Sum 41 enters studio!

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Late June? Too long.
Sickore
Billy Spleen
First name: Justyna
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: FiFty_B
Twitter: j_sickore

Re: Sum 41 enters studio!

Post by Sickore »

I don't want my money back even in the unlikely 2018 scenario. I can wait for my signed CD forever if it's what it takes. Take it easy people. June? Sounds great to me!
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Late June sounds great. However, I'd like at least one or two songs before the end of March so it gives me a reason to appreciate and hype the rest of the album more when it comes out. Like right now, we have only heard maybe 10-20 seconds of a couple of riffs... Back in the SBM days we had our hands on Skumfuk a year if not years before the actual release! Would be nice to have something coming around soon :silly:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re:

Post by TomiT14 »

HugoDisasters wrote:Late June sounds great. However, I'd like at least one or two songs before the end of March so it gives me a reason to appreciate and hype the rest of the album more when it comes out. Like right now, we have only heard maybe 10-20 seconds of a couple of riffs... Back in the SBM days we had our hands on Skumfuk a year if not years before the actual release! Would be nice to have something coming around soon :silly:
Normally the first single comes out a couple of months before the album release, so I'm quite hopeful we'll get our first song around March/April (if the release date stays that way).

With SBM, the release date was up in the air. The original date was at the end of July 2010, but since the band wanted to add two more songs in June, the label decided to postpone the release to a distant future. The album was ready in July, but since the release date wasn't around the corner, the band decided to give us something to wait for. :happy:

I'm glad they didn't give us the Dark Road though. :silly:
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re:

Post by Gregorovich »

samueeL wrote:Depending on label stuff of course.
There is no label, that's the point of indie fundraising.
fuck this signature nonsense
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

HugoDisasters wrote:
Sickore wrote:
Jables wrote:Fuckin' A!
With any luck it'll a lovely quick recording process, and we'll be rocking out to a new Sums album by Summer 2018! :silly:
Yeah, let's set our sights for 2018 and end up "surprised" when the new music comes out in 2016 :winkwink:
- We will hear our first preview of an almost finished song by this christmas.
- We will get our first full song either leaked or pre-released by february.
- Studio video updates will start to be posted by the end of this month and keep coming at a steady pace until March.

Let's see how close I am :D
Spoiler: show
I'll be far off as fuck.
hope you're right, a new song for christmas would be sweet
TomiT14

Re: Re:

Post by TomiT14 »

Gregorovich wrote:
Well if I remember/understood correctly, the fundraising was for the recording/mixing/mastering process. But the actual release, along with marketing and promotional stuff, would be done by the label of their choice.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

TomiT14 wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
But the actual release, along with marketing and promotional stuff, would be done by the label of their choice.
I don't think that's how it works ^^
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Ardi41 wrote:I don't think that's how it works ^^
With a quick googling, I found this quote from late August (PledgeMusic was started in early July):
Deryck wrote:“Recording-wise, there’s about 6 or 7 songs recorded. But the thing is, I just keep writing new ones … but I am going to stop it at a point. It’s not going to keep going. For the next few months, it’s just writing and recording and then I hope it should be getting ready to be done. Then we have to figure out our label situation. I just really want to get back on the road. I hate being in the studio.”
I'm sure I read somewhere that they are looking for the label once they've finished recording. Of course things might have changed since then.

EDIT: AbsolutePunk.net in late July:
Deryck wrote:Well once my part of the process is done, which won't be too far away, we still have to figure out how the record will come out; which label and how and when they're going to release. All that kind of stuff. So we're getting close to start talking to labels and see what our options are. I’ve been so focused on writing and recording that we haven't had too many conversations about that part yet.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Releasing on a label is fairly pointless to be honest. They'll have easily raised enough money for self-distribution - I've seen Kickstarter bands with a tenth of the following of the Sums get a full super-deluxe vinyl/merch release. I suppose if they wanted to get their CDs in highstreet retailers they'd need execs, but Deryck never seemed particularly interested in that kind of thing.
fuck this signature nonsense
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Re:

Post by sprinks41 »

Gregorovich wrote:I suppose if they wanted to get their CDs in highstreet retailers they'd need execs, but Deryck never seemed particularly interested in that kind of thing.
I agree with this, but I still think it'd be easier on the Sum's part if they had a label. (Not arguing with you by the way, just stating my opinion.)
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Well, not to be a complete ass but I'm kinda disappointed with the whole Pledge thing.

