So... Steve....

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

kev_apollo
First name: Kevin

So... Steve....

Post by kev_apollo »

Is a realtor....

How do you go from drummer to music video director, to a realtor?!

OK so his profile on the site kinda explains why, but what a career change. I hope he's fine - he did quit all social media for a while but is back.

http://www.paulkaplanrealtor.com/steve-jocz.php
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

Before anyone decides to jump down my throat and attack me, keep in mind this is MY OPINION...

Fuck Steve. Seriously. I give him credit because he's a hell of a drummer and contributed a lot to Sum 41's music, but I could care less about him now.

Deryck wrote "A Murder of Crows (You're All Dead to Me)" about those closest to him who split when things took a turn for the worse. I guarantee Steve was one of them. Months before Deryck even ended up in the hospital from alcoholism, Steve quit the band. I guarantee Deryck doesn't even want to communicate with him anymore. A few months before 13 Voices was released, I asked Deryck if he still had any kind of relationship with Steve. His response: "We don't see each other. We don't live near each other." That was it. Very brief and to the point. That made me believe Steve didn't even bother reaching out when Deryck was in the hospital or during his recovery. They were more than just bandmates and best friends. They were practically brothers. Well one of your "brothers" almost dies because of a bad choice, you don't bail on him. You stick by him and help him get better. Steve did the complete opposite.

So yea, in my opinion, fuck Steve. He's a jerkoff.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Re:

Post by HugoDisasters »

kev_apollo wrote: How do you go from drummer to music video director, to a realtor?!
There is probably more money to earn in the realtor business than the video director, at least to the extent he is capable to being I guess..

sprinks41 wrote:Before anyone decides to jump down my throat and attack me, keep in mind this is MY OPINION...

<storytime part>

I don't think Steve necessarily has to be a bad person (but who knows?) but surely his phase of life and sense of direction misaligned with the rest of the band quite abruptly and maybe similarly to what Dave did when he chose to leave? There must have been a huge difference of timing and how they handled the change from bandmember, to well, what they were after.. I think in general people handle change and cutting contacts very differently and sometimes hurtful, without really meaning to do so but having to because they take control of their own life.

Might be looking into the crystal glass of bullshit but yeah that can be the case too

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re:

Post by TomiT14 »

sprinks41 wrote:Before anyone decides to jump down my throat and attack me, keep in mind this is MY OPINION...

Fuck Steve. Seriously. I give him credit because he's a hell of a drummer and contributed a lot to Sum 41's music, but I could care less about him now.

Deryck wrote "A Murder of Crows (You're All Dead to Me)" about those closest to him who split when things took a turn for the worse. I guarantee Steve was one of them. Months before Deryck even ended up in the hospital from alcoholism, Steve quit the band. I guarantee Deryck doesn't even want to communicate with him anymore. A few months before 13 Voices was released, I asked Deryck if he still had any kind of relationship with Steve. His response: "We don't see each other. We don't live near each other." That was it. Very brief and to the point. That made me believe Steve didn't even bother reaching out when Deryck was in the hospital or during his recovery. They were more than just bandmates and best friends. They were practically brothers. Well one of your "brothers" almost dies because of a bad choice, you don't bail on him. You stick by him and help him get better. Steve did the complete opposite.

You're 100% entitled to your opinion. But like I said last time you posted this, there's always two sides to the story. You've only heard the one side, and you're more than welcome to form your opinions based on that. But I wouldn't make such drastic conclusion after hearing only one side of the story.

I support all the band members, current and former, so I won't take any sides or speculate who was right or wrong. I respect Steve's decision to step aside, since it was the right choice both for him and the band.

That being said, it's odd indeed that they haven't spoken after the 2014 happenings. That doesn't make me hate anyone, just curious about what lead to this. But I guess we'll never know. :happy:

As for his choice of career, we all grow up, and our interests changes over time. I guess being a director and a comedian was fun for a while, but it seems he's really into real eastate business, so why not try that? Based on the reviews all over the Internet, he seems to be really good at it!
sprinks41
Walking Disaster

Re: Re:

Post by sprinks41 »

TomiT14 wrote:You're 100% entitled to your opinion. But like I said last time you posted this, there's always two sides to the story.
Tomi you're absolutely right, there is always 2 sides to a story. I agree 100% with that, especially when it comes to the falling out of a friendship.

