Post by HugoDisasters »

Great interview :2cool4u:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Re: Deryck Whibley on Sum 41’s Evolution & Revisiting 'Does

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I wouldn't call it a "great" interview…
I mean, Deryck has an attitude that I can't get behind it, it's like an "I don't give a shit" vibe and doesn't show his passion at all… and although I'm really excited about the new album, this "whatever, something's gonna happen, I don't know, I don't care" vibe interview didn't pump me up. :suicide:
Also, as an MTV product, it's surprisingly simple and kinda boring show. At least they could have put on some general background music.
jordidanen95
Bunkface
First name: jordi
Instrument 2: piano

Post by jordidanen95 »

I've always had that problem with deryck.
I thought he was so cool when i was a teen but most of his life....he kinda acted like a typical cliche rockstar. With the rock n roll i dont care attitude, the sunglasses indoors and the acting ''mysterious and kinda pretentious at times''. The worst era must have been 2010-2013 and he's been more down to earth after the whole 2014 personal issue stuff.
I just wished he talked differently, more open and more with passion too.
I feel like deryck has always had this brick wall, like you can't put your finger on him. Maybe its a psychological thing and its kinda subconcious but sum-41 has never been that open of a band compared to other modern post-social media 2010s bands
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Re:

Post by sprinks41 »

jordidanen95 wrote:I've always had that problem with deryck.
I thought he was so cool when i was a teen but most of his life....he kinda acted like a typical cliche rockstar. With the rock n roll i dont care attitude, the sunglasses indoors and the acting ''mysterious and kinda pretentious at times''. The worst era must have been 2010-2013 and he's been more down to earth after the whole 2014 personal issue stuff.
I feel like deryck has always had this brick wall, like you can't put your finger on him. Maybe its a psychological thing and its kinda subconcious but sum-41 has never been that open of a band compared to other modern post-social media 2010s bands
I disagree. I don't think the sunglasses look was meant to be mysterious or pretentious. I think it just made him feel comfortable. Also you have to remember, that was during the SBM era so he was probably still dealing with a lot of issues of pain (getting divorced, chronic back problems, drinking/partying too much and not realizing it). And as far as talking and opening up, he's a songwriter and lyricist. He's better at expressing his thoughts and feelings through music than speaking.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: Re:

Post by TomiT14 »

sprinks41 wrote:
jordidanen95 wrote:I've always had that problem with deryck.
I disagree. I don't think the sunglasses look was meant to be mysterious or pretentious. I think it just made him feel comfortable. Also you have to remember, that was during the SBM era so he was probably still dealing with a lot of issues of pain (getting divorced, chronic back problems, drinking/partying too much and not realizing it). And as far as talking and opening up, he's a songwriter and lyricist. He's better at expressing his thoughts and feelings through music than speaking.

What people tend to forget is that Deryck is a shy person. His stage persona is very different from what he is naturally. People might think he's acting arrogant, but that's not the case. As a shy person, he's just not that comfortable in interviews, and that's why he wasn't part of many interviews during the SBM era.

I agree that the SBM era felt like an "I don't care" era, but considering he was going through a divorce and other shit, that's how he probably felt at the time. But if you remember, he didn't care what everyone else thought, except the fans and family/friends. He always cares about the fans, and he's always been passionate about his music, but like Jim said, he's better expressing it on stage than in interviews.

About Sum 41 not being open, the band has different personalities. Dave and Cone (and Stevo back in the day) are more open and talkative, so most often they are the ones doing the interviews. Deryck is the main songwriter though, so he would be the right person to give a comment about their music. In many other bands the front man is not a shy person, so the interviews are different compared to Sums.