DERYCK HERE.

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
Mr. Biz
First name: Deryck
Re: DERYCK HERE.

Post by Mr. Biz »

Imderrickjay wrote:Hey deryck =) my name is Derrick haha

I don't really have a question but I just wanted to say when I heard about your condition in May I was heartbroken and scared I was gonna lose you, but hell did you prove me wrong. I saw a pic of you playing at a club in LA and you liked better then you've ever been. I just wanna say I couldn't be a prouder Sun 41 fan. You're a real inspiration and I knew I picked the right band to look up to growing up. You rock Deryck! Can't wait to hear the new material as well!

wow that really means a lot. thank you for taking the time to write that. i'm working so hard to get back to being me again. eating well, lots of exercise and of course music. i hate that i let that happen to myself, but it is what it is. all i can do is look forward to the future. onwards and upwards! thanks for being a fan.
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

maistoner41 wrote:Happy new year and Xmas Deryck! Is so nice to hear you're doin' ok, you have plans and everything for this year. I was really worry about you so that's a really good new!

I have to say your music has helped me a lot recently. I've lost an important person in my life and I also have health problems. When I listen to all your discography I always feel better and I forget all my problems, so I have to say thank you, thanks for your music, Bizzy!

We miss you in Spain, if you come here I will go wherever city you go. We are waiting for you here.

Lot of kisses Deryck, and keep on like that!

i'm sorry to hear about these things. having health problems and also losing people are both things that i can relate to very well. i'm glad that songs that i have written can mean so much to you. thank you very much. i love knowing that what i'm doing has purpose for someone else. i will continue to do my best to write more songs that hopefully speak to you and many others as well.
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Seems like you go out and watch a lot of bands lately.

Who's been your favorite so far? I'd say The National is pretty solid live. Also checking out Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds in March in the AB in Brussels (not sure if you remember that venue but it's badass).

Anyway: any favorite songs by them?
ikihsohial
Post by ikihsohial »

Hi Deryck !

First, it's nice to see you get better everyday. I wish you the best for the futur :)

I read somewhere (i think it was on www.deryckwhibley.net) that you were thinking of doing a new mix for Does This Look Infected. Although i find this album already perfect and cult, i'm curious about what you could change on it. Is it still something you are working on ?

Also, are you still working on TV Shows / movies ?

Can't wait for the new stuff, Screaming Bloody Murder is really an amazing and great album !
Mr. Biz
Re:

Post by Mr. Biz »

Lars wrote:Seems like you go out and watch a lot of bands lately.

Who's been your favorite so far? I'd say The National is pretty solid live. Also checking out Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds in March in the AB in Brussels (not sure if you remember that venue but it's badass).

Anyway: any favorite songs by them?

i've been going to a lot of shows lately. i love seeing concerts. i haven't been able to see concerts like this since i was a teenager. i stand out in the crowd and watch bands as a fan and it's been really fun. it makes me want to go on stage so bad! i can't wait. as far as the best show i've seen, i would say both aerosmith and tom petty were the best. both so different but amazing in their own ways. i've seen a lot of small shows, unknown bands etc and that's been fun too.
Mr. Biz
Re:

Post by Mr. Biz »

ikihsohial wrote:Hi Deryck !

First, it's nice to see you get better everyday. I wish you the best for the futur :)

I read somewhere (i think it was on http://www.deryckwhibley.net) that you were thinking of doing a new mix for Does This Look Infected. Although i find this album already perfect and cult, i'm curious about what you could change on it. Is it still something you are working on ?

Also, are you still working on TV Shows / movies ?

