Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

TBD vs Catching Fire

Post by sprinks41 »

It seems like once OID dropped, the forum got active and now it's quiet again. So I thought I'd get a conversation started based on something I've been thinking about lately.

In my opinion, Sum 41 has always been great with knowing how to end an album. When I first listened to 13 Voices and heard Twisted By Design, I was blown away. It was jam-packed with so much emotion, I immediately fell in love with it and thought it was the best album closer the band had ever made. Now with OID, Catching Fire is right up there with Twisted. I'm having trouble picking the one I think is the better closer because they're both downright amazing.

Thoughts?
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: TBD vs Catching Fire

Post by TomiT14 »

sprinks41 wrote:It seems like once OID dropped, the forum got active and now it's quiet again. So I thought I'd get a conversation started based on something I've been thinking about lately.

In my opinion, Sum 41 has always been great with knowing how to end an album. When I first listened to 13 Voices and heard Twisted By Design, I was blown away. It was jam-packed with so much emotion, I immediately fell in love with it and thought it was the best album closer the band had ever made. Now with OID, Catching Fire is right up there with Twisted. I'm having trouble picking the one I think is the better closer because they're both downright amazing.

Thoughts?
Guilty, been way too lazy to give any input here lately. :sosad:

Comparing the songs, I prefer Catching Fire. The message and the lyrics go straight to my feels. One of the most emotional Sum-songs for me, the only song that can compare with Crash.

But Twisted By Design is definitely the best album closer they've had. The powerful up-and-down journey throughout the song, and the message to say that Deryck has won his battle is definitely something that left me feeling uplifted and glad.
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

TomiT14 wrote:the only song that can compare with Crash
Wow, never thought of it like that. Very good and interesting point.
TomiT14 wrote: But Twisted By Design is definitely the best album closer they've had. The powerful up-and-down journey throughout the song, and the message to say that Deryck has won his battle is definitely something that left me feeling uplifted and glad.
I feel exactly the same. I especially love the outro because Deryck's lyrical genius is absolutely stunning: "In some ways I've changed and I've left it all behind/But I can't change the way that I'm, I'm twisted by design". It's such a beautiful way of saying "Even though I've made some mistakes in the past and am better now, I still am who I am and I'm ok with that."
dff_punk
Bunkface
Instrument 2: vocals
Last.fm Username: dff_punk
Twitter: dff_punk

Post by dff_punk »

Just like Tomi said. Catching Fire is the better song, but Twisted By Design is the better album closer :)