I mean: when they were recording SBM, we've got video updates every single day. For free. And I know - of course - those were some amazing things. Not every band does that for the fans, so I'm really grateful for that.

On the other hand: now that a lot of fans actually have paid for 'exclusive videos, updates,..', I feel like there's not tons of them. While I think the recording process is one of the most interesting things to follow, but that's just me. I know how much Deryck 'hates' it himself.

And don't get me wrong: I love the updates we get, I just feel we got more of them in the past.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

A new studio update was just uploaded to PledgeMusic.
And I must say, it's probably the best studio update ever in terms of the recording process itself!

Full 2:37 of tracking the drums. This time there's no old songs playing to block what we could hear. :2cool4u:

Also, I'm beginning to like Frank very much. Seems like a very down to earth guy. And Deryck looks like he's 27 again.

The song starting at 1:26 sounds a bit like In Too Deep. Maybe we'll get an All Killer -vibe of a song? :ohshiz:
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

It's a great update, but I'm a little confused on where they're at with recording. I was thinking from that interview cone did that everything has been recorded and would be sent out for mastering this month. I figured drums were done awhile ago, unless they were doing it one song in full at a time.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Re:

Post by HugoDisasters »

spider-man wrote:It's a great update, but I'm a little confused on where they're at with recording. I was thinking from that interview cone did that everything has been recorded and would be sent out for mastering this month. I figured drums were done awhile ago, unless they were doing it one song in full at a time.
They have probably decided to release updates at a later date than recorded. Just to have them keep coming during the tour.

TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

HugoDisasters wrote:
spider-man wrote:It's a great update, but I'm a little confused on where they're at with recording. I was thinking from that interview cone did that everything has been recorded and would be sent out for mastering this month. I figured drums were done awhile ago, unless they were doing it one song in full at a time.
They have probably decided to release updates at a later date than recorded. Just to have them keep coming during the tour.
Usually they record demos at their own home studios, and then go to a proper studio to record the album. Drums first, then bass and guitars, while Deryck does the vocals last at his own studio. I think they've now done all the drums, while bass and guitars will come after these South American shows. Unless they've already done them without telling anyone.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Can't wait for hear the guitars.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I agree with Hugo and feel as though these video updates aren't coming to us as they are happening. The last video featuring Zummo on drums, he and Deryck are wearing the same clothes, and it looks like they could've just shot one video and split it into two parts. The last video regarding the recording of drums came out about a month ago, and from what I remember with Stevo, he took about a week to record the drums completely and be done. When it came to recording in the studio, I remember Sum 41 was always fast (I think in the past mostly because they hated it, haha).

What we're getting for videos isn't much of an "update" as it is an insight to how the album is coming together. I believe they are further along the recording process than just finishing up drums, and it could be that they're behind on making videos for the Pledge or just trying to milk their footage, haha, which, whatever, I don't care, I'm looking forward to the new music.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they are done recording everything or just have a few guitar parts and vocals to take care of.
Mr. Biz
First name: Deryck

Post by Mr. Biz »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I agree with Hugo and feel as though these video updates aren't coming to us as they are happening. The last video featuring Zummo on drums, he and Deryck are wearing the same clothes, and it looks like they could've just shot one video and split it into two parts. The last video regarding the recording of drums came out about a month ago, and from what I remember with Stevo, he took about a week to record the drums completely and be done. When it came to recording in the studio, I remember Sum 41 was always fast (I think in the past mostly because they hated it, haha).

What we're getting for videos isn't much of an "update" as it is an insight to how the album is coming together. I believe they are further along the recording process than just finishing up drums, and it could be that they're behind on making videos for the Pledge or just trying to milk their footage, haha, which, whatever, I don't care, I'm looking forward to the new music.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they are done recording everything or just have a few guitar parts and vocals to take care of.

the reason for that is because this record isn't being recorded like the previous albums where there's a set of 12 or so songs and we go and record them all at once. songs are being recorded here and there. a few at a time. and the footage of us blowing through a bass or guitar part in one take isn't very exciting to watch. on the last record i was living in a house with my friends and there was a lot happening. a lot of interaction. there was a lot of different energies around and funny things happening. this time i'm by myself most of the time and it's really quite boring to watch. this is just a whole different process that doesn't lend itself to being very interesting to watch. it's a bit of watching paint dry honestly. what i can tell you is that it's all work! and i think the record will come out great because of it. maybe just not so much for the video footage. sorry about that. but we're trying to wrap up as soon as possible, get a label in place, get out on the road and release this fucking thing asap!