Prop 19 Failed

Talk about what's happening now. Talk politics. Talk about whatever is going on in this world.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Re: Prop 19 Failed

Post by Dylan »

the only reason that tobacco and alcohol are legal is because the have been for the last century. there were no scientific studies back then about the effects of these drugs. we all know now smoking can cause lung cancer and alcohol is the most widely abused drug, and weed (according to people who generalize) has "no effect on the body long-term", but we can't just make tobacco and alcohol illegal, we monitor who is buying and restrict the age limit, among other things. i guess that if governments were to do the same thing with weed, we'd have a shit load of "brands" and different companies like we do tobacco. it would put more money in the hand of governments, and these are the only people that will benefit from this. the money that is apparently gained from weed sales will be abused and corruption will still exist. in the end, nothing has changed, under age people will still get high and we'll have "smoking and driving" accidents as we do "drinking and driving" accidents. in the end, it does mean more money, but with people in power positions getting ahold of this money being greedy fucks, does it really help anything?

also, old people are afraid of change. in 15-20 years, the demographic will change and i predict weed will be legalized most places.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Aaron
Underclass Hero
First name: Aaron
360 Gamer Tag: xRG West
Instrument 1: Trumpet
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Aaron »

2712 wrote:the only reason that tobacco and alcohol are legal is because the have been for the last century. there were no scientific studies back then about the effects of these drugs. we all know now smoking can cause lung cancer and alcohol is the most widely abused drug, and weed (according to people who generalize) has "no effect on the body long-term", but we can't just make tobacco and alcohol illegal, we monitor who is buying and restrict the age limit, among other things. i guess that if governments were to do the same thing with weed, we'd have a shit load of "brands" and different companies like we do tobacco. it would put more money in the hand of governments, and these are the only people that will benefit from this. the money that is apparently gained from weed sales will be abused and corruption will still exist. in the end, nothing has changed, under age people will still get high and we'll have "smoking and driving" accidents as we do "drinking and driving" accidents. in the end, it does mean more money, but with people in power positions getting ahold of this money being greedy fucks, does it really help anything?

also, old people are afraid of change. in 15-20 years, the demographic will change and i predict weed will be legalized most places.
This. Exactly this.
"Nice Guys Finish Last" -Leo Durocher
My masters are Still Waiting and Madjid
My Brothers and Sisters are Jake, Sara, and Heather.
My Noobs are Sum41Ant27 turtlehobopirate. My Grand-Noob is GutterDreams.
We have a messed up family :)
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

problem is that tobaco and alcohol have been socially accepted for centuries, same will happen with maria, i don't smoke but if they make it legal at least people would be sure that they're not smoking some crap, but pure weed

sometimes governments are so stupid,
Last edited by Druska on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Wasn't Obama gonna veto it if it passed anyway?
Childish Gambino
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jordan

Post by Childish Gambino »

Emil wrote:Wasn't Obama gonna veto it if it passed anyway?
He has no control over that, it was a California law, not a national law.
Silent in the trees.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

My Life For Hire wrote:
Emil wrote:Wasn't Obama gonna veto it if it passed anyway?
He has no control over that, it was a California law, not a national law.
Oh i see. Can a state pass any law they want as long as it's not against the constitution?
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

governments make too much money off taxing tobacco & alcohol for them to make it illegal. that loss of money would have to come from somewhere else.