Can't wait for the new stuff, Screaming Bloody Murder is really an amazing and great album !

thank you very much. i did start remixing the dtli the way i always wanted it to sound but i stopped for 2 reasons. 1 island def jam was flip flopping about even releasing it and 2 i figured no matter how great i remixed no one would like it because everyone already likes the way it sounds and is used to it the way it is.

and yes i'm still working a tv show right now. it's a tough business. so we'll see if it ever sees the light of day. i hope it does.
deadmoon9285
First name: Jessica

Post by deadmoon9285 »

Hey, Deryck. First of all, I just want to say that you are doing an excellent job with your recovery & I, like many of your fans, are very proud of you & relieved that you made it. My stepfather passed away about a month after your trip to the hospital from his own addictions because he never wanted to accept that he had a problem, let alone get help. You had your own close call, but I'm so happy that you survived & that you're making all the right choices now so you never follow into the footsteps of many people who have died from their addictions.
Unfortunately, there is still one more person left in my life that is heading down a dangerous path with their heavy & constant drinking. I want to help them, but I don't even know how to start that conversation without putting them on the defensive.
Now that you've been down that same road & back, what would you say is the best way to reach out & help someone who has a drinking problem?
bizzyd676
First name: Tone

Post by bizzyd676 »

Yo Deryck! Awesome that you are in here answering questions! I got a couple

1. What was the last thing you listened too (old/new) that influenced how you thought about making music?

2. Which Beatles (or solo member) album is your favorite, and which song off of it?

3. When making music, do you attempt to make songs fit a unified feeling (dark and aggressive) or do the words you write determine how you approach producing the record? For example: Will we ever hear songs as bubbly as "Heart Attack" or "Rhythms" on the same album as a chilling track like "Blood in my Eyes"?

4. Is there anyone else out there that you would like to work with (old/new) before it's all said and done?

5. How do you feel about popular music today (quality and substance wise), namely artist getting famous off viral videos and with quality videos being produced for very cheap these days, why have we not seen more from the Sums?

6. Bigger influence to you? Green Day or Nirvana?

Love your music man, you are the most underrated writer of our generation.. I got you up there with Lennon/McCartney, Nick Drake, Buddy Holly and Kurt for sure.

Keep touching people with your authenticity and stay healthy bro! I teared up when I saw you in the hospital like that, I'm glad you are well on the road to recovery
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

bizzyd676 wrote:You are the most underrated writer of our generation
I couldn't agree with this more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr. Biz
Re:

Post by Mr. Biz »

deadmoon9285 wrote:Hey, Deryck. First of all, I just want to say that you are doing an excellent job with your recovery & I, like many of your fans, are very proud of you & relieved that you made it. My stepfather passed away about a month after your trip to the hospital from his own addictions because he never wanted to accept that he had a problem, let alone get help. You had your own close call, but I'm so happy that you survived & that you're making all the right choices now so you never follow into the footsteps of many people who have died from their addictions.
Unfortunately, there is still one more person left in my life that is heading down a dangerous path with their heavy & constant drinking. I want to help them, but I don't even know how to start that conversation without putting them on the defensive.
Now that you've been down that same road & back, what would you say is the best way to reach out & help someone who has a drinking problem?

i'm sorry to say that i really don't know. there was nothing that anyone could have said to me that would have stopped me. i thought i was fine and that nothing could hurt me so young. but i was wrong. i had to learn it for myself the hard way.
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

bizzyd676 wrote:Yo Deryck! Awesome that you are in here answering questions! I got a couple

1. What was the last thing you listened too (old/new) that influenced how you thought about making music? TOM PETTY. HE'S VERY SIMPLE AND TO THE POINT.

2. Which Beatles (or solo member) album is your favorite, and which song off of it? LENNON. TO MANY SONGS TO COUNT.

3. When making music, do you attempt to make songs fit a unified feeling (dark and aggressive) or do the words you write determine how you approach producing the record? For example: Will we ever hear songs as bubbly as "Heart Attack" or "Rhythms" on the same album as a chilling track like "Blood in my Eyes"? I JUST LET MUSIC AND WORDS COME OUT AND IT IS IT WHAT IT IS. THERE'S NOT A LOT OF THOUGHT BEHIND IT. HEART ATTACK AND RHYTHMS WERE ABOUT WHAT LIFE WAS LIKE AT THAT POINT AND TIME FOR ME. JUST THE SAME AS BLOOD IN MY EYES WAS. AND IT WILL BE THE SAME FOR ANYTHING I WRITE IN THE FUTURE. AS FAR AS THE SOUND AND STYLE BETWEEN THOSE KINDS OF SONGS, WELL THAT'S A DIFFERENT THOUGHT. I DON'T KNOW. RIGHT NOW I HAVE A SONG THAT SORT OF SOUNDS LIKE OLDER PUNKIER SUM 41, LIKE HHOP AKNF STYLE. BUT I'M WONDERING IF I SHOULD PUT IT ON THE ALBUM ALONGSIDE SOME OF THE MORE ROCKING CHUCK DTLI SBM STYLE SONGS THAT I HAVE OR NOT.

