Dave Brownsound Returns to Sum 41 for APMAs

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Re: Dave Brownsound Returns to Sum 41 for APMAs

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

sumelf wrote:confirmed
holy shit. this might be the greatest thing ever. But I really hope Tom continues to play in the band as well, he's an insane guitarist and I don't want to see him leave
MetalMilition41
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Drums
Instrument 3: Saxomophone
Twitter: Don't have that shit

Post by MetalMilition41 »

I don't want to be a buzzkill or piss on the parade but Dave's instagram post might have been misconstrued as he could of just been overjoyed at being able to come back for a one off performance like he did a few years back. Although he hasn't denied it yet which is a little strange. I think it's best to wait for official confirmation than jump the gun and go OMG OMG like all those fangirls in the weak as shit crowd last night lol

But other than that they kicked all the other bands asses even though on Fat Lip and Still Waiting the crowd were so poor. The energy was superb compared to everyone else, I liked Panic! at the Disco but even they had to rely on a cover of the greatest song of all time.

For me if it does come true and he returns in some capacity then the band should stay as a four piece. They'd look weird with both Dave and Tom. It's one or the other.

I think in the states they were trending on twitter for a bit so hopefully it generates some interest again and maybe a resurgence for the band.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

And so, Dave is back or not? I'm a little bit confused.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Andros wrote:And so, Dave is back or not? I'm a little bit confused.
We're not sure. Dave hasn't been 100% clear about being back with Sum 41 permanently. Hopefully someone from the band will be able to confirm this soon.

However, if he he was only playing a single show he had plenty of opportunities to say so before things got out of hand, but here's a recent Facebook status from him:

https://www.facebook.com/dave.brownsoun ... nref=story
I’m in ATL on a stop over. I’m reading and responding to many congratulations on my return to Sum 41. Thank you for all the love.
Somewhere in the comments someone (blurred for privacy sake, although I doubt it does much) says:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jordidanen95
Bunkface
First name: jordi
Instrument 2: piano

Post by jordidanen95 »

sum 41 will probably post something by the end of this week.
dave said it himself on facebook and twitter, and tom was in the recent studio update so i doubt him leaving.

guess it's gonna be a 5 piece now.

i also have the feeling steve will join the band once again (may take a while...year or two) but he will...
Last edited by jordidanen95 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
jordidanen95
Bunkface

Post by jordidanen95 »

deryck told me on facebook the record will be dark, like a brother to SBM. imagine dave playing on this record. insane!
MetalMilition41

Jeremy Kill wrote:
I’m in ATL on a stop over. I’m reading and responding to many congratulations on my return to Sum 41. Thank you for all the love.
I've just seen this, he also tweeted it so if his 'return' was a mix up then surely by now he would have corrected his comment. So, this is making me think it must be true!

Time for the OMG OMG's lol

But seriously this is great news, however they've always been a 4 member band and in my mind it has to stay that way otherwise it's just weird. So i'll repeat it's either Tom or Dave. I feel sorry for Tom though, but he does have his own band and stuff so he's not like on his own haha
Andros
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Andros »

The facebook post was deleted or it's not public view.
jordidanen95
Bunkface

Post by jordidanen95 »

why did he delete this, i looked at the comments for like 15 minutes ago...
this kind of confusion is what i don't get. it's also weird to hear it from him and not the official sum41 fb
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Re:

Post by SBMurder »

jordidanen95 wrote:why did he delete this, i looked at the comments for like 15 minutes ago...
this kind of confusion is what i don't get. it's also weird to hear it from him and not the official sum41 fb
if ever he deleted it because they wanted to make an official announcement or he deleted it because people took it as him being in the band when he is not.

They just posted this update https://www.facebook.com/Sum41/posts/10152879649497890
After a year and a few months of picking myself back up again and putting the pieces of my life back together i feel amazing and life couldn't be better. it's been a long dark road of hell this past year but it feels so good to be able to put it behind me and say i'm back and happier than ever and I can't wait for the future. i'm halfway through making our new album, i love the music so far. the band is back and are extremely excited. I am closer to my friends and family more than I ever have and i'm even getting married this year! Needless to say my life is full of love.

last night we performed the APMA's and had an absolute blast. we've always loved alternative press and are very thankful to have been asked to be apart of it. the whole show was incredible and it was great seeing some bands we've never seen before, as well as getting to say hello to some old friends. but the best part of the night was performing with the band for the first time in almost 3 years and along with dave brown sound who we haven't played with in 10 years. and of course fulfilling a childhood dream performing king of rock with one of our idols and inspiration DMC. All in all, the whole night made every minute of every hard day of the last year getting better, preparing and getting ready for this performance worth it. i'm now taking a much needed 3 day vacation in nyc, taking in some inspiration before i head back to LA to pick up where i left off in the studio to continue writing and recording the new sum 41 album. thank you to everyone for the continued support, I couldn't have made it this far without all of you.

the future maybe unwritten, but it sure looks amazing from here.

deryck
it doesnt mention anything of them being back together so i dunno if they are waiting for a later date to announce it or its just not happening.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Andros »

I think we need a confirmation soon, so much confusing.
MetalMilition41

Ok then I don't think it's happening again lol

I'm cool either way, but having Dave back would be great but I love Tom anyway.

Deryck would have made that sort of confirmation in the Facebook post so now I think it's unlikely he's rejoining.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

It never even crossed my mind that there was a possibility of Dave returning. I simply took the surprise guest as his last appearance with the Sums in 2008, just a one time event. The way that I look at it is this; it was more so about the friendships that were built, as Deryck said he's never felt more close to friends and family than he is now. Having Dave out there for him is a way to continue the next chapter he has already been working towards--for himself and with the band. Couldn't have asked for anything more/better.

This leads me to my next question, which is for Deryck: how did this whole performance come to be? I already had assumed you'd perform a medley, but how did that decision come about and the one to have Dave to reunite after 7 years--how was that initiated?
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Strange. Dave also deleted the photo of them playing live from his Instagram (the regram from blinksumday41).

Well, I don't know what's going on now.
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

Hard to say, I think we'll have to wait for either Deryck to clear it up or some official announcement.
MetalMilition41

Well unfortunately it seems like it might be a misunderstanding, because why would he delete the tweet/fb post then the original instagram pic that lead to this excitement if he actually was making a 'return'?

Return could of meant for one night, wishful thinking taken too far?
MetalMilition41

kufac

Post by kufac »

Well, this is what I found in coments on Sum 41's facebook:
http://sum41.cz/news/fb_coment.jpg
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Well, this is what I found in coments on Sum 41's facebook:
http://sum41.cz/news/fb_coment.jpg
Not sure what to make of that haha. Let's hope we will get more info eventually. :)
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Lars wrote:Well, this doesn't come as a big surprise to me. Tomi already hinted about it a few weeks a go.
For the record, I had NO idea Dave would be joining the band on stage.

When Deryck announced his plans of doing the Happiness Machines shows with a "special guest", I just thought it would be a perfect chance for Dave to join the stage with Deryck. That special guest turned out to be, of course, Mikey Way.

Dave joining the stage at this Sum 41 show was as big of a suprise to me as it was to majority of us. :ohshiz: