Cone McCaslin Q&A

Dr. Rocco and Dr. Dynamite: Cone's side project.

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Cone McCaslin Q&A

Post by Heather »

Credit: Fansite Connection

- What were some of the lyrical and musical inspirations for the Birds + Bee Stings?

There's songs about religion, songs about divorce, songs about drugs, songs about what was going on with us at the time.

- How has your involvement with singing grown for the Birds + Bee Stings?

I think I just took more time on trying to sing better and I just got a little more confident singing a lead part on this one. Todd and I have different voices so we just picked the parts we thought we both should sing.

- How did the involvement of Ian D'Sa and Deryck Whibley impact the making of the Birds + Bee Stings?

I respect everything both have done. Ian and Deryck are both great song writers. Ian's a really good friend and he wanted to produce Buried and he added some really cool things to it guitar wise, arrangement wise and harmony wise. Deryck is obviously also a good friend and is also a great mixer along with everything else he does. I showed him 3 songs and he picked Sick + Twisted. It nice to have an outside perspective on things and from 2 guys that write really good songs.

- What led you to choose "Buried at Sea" as the lead single?

We just felt it was the catchiest song and it represented the way the rest of the album sounds.

- Any news on the music video for "Buried at Sea" will Steve still be directing?

Nothing yet. We have been talking to Steve about doing something but there's really nothing in the works unfortuntley.

- What would be the most meaningful songs for you on this album?

I can't speak for Todd but for me Lock Box and Birds Bee Stings are subjects I feel strongly about and My Own Catastrophe is a song I wrote that is a pretty personally song.

- Birds + Bee Stings is set to be released on OpMd's label, Mouth To Mouth Music, could you tell us a bit about how this label was formed?

Nothing really to it. We just wanted to release it ourselves so we made up the name Mouth To Mouth Music to release it on.

- Deryck talked about a song you had written in one of the studio updates. Was it a song you wrote while recording Birds + Bee Stings? And will it be on the new Sum41 album?

I think the song he was talking about was a song I had sent him a long time ago and we were going to release it on the Sum 41 EP. Then that EP turned into an album and we did re-record it but I don't think it is going to be on the new Sum album. It is recorded and finished though. So who knows it might be released one day for something.
Last edited by Heather on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Re: Cone McCaslin Q&A

Post by samueeL »

Great interview! Thanks a lot Heather! Ah, can't wait for the album. Tho I'm not sure how I can get it, I don't think it's on finnish online music stores.. :/

Just listened previews from itunes, 'My Own Catastrophe' sounds REALLY good.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

goo interview ! thanks ...and the song about divorce does not mean any problems in Cone's relationship,right ?
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

fenderrocks wrote:- Deryck talked about a song you had written in one of the studio updates. Was it a song you wrote while recording Birds + Bee Stings? And will it be on the new Sum41 album?

I think the song he was talking about was a song I had sent him a long time ago and we were going to release it on the Sum 41 EP. Then that EP turned into an album and we did re-record it but I don't think it is going to be on the new Sum album. It is recorded and finished though. So who knows it might be released one day for something.
Whoa! They finally got it done! Hopefully it will get released some day (*cough* early 2008 *cough*). :silly:
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Great interview, I like the made up label idea. This is the way music will hopefully go - just the artist and the music. No worries about publishing, distribution or commercial marketing..
I will definitely buy this.
Last edited by Simon on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Great interview, Heather! I wonder if the song Cone is talking about is actually that old lost b-side that he wrote and sang on, that it took Deryck forever to mix, or he's talking about a new song he actually wrote during the new Sum 41 album sessions, cuz Deryck talked about one song Cone wrote and one song Tom wrote, for the new album.. so I bet Cone is talking about this new song he wrote for the new album, and not that old b-side that was supposed to be released in early 2008, though if it is.. its awesome, cuz we were waiting for so long and they even re-recorded it for the new album, and its mixed and all.. I don't see a reason not to release it as a b-side this time around..
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Hentaiman wrote:Great interview, Heather! I wonder if the song Cone is talking about is actually that old lost b-side that he wrote and sang on, that it took Deryck forever to mix, or he's talking about a new song he actually wrote during the new Sum 41 album sessions, cuz Deryck talked about one song Cone wrote and one song Tom wrote, for the new album.. so I bet Cone is talking about this new song he wrote for the new album, and not that old b-side that was supposed to be released in early 2008, though if it is.. its awesome, cuz we were waiting for so long and they even re-recorded it for the new album, and its mixed and all.. I don't see a reason not to release it as a b-side this time around..
You write so much just to say a little. :silly:
fenderrocks wrote:- Deryck talked about a song you had written in one of the studio updates. Was it a song you wrote while recording Birds + Bee Stings? And will it be on the new Sum41 album?

I think that says it clearly. If he was talking about a new song, he probably wouldn't have sent it to Deryck "long time ago".
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

TomiT14 wrote:I think that says it clearly. If he was talking about a new song, he probably wouldn't have sent it to Deryck "long time ago".
I agree, the song got pushed back and back again until the EP deal was decided. Deryck also talked about it in one of the updates.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...