4. Is there anyone else out there that you would like to work with (old/new) before it's all said and done? ELVIS COSTELLO

5. How do you feel about popular music today (quality and substance wise), namely artist getting famous off viral videos and with quality videos being produced for very cheap these days, why have we not seen more from the Sums? I DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO TOO MANY NEW THINGS TO BE HONEST. I LISTEN TO WHAT I LIKE AND FOCUS ON MY OWN SONGS.

6. Bigger influence to you? Green Day or Nirvana? I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THEY BOTH PLAYED A BIG PART IN MY LIFE AT A CERTAIN AGE.

Love your music man, you are the most underrated writer of our generation.. I got you up there with Lennon/McCartney, Nick Drake, Buddy Holly and Kurt for sure. HAHA. WELL THANK YOU VERY MUCH, ALTHOUGH I DON'T KNOW IF WOULD AGREE.

Keep touching people with your authenticity and stay healthy bro! I teared up when I saw you in the hospital like that, I'm glad you are well on the road to recovery

my answers are in the caps. sorry it's in the original post. i'm still learning this whole computer thing.
bizzyd676
First name: Tone
Post by bizzyd676 »

I wish I could express how special this is for me to talk with someone I've idolized (and I use that word sparingly) since I was 11 years old! You are honestly my favorite living person of celebrity.

I was the only black kid spiking my hair lol trying to look and dress like you. From my first crush, to my most current heartbreak, there has always been some Whibleyism that perfectly summed up my experience and made me feel okay with being me.

Even though you don't think about the words you write too much, I know they are from somewhere deep because I always feel exactly where you are coming from. "In just one life, how can we, live enough to rest in peace" Wow man, really, just mind blowing... Don't be so modest!

It would be awesome btw to have those kind of dynamics on an album, like a dramatic hard rocker leading into something light, riffy, and energetic, and you've proven through your production you are more than capable of making it work!

No matter what you put out tho, i'm coppin', so keep doing you man!

I hope on my journey as an artist I can bump into you someday and give my thanks. Much love
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Hi there Deryck! Great to have you back on TNS!
Some rather mundane questions :

1. "Definitely Maybe" or "Whats the story" ?
2. Did you pull off that scream in pull the curtain yourself ? cause it sounds pretty cool! (Great song btw)
3. That one middle part in King of contradiction sounds a bit like the intro of Sabbath's children of the grave. Was that intentional or is it just a coincidence?
4. Are you ever gonna do that thing again where you just randomly call your fans?

Keep it up! No matter what bands I listen to, the sums will always be number 1 for me.
Mr. Biz
Re:

Post by Mr. Biz »

Ardi41 wrote:Hi there Deryck! Great to have you back on TNS!
Some rather mundane questions :

1. "Definitely Maybe" or "Whats the story" ?
2. Did you pull off that scream in pull the curtain yourself ? cause it sounds pretty cool! (Great song btw)
3. That one middle part in King of contradiction sounds a bit like the intro of Sabbath's children of the grave. Was that intentional or is it just a coincidence?
4. Are you ever gonna do that thing again where you just randomly call your fans?

Keep it up! No matter what bands I listen to, the sums will always be number 1 for me.

1. "Definitely Maybe" or "Whats the story" ? I LIKE BOTH BUT I'LL GO WITH DEF MAYBE
2. Did you pull off that scream in pull the curtain yourself ? cause it sounds pretty cool! (Great song btw) THANK YOU. I ALWAYS ENJOYED IT. I DID DO THAT SCREAM. I LIKE HOW IT TURNED OUT TOO. I DON'T NORMALLY SCREAM LIKE THAT BUT IT SEEMED TO WORK THERE.

3. That one middle part in King of contradiction sounds a bit like the intro of Sabbath's children of the grave. Was that intentional or is it just a coincidence? NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN SO IT HAD TO BE COINCIDENCE.

4. Are you ever gonna do that thing again where you just randomly call your fans? MAYBE. I JUST DON'T HAVE THE TIME LIKE I DID THEN.

Keep it up! No matter what bands I listen to, the sums will always be number 1 for me.[/quote]
maistoner41
First name: Maitane
Instrument 2: Voice
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: maistoner27

Post by maistoner41 »

Mr. Biz wrote:
maistoner41 wrote:Happy new year and Xmas Deryck! Is so nice to hear you're doin' ok, you have plans and everything for this year. I was really worry about you so that's a really good new!

I have to say your music has helped me a lot recently. I've lost an important person in my life and I also have health problems. When I listen to all your discography I always feel better and I forget all my problems, so I have to say thank you, thanks for your music, Bizzy!

We miss you in Spain, if you come here I will go wherever city you go. We are waiting for you here.

Lot of kisses Deryck, and keep on like that!

i'm sorry to hear about these things. having health problems and also losing people are both things that i can relate to very well. i'm glad that songs that i have written can mean so much to you. thank you very much. i love knowing that what i'm doing has purpose for someone else. i will continue to do my best to write more songs that hopefully speak to you and many others as well.
Thank you so much Bizzy, your words made my day. I am so sorry to hear that thing, but I am happy you are feeling so fine, for me it's the most important thing right now. Your music has helped me all my life, I am usually in depression and when I listen to your music I forget what's around me and I feel alive. I follow you since I was 9 (I am 20 now) and I've always had problems with people, health problems, etc...and there were you. Pieces has been a part of my life. I am sorry to write all this, but I wanted to say thank you for being as you are.
Hope someday I can say thanks to you in person :)
I am following closely your new stuff, I really can't wait! hahaha
Take care Deryck, and thank you so much for your answer :)
We won't be bought and sold, just like you!
I'm a walking disaster.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

Everybody! I've been MIA for a while, but just read through the thread and these are great posts, questions and answers!

Hey D, crashed any more model airplanes lately? haha I love that Corsair one you showed off
victo41
First name: Victorien
Instrument 2: Voice
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: victodef

Support & greetings !

Post by victo41 »

Hi Deryck !

First, I wish you the best (from France!) for this new year: the better for the health, for you and your family and friends, to succeed what you want...

This is really important for me because you're the guy I always followed during my childhood and even still now. Each song of Sum 41 are a moment in my life, I spent many days and many nights to watch your videos like road to ruin, Does This Look Infected Bonus, video of your songs, the awesome live from Tokyo... and all the "bullshit" or "whorehouse" (I don't really how to say that) you made with the band. With my different bands (i'm guitarist and singer like you), it was an obligation to play some Sum 41's song, whatever what my friends said. Many time, during problems in my life, I asked myself "What Deryck would do now ?" ahahah.

I don't think you remember this concert, because you played a lot, but last time I saw you was at "Le cirque d'Amiens" in France in the city of Amiens. It was one of the best moment of my life. I still have a pick in a picture frame haha.

I really hope I will see you again, in France or anywhere else.

Otherwise, do you have big challenges for 2015 ? Songs or other personal aims. How are How are Jason (the new dad), Steve, Tom or Dave ?

Thanks very much if you read my post, this is an honor. Take Care !

A french fan !
dirk
Bunkface
First name: dirk

Post by dirk »

Hello Mr. Biz.

Do we have a new sum 41 album in 3 years? Would be great.

Thanks for making the best music.
Mr. Biz
Re:

Post by Mr. Biz »

Heather wrote:Everybody! I've been MIA for a while, but just read through the thread and these are great posts, questions and answers!

Hey D, crashed any more model airplanes lately? haha I love that Corsair one you showed off

haha no i haven't but that reminds me that i should go out and fly. i have a huge one that i've never flown. it's called a texan. it's badass.
Ferdehh41
Ma Poubelle
First name: Ferdi

Post by Ferdehh41 »

Do you still have contact with Stevo? And is there a chance to have the new Sum 41 album coming out this year?