Having said that, I must add something else: on Steve's Instagram page, Cone, Dave, and Tom are listed under both Following and Followers. But Deryck's personal TheOfficialDeryckWhibley page and Sum 41's page, neither of them are under Steve's Following or Followers. And I find that extremely interesting.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Re: So... Steve....

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I agree with Tomi compeletely, exactly what I thought. We've never heard Steve's side, we don't know what exactly happened between them. Still it feels harsh that it seems Steve didn't even visit Deryck when he was in hospital... but again, we don't know the whole story, so at this point, it's easy to take Deryck's side and be angry at Steve. I personally respect him and wish him the best; and if they don't feel to share the whole story about their relationship (not yet anyway), then I also don't feel to judge him.

His choice to be a realtor... seems weird and honestly don't know if he really has what it takes. If I just look at this page above, it seems like a joke, just another adventure he wants to take a part of. Can't say I know a lot about this job, but I guess he should learn a lot about architecture, art, it's not just he sold a house and now he's a professional. Also, we don't know his personal life, maybe he's always been into this things and already got the knowledge, so, I wish him the best.
Sju
First name: Zuzana

Post by Sju »

sprinks41 wrote: Having said that, I must add something else: on Steve's Instagram page, Cone, Dave, and Tom are listed under both Following and Followers. But Deryck's personal TheOfficialDeryckWhibley page and Sum 41's page, neither of them are under Steve's Following or Followers. And I find that extremely interesting.
He doesn't follow them anymore.

I was so shocked when I first read he's a realtor now.. it's sounds so surreal. I never would have guessed that he'd be the one to get a regular job outside of the music industry! Whatever happened between him & Deryck, we'll never know.. but I always sensed there was more to it, especially sine Cone and Tom used to hang out with him when they were in LA and Deryck never did.
I remember Deryck saying in an interview (probably from the UH era) that they were like brothers and would be together til the day one of them dies. Well....
kev_apollo

Post by kev_apollo »

I dunno, Cone, Tom and Dave often like and comment on his instagram posts.

Even if Deryck and Steve had a falling out, I wish Deryck didn't write about it in his songs. The "32 way to die my friend" lie was a bit of a kick in the nuts to the fans. As personal as music should be, it just sucks to hear.

Also, I can only imagine the rest of the guys in the band feeling awkward about it if they're still friends.

Unless I'm reading too much into it?
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

The line says 'There's thirty-two ways you can die here tonight
It's a fucking family affair'

To be honest, I think 32 is about Steve and the 'die here tonight' about the break. The line 'family affair' is something Steve may have said to Deryck about his drinking behavoir/problem..

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

kev_apollo wrote:I dunno, Cone, Tom and Dave often like and comment on his instagram posts.

Even if Deryck and Steve had a falling out, I wish Deryck didn't write about it in his songs. The "32 way to die my friend" lie was a bit of a kick in the nuts to the fans. As personal as music should be, it just sucks to hear.

Also, I can only imagine the rest of the guys in the band feeling awkward about it if they're still friends.

Unless I'm reading too much into it?
I had thought about this too. But then again, Deryck has written full "fuck you" songs to other people close to him (King Of Contradiction and No Brains for example), so he could've dedicated one to Stevo if he wanted to. Including only one line about him in a song is acceptable in this case, as the rest of the band are still friends with him, not to mention the fans.
Stef wrote:The line says 'There's thirty-two ways you can die here tonight

To be honest, I think 32 is about Steve and the 'die here tonight' about the break. The line 'family affair' is something Steve may have said to Deryck about his drinking behavoir/problem..
The way I interpret it, he's saying "There were many ways to handle the situation and it could've been fixed, after all we're family".

I could be too optimistic though. :silly:
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I remember reading an article (from a Toronto newspaper maybe) that Steve is nonexistent in Deryck's life since he's no longer in the band. It's strange that Steve didn't visit Derrick when he was hospitalized, or even after, considering that Dave did and as far as I know that was the first time they saw each other in years. So with that in mind I'm led to believe something serious had to have happened for Steve to leave the band and not have contact with Deryck.

It's also weird that while Cone, Dave, and Tom follow Steve on Instagram, he does not follow them back. Aside from a couple of people there are hardly any Sum 41 affiliated accounts that Steve follows.

Is he included in the Murder of Crows? Maybe. There's nothing too explicit, which is strange considering there's entire tracks dedicated to an old singer (No Brains) and manager (King of Contradiction) for past grievances, but only maybe a single line from a song dedicated to Steve?

Well, that's my two cents on it. Speaking of Steve as a realtor now, have you guys seen this yet?
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

Steve and Cone are in contact because Steve did the drumming on the latest OpMD Single.. Or it's been a while that song is in a progress. The whole social media thing is also pretty strange.

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.
kev_apollo

Post by kev_apollo »

Stef wrote:The line says 'There's thirty-two ways you can die here tonight
Ah my bad!
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Bit curious what happened, but i wouldn't look too much into something like social media profiles and who follows who.
Also about the realtor thing and the video - he reminds me a bit of Vince Vaughn with his acting.
CALKing
First name: Cesar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Guitar

Re:

Post by CALKing »

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to "jump down your throat and attack you".

Steve, has been in Sum 41 since the very beginning of Sum 41. He has been in the band longer than Dave, longer than Cone, and of course longer than these new guys... (no offense, I love Frank and have nothing against Tom)

Sum 41 has always had this kind of friend-vibe, like they're only playing because it's fun and they wanna spend time together as friends. They haven't been the kind of band that plays to be famous, or plays to sell. And Steve have contributed to that!. He has been a really big part of that. If you watch their home videos, Steve is usually the most funny, jocosely guy in the band. And I also believe that he must have come with a lot of crazy suggestions to the band; "Let's rob a pizzeria with water guns", or "how about I mix up all the letters on the sign". This might seem irrelevant, but without this strong bond, that Steve heavily contributed to make, Sum 41 wouldn't be what they are today.

So if you care about Sum 41, why wouldn't you care about Steve? Don't you even wanna know why he quit? Because I'm pretty sure we all know it wasn't because he so badly wanted to be a real estate agent.
"I tried to be perfect, but nothing was worth it"
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

My hunch was always that Steve got sick of Deryck's shit when he was drunk and probably unreliable on the last legs of the SBM tour. Things probably escalated, and some really personal things may have been said. They both likely regret what was said/done now, but neither guy seems to be willing to go back and make the first move toward re-connecting. These things become strained even further when someone goes through something as scary as what Deryck did and the other guy doesn't even reach out to lend his support.

I read a comment online from someone who attended the Canadian show(s) with Billy Talent on that tour which the Sums had to pull out of, and the guy said the BT boys flamed Deryck from the stage and basically seemed to blame it on him. Maybe Steve was getting sick of them having to miss out on pay days and cover for Deryck? They did tend to cancel a lot of gigs in that time period.

All of the above is of course just guesswork on my part, and it could just have easily gone down another way. Just seems strange that nobody has spoken about it in the five years since he has left. Makes it seem personal.

I wish both of them the absolute best in whatever they decide to do, and could not be more happy that Deryck has kicked ass and come back from what was a very bleak point in his personal life. He even managed to pick an incredible drummer to replace Steve and buried the hatchet with Dave :-) I saw the Sums two years back during the initial stages of their comeback and they were sensational live. I can only imagine they are even better now. The band is in a really good moment now with Deryck firing on all cylinders creatively, and all the guys seem super happy and settled. It's a shame Steve didn't make it to this point but we can never say never with regard to the future. Frank seems like an ambitious dude with a few projects on the go, so maybe Steve could cover for him some night and re-connect with Deryck in the process.
sprinks41
Walking Disaster

Post by sprinks41 »

CALKing wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to "jump down your throat and attack you".

Steve, has been in Sum 41 since the very beginning of Sum 41. He has been in the band longer than Dave, longer than Cone, and of course longer than these new guys... (no offense, I love Frank and have nothing against Tom)

Sum 41 has always had this kind of friend-vibe, like they're only playing because it's fun and they wanna spend time together as friends. They haven't been the kind of band that plays to be famous, or plays to sell. And Steve have contributed to that!