Sum 41 Cancel All Kerrang! Tour Shows

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Re: Sum 41 Cancel All Kerrang! Tour Shows

Post by SumGeek »

I have to say I was a bit surprised when I saw they had to drop off the tour, only because this is 2 weeks from the begining of the tour. It's a shame but Deryck's heath comes first and for most.

I just really hope they don't have to keep cancelling shows! I thought 2012 would be a good year for The Sums.
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Sooo many people are upset about this, but everyone seems to be pretty understanding which is awesome. Sum 41 was trending on twitter over here for awhile too which was kinda cool. If you read the comments on Kerrangs site literally like 95% of the people were saying how it wasn't worth going since the sums wouldn't be there. Its a lot more attention then I thought they'd receive for something like this.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Resident Skumfuk wrote:If you read the comments on Kerrangs site literally like 95% of the people were saying how it wasn't worth going since the sums wouldn't be there. Its a lot more attention then I thought they'd receive for something like this.
Majority of people are saying how can The Blackout replace The Sums? I know a lot of people are either trying to sell their tickets or get refunds.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Oh man, that sucks. I mean, I'm not affected by this at all, but it's still a bummer to hear Deryck's back is preventing him from playing shows.

I wonder what would happen if he still played, but instead played the entire set while sitting in a chair. It wouldn't be much of a "performance," but the songs would be the same and I'm sure fans would appreciate the effort. In the end though, I don't want Deryck to end up paralyzed and if even do that is a risk then it's not worth it.
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

Well, i want D to take as much time as he needs to recover his back, so..7 months? so be it :2cool4u:

And hey- maybe this means sum 41 will make it to the grammys
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

cladam41 wrote:And hey- maybe this means sum 41 will make it to the grammys
This is a good point, I see no reason why they should not attend. He's gonna be 32 this year, D is becoming a decrepit monkey skeleton of a rockstar already.

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

at this rate, the band should just start writing/recording a new album. if they can't tour, they might as well write.
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction

kevin5064 wrote:at this rate, the band should just start writing/recording a new album. if they can't tour, they might as well write.
......or go on hiatus :suicide:
Last edited by MetalMilitant41 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

anyone know the status on the Gob album? sorry i don't come on here often
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction

kevin5064 wrote:anyone know the status on the Gob album? sorry i don't come on here often

Check the Gob thread in other music :silly:
Last edited by MetalMilitant41 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drankolz
First name: Andreas

Post by Drankolz »

As much as I want Deryck to get well again and to be healthy, I can´t avoid beeing fucking pissed. I have plane tickets and concert tickets aswell.

It´s not like the problems with his disk are new and he has enough money to afford a doctor that can tell him the time he needs to recover. I can´t understand why they took the risk of announcing a tour if they were not sure they could even play it. Its a lose - lose.

Anyways, I hope Deryck gets well finally because I surely do not want him to be in a wheelchair just to be able to see them next month, maybe we can enjoy a fall tour or something.
peacock41
Hooch
First name: Ryan

Post by peacock41 »

you think the doctor woulda told him before so close to the gig or he would know himsefl that he was not fit for the tour ... i will be pissed .. if during the time of thr tour we get vids of him out partying .... fuck me by the next time they come over he will have probs wrote another album ahaha
stevo32
Billy Spleen
First name: Alessio

Post by stevo32 »

The question now is : if he can't play now and the back injury was in August, when he wiil be able to go on stage and rock.
There are other dates scheduled for this year, will he be ok in April ? It's really a shitty situation.
I'm my worst enemy
Hideo_Kuze
Billy Spleen

Post by Hideo_Kuze »

cancelled shows in Europe last year, then Australia, US (warped tour), South America and now UK and perhaps soon Asia and I also probably forgot some

this is not looking good
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Back problems are serious and hard to deal with because they are almost always a recurrent issue and can have permanent implications if theyre not taken care of. I wonder why he hasnt gotten surgery or something to fix whatever issue he has. i really hope they don't go on hiatus and it'd be amazing if they used the time to write new material, though i highly doubt that.
Last edited by Resident Skumfuk on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

I hope Deryck gets better. Its a shame they had to cancel.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

I don't even have words to describe how pissed off I am. I had tickets for both dates, but that's pretty much secondary. Deryck is 31 and he's been cancelling what is essentially his only source of decent income and putting his professional reputation at risk for the better part of five years now because of a health problem he has. He's young and a millionaire, with access to probably some of the best doctors in the world, and he can't get the problem fixed. Yet any time he's seen in public he's partying or going to night clubs. My dad is fifty fucking five and he has to get a part of his spine removed next month. Don't get me wrong, I know how horrible back problems can be. And my dad can be up and moving one day and then he can't get out of bed for a week right after that. However, he isn't a millionaire and doesn't have access to private medical care yet he's still getting it sorted.

I'm not calling bullshit on Deryck - I really do believe his back is fucked up. But for fuck sake, get it fixed for everyone's sake.

Pissed off Sum 41 fan
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

This all probably goes back to him playing the Japan shows right after being attacked, when he probably shouldn't have. He pushed himself to finish tour dates when it was probably best for him not to. He is currently doing yoga and other therapy exercises which have helped the situation. After the injury at Warped Tour he could hardly walk, seriously. And going out with his girlfriend is different from touring for 2 weeks straight. I'm guessing he hasn't had surgery because that would really push dates back.

As far as just now cancelling...they cancelled the last tour in September even closer to the dates. And frankly thats up to management to notify the sponsors and undoubtedly notify Deryck to do an interview for Kerrang!

I hate that so many already bought tickets. I'll try to get him to do an the interview again or something.
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

maybe he just didn't like the idea of co-headlining with another band lol
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction

kevin5064 wrote:maybe he just didn't like the idea of co-headlining with another band lol
Haha, I don't think that's it. But maybe due to the fact that it is a twin headlining tour, the shows would've been more energetic than just a Sums show. Kind of like a competition between NFG and Sum 41. This is what I've noticed when a tour is promoted with two headliners like this one. Maybe the idea of having such energetic shows put them off this tour, not saying they wouldn't be as good at other shows, but I've noticed bands in situations like this try to upstage each other and pull more risks. Maybe the doctors were worried about that and wanted him to skip and have more time to recover. Or much more likely is that he's just not healed yet.