demos for AKNF or the rest of the songs from all the albums. So the list for the demos that we have is: Another Time Around, Astronaut, Summer, What I Believe, All Messed Up, Over My Head, Still Waiting, Moron, Open Your Eyes, March Of The Dogs, Crash and Skumfuck

i guess i don't really think of releasing demos because they really don't sound much different than the album versions you already know. i don't make a demo until the song is pretty much done except for lyrics. i don't show the even the band anything until it sounds like a finished song. just with gibberish lyrics. and as time went on, from UH to now, the demos kind of become the album versions. since i have all the recording equipment to make an album, when i make a demo i keep recording over it and it becomes the album version. there are some variations of songs on this record. maybe i will release some. just never felt that any of the demos are that exciting.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Andros »

Mr. Biz wrote:i guess i don't really think of releasing demos because they really don't sound much different than the album versions you already know. i don't make a demo until the song is pretty much done except for lyrics. i don't show the even the band anything until it sounds like a finished song. just with gibberish lyrics. and as time went on, from UH to now, the demos kind of become the album versions. since i have all the recording equipment to make an album, when i make a demo i keep recording over it and it becomes the album version. there are some variations of songs on this record. maybe i will release some. just never felt that any of the demos are that exciting.
Thanks for the answer D, I know that some demos have not difference from the final song, but I'm curious to know if can you tell me what are the differences for some songs that you remember? Especially the most recent albums like UH or SBM. And I know like me are some other people that find interesting the "evolution" process of a song, in how little things can make a big difference in the final version.
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

Andros wrote:
Mr. Biz wrote:i guess i don't really think of releasing demos because they really don't sound much different than the album versions you already know. i don't make a demo until the song is pretty much done except for lyrics. i don't show the even the band anything until it sounds like a finished song. just with gibberish lyrics. and as time went on, from UH to now, the demos kind of become the album versions. since i have all the recording equipment to make an album, when i make a demo i keep recording over it and it becomes the album version. there are some variations of songs on this record. maybe i will release some. just never felt that any of the demos are that exciting.
Thanks for the answer D, I know that some demos have not difference from the final song, but I'm curious to know if can you tell me what are the differences for some songs that you remember? Especially the most recent albums like UH or SBM. And I know like me are some other people that find interesting the "evolution" process of a song, in how little things can make a big difference in the final version.

if you've heard the demo for over my head they're about as different from the album version as that.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Andros »

Mr. Biz wrote:if you've heard the demo for over my head they're about as different from the album version as that.
Yeah, but what about "A Dark Roud Out Of Hell"? are differences from the album version? And another example any changes in "No Reason"?
I think the "demo" thread is an interesting thing, I love music, I make music and love that process when you create a song.
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

Andros wrote:
Mr. Biz wrote:if you've heard the demo for over my head they're about as different from the album version as that.
Yeah, but what about "A Dark Roud Out Of Hell"? are differences from the album version? And another example any changes in "No Reason"?
I think the "demo" thread is an interesting thing, I love music, I make music and love that process when you create a song.

surprisingly dark road isn't any different. it's the same thing with some gibberish lyrics. it's possible, but i'm not sure, there might be a different jessica kill somewhere. but i don't quite remember without finding it.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Sum 41 will be at Sziget Festival, Hungary! I can't believe it, made my day and possibly my entire Christmas season! :devious: It's funny, because the first time the band was here, the new album just came out (2011 july, at Volt Festival), I hope this new album will be out by the time you come here again and maybe play new songs also? :2cool4u: