Cone Chat Recap

Dr. Rocco and Dr. Dynamite: Cone's side project.

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Cone Chat Recap

Post by Heather »

FC's Chat Recap: January 7th, 2010 - Cone McCaslin - Sum41

Cone McCaslin: hello
Cone McCaslin: how are things?

Heather: pretty good, yourself?
Cone McCaslin: good just woke up
Heather: lol, well you guys ready to get started so we have time for free chat
Cone McCaslin: sure lets go. let me have it!
Heather: First thanks for signing up for the chat and supporting Cone! We have about 30 min to chat so let's try to keep it organized.....
Heather: I will start with a few topic questions about the OpMd then Sum41. If there is time remaining I will announce the "free chat" and you guys can ask your questions......
Heather: I'm going to let Cone make an intro now and then we can get started.
Cone McCaslin: Intro? ok. hi.
Cone McCaslin: haha. lets get started

-- Operation MD --

Heather: LOL, ok...Operation MD Questions: What was the inspiration behind the making of this album?
Cone McCaslin: After the Underclass Hero tour ended we had some time again to make another album. Both Todd and I had been writing songs since the release of our last OpMD album so we had over 20 songs. Really with this band we just try and do it as much as time permits. There's no schedule, its just "lets do it while we have the time".
Heather: Musically how does this album differ from We Have An Emergency?
Cone McCaslin: The sound is pretty much the same. Same kind of guitar sounds and vocal sounds. The album sounds a little better I'd say. Song wise we had so many that we got to choose which ones we wanted and make more of a cohesive album. Rather than the last one we didn't have too many other songs to choose from and we just kind of threw that album together. This one we did it more "right".
Heather: How is it different singing lead, when you're use to singing backup for Sum41?
Cone McCaslin: I guess a lot. I have yet to play too many shows with OpMD (2 shows) and both I didn't really sing lead that much. But I think its more of a confidence things and a rehearsal thing to make sure you are ready for it. You give new respect for lead singers when you've been playing bass all these years and then you start to sing lead here and there. Its different for sure. I like it though. I like it the way we are doing it where I just sing lead a little bit and I think it gives a really good dynamic to the band too.
Heather: What ideas do you have for the first music video? Will Steve be directing again?
Cone McCaslin: Ya we have submitted a song called "Buried At Sea" which was produced by Ian D'sa from Billy Talent. Steve wrote a treatment for it and we submitted it for videofact grant in Canada. We should find out in the next few weeks if we get the video.
Heather: What are your touring plans for this album?
Cone McCaslin: Well, we want to tour in this band or at the very least play some shows here and there, its just a matter of timing. Thats why this album hans't come out yet because as soon as it was finished I started getting busy with Sum 41 again and Todd went on tour with Offspring. We don't want to put out an album and not be able to promote it. We are waiting for that window. It will have to come out in the next 6 months though.

-- Sum 41 --

Heather: Ok, now we're going to move to Sum41 so everyone has time to ask their questions in free chat
Cone McCaslin: sounds good
Heather: We've heard D describe the new sound, what are your thoughts on it?
Cone McCaslin: I would say the new album is very intense. Its really hard and heavy at times and very very soft at times. I know we say this every album and most of time its true but this new album is really like nothing we've ever done. The best way to look at it is the whole album is in the same vein as "We're All To Blame". The way that song is all over the place. Soft, hard, heavy, soft ect. Nothing sounds like that song but thats the idea I guess. The album goes in new directions all the time. Thats the best way I can describe it.
Heather: What kind of bass lines can we expect on the new album?
Cone McCaslin: I have been working with our producer Gil Norton on bass stuff and also working on bass stuff at home. There's some cool stuff. Gil is also a bass player so its been a good experience. Some stuff I play on this album is very basic and some stuff goes off a little bit. The main focus was just to help the song and serve the song and not do crazy bass parts just to serve my ego. Thats big enough already!

Heather: How has making this album differed from making Underclass Hero?
Cone McCaslin: I think its good having an outside ear in the studio. Deryck will even tell you he didn't want to produce Underclass but we just couldn't find anyone on the last album that we wanted and was available. Underclass was fun to make and I'm sure this one will be fun too. Having Tom around on this one helps too as he can play a second guitar part in practice and hes also a song writer and front man and has made many records. ON the last one it was just the 3 of us so we were missing that fullness in practice.

-- Free Chat --

Heather: Ok, since Cone is short on time I'm going to let you guys ask questions now, be patient and respectful to Cone and each other please.
samueeL: At first you guys started writing EP. Any of those EP songs gonna be on the album?
Cone McCaslin: Ya. Most of those songs will be on it. Maybe 1 or 2 won't. "Always" was going to be on the EP but now its not on the album cause we just released on the Best of.
Katrina: How has the dynamics change over the past ten years in Sum 41?
Cone McCaslin: Well ten years ago we were 20. Kids. Had no responsibilities. Still lived at home. That kind of thing. I guess we somewhat all have responsibilities now. Some u married. Don't live at home anymore. Things change and I think we are more comfortable now and we all respect each other as musicians and we respect each others personal lives and support each others other ventures.
Sum41rockmysocks: In the "In Too Deep" video is the old guy who opens his mouth the guy who plays Kelso on scrubs? cause they really look the same
Cone McCaslin: I'm not really sure where that guys from. haha. Maybe he is.
TomiT14: Besides the song you wrote and sang for Sum 41, are there any other songs from the past years that haven't been released?
Cone McCaslin: There was a b-side on the last album I wrote that hasn't been released yet. Its a fast song that I sung too.
dezik41: Hey Cone. I have seen Warped Tour dates so i want to ask you if is it all or you will have shows in Europe? thanks!
Cone McCaslin: We just announced 2 festivals in Belguim in April. We are trying to fill April and May with European dates and Festivals before we start Warped. Expect more Euro/UK dates soon.
peneddy: hey Cone, what's your favorite Sum 41 album?
Cone McCaslin: The album I can listen to front to back is Infected
TomiT14: Is the forgotten song going to be released sometime in the future, or is it doomed to be forgotten?
Cone McCaslin: I think we'll find something for that song even if its just a free download on myspace or something.
Katrina: Have you give anymore thought on producing?
Cone McCaslin: Ya I am actually starting an album right now. I'm in pre-production with a band from Windsor called "Credible Witness". They are young and we'll do the album when I'm back from LA recording.
samueeL: When do you think we're able to hear new stuff?
Cone McCaslin: New stuff? Probably by April or May. We'll play a song or 2 new at Festivals
TomiT14: Any working titles for songs on the new album you dare to share?
Cone McCaslin: No working titles really. Nothing interesting.
Katrina: Who are you listening to a lot these days?
Cone McCaslin: Elliot Smith, TV on The Radio, The Replacements.
Cone McCaslin: Neil Diamond a lot too.

samueeL: Can you reveal something about mysterious title "Jessica Kill"?
Cone McCaslin: That is 1 title yes. Its a title Deryck came up with. Not sure the meaning. Thats a good point. I will ask him about that title. Thats a great song though.
dezik41: cool to see that you're helping young bands. They're asking you or you like their music so you are asking them?
Cone McCaslin: They asked me to write with them, then they asked me produce some songs. I am doing 3 for there album. Thats where I'm going right now. Pre-production in the studio with them.
TomiT14: Open Your Eyes is a Chuck song that has gained some attention lately. Is there a reason why it was never played live?
Cone McCaslin: Not really sure. I like that song. Just never came up to play. We probably should have though.
TomiT14: When Sum 41 start to tour, will the setlist have any old songs you haven't played a lot last time around?
Cone McCaslin: We haven't at all talked about what we will play. We will always play old songs. What songs would you guys want to hear?
Katrina: Would you guys ever work with Greig Nori again?
Cone McCaslin: Most likely not. That business relationship is dead. Never know where life takes you but I'd say probably not.
TomiT14: The Jester, Count Your Last Blessings, Thanks Fo Nothing and No Brains / No Reason have been songs that fans are missing :)
Cone McCaslin: We No Brains last album and Count Your Last blessings at bit and same as the Jester. I'd love to play No Reason again. I'd vote for that.
samueeL: Any plans on releasing new live dvd?
Cone McCaslin: Possibly after this album. That stuff comes up during a tour
peneddy: dou you have any plans for touring in mexico?
Cone McCaslin: South America and Mexico is something we want to do on this album.
TomiT14: And what happened to the infamous Cleveland show in 2007 that was going to be released on DVD?
Cone McCaslin: Shit. Not sure about that Cleveland show. I thought House Of Blues was going to do something with that.
Cone McCaslin: We will be in Europe a lot more too.

Katrina: Will you guys be do another making of the new album?
Cone McCaslin: Ok friends. I have to go. Thanks for chatting. Lets do it again! We will see you soon.
Cone McCaslin: Not sure about a making of
Cone McCaslin: bye!
Last edited by Heather on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dezik41
First name: Patrik

Re: Cone Chat Recap

Post by dezik41 »

he is my herO! :holyshit:
hello..
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

dezik41 wrote:he is my herO! :holyshit:
You will be mine if you reduce the size of your sig.
Tyler41
Walking Disaster
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by Tyler41 »

fuck i forgot all about it D=
All that I need is time for me to breathe. Dream little dreams that only I believe. Now that I see beyond the light, I'm gonna be, I'll be alright.
patenttiftw
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Post by patenttiftw »

i was there though you can't see it from there, lawlz
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

the Sum 41 bit was a good read, the new album sounds like it could have some interesting songs.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Seems quite short for 30 minutes but it was still pretty nice to read!
[donate][/donate]
sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Post by sumfan4 »

I was in school, so I didn't go.

cool that "Jessica Kill" will be a song title.

next one to chat with is Stevo!

....btw are we supposed to call him Stevo anymore, or does he like Steve now?

I like Stevo
ANNIKA
First name: anniqua
Instrument 1: guitar
Instrument 3: guitar

Post by ANNIKA »

god dammit i forgot
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

sumfan4 wrote:next one to chat with is Stevo!
Actually, it's Tom. No word on when though. Probably February-March.
upperclasszero
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Jake
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by upperclasszero »

i <3 cone =]
Children of the beast embrace,
To scorn and the human race,
Consume the light that hugs the earth,
And aid the womb in giving birth,
To a group that will appear,
And guide you through this final year,
The dark armies then will come,
When the sum is 41

WillySpleen is my n00b
Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

That was a pretty good read!
Shame I couldn't take part of it but this actually makes me pretty excited about the new album!

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
Heather

Post by Heather »

sorry guys, some idiot ran over the box down the road and our internet, tv and phones have been out for 5 hours

@Patentti - I think I got one of your questions in. I didn't copy the ENTIRE chat, just Qs and As

@sumfan4 - Tomi is right, Tom is the next chat, but we haven't discussed details yet

sorry for those who missed it. For future note, I always have a chat countdown reminder on FC's twitter

glad you guys liked the read!
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by Hentaiman »

Damn, I had to go out at the time of the chat so couldn't make it. Read the recap, sounds like it was good, but pretty short. Still no much info about the release of the OpMD album I see, except that its gonna be out in the next 6 months... not comforting really haha since they are working on that album since mid 2008, and they were finished recording last April, and finished mixing & mastering in August, so... its been a while already. They could promote it and stuff around September-October before Sum went into pre-production and all...
The new Sum 41 album sounds good though! Can't wait to hear a new song around April!
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Nice recap! I wouldn't expect the new Sum 41 album to be without its slow songs, but I hope the heavier ones out-number them for this album. Hopefully I can be around (like, awake) for the Tom chat.
Aaron
Underclass Hero
First name: Aaron
360 Gamer Tag: xRG West
Instrument 1: Trumpet
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Aaron »

dang, we were supposed to have school today but it ended up being a snow day so i didnt rsvp or whatever. cool though.
"Nice Guys Finish Last" -Leo Durocher
My masters are Still Waiting and Madjid
My Brothers and Sisters are Jake, Sara, and Heather.
My Noobs are Sum41Ant27 turtlehobopirate. My Grand-Noob is GutterDreams.
We have a messed up family :)
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

I wanted to ask him about the Greig Nori situation, but after seeing his response to the first question about him, ("Most likely not. That business relationship is dead.") I realized that wasn't a topic he would happily talk about.
Heather

Post by Heather »

Da_Aman wrote:dang, we were supposed to have school today but it ended up being a snow day so i didnt rsvp or whatever. cool though.
I'm sorry, I probably could have sent you an invite during the chat...if you guys need to get in during the next chat, just sent FC an email and I'll try to get invites out when I can.

The only reason we do the invites is so the room doesn't get flooded and we have some security
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Nice wuestions asked.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

So nobody asked what happened between the band and Nori? C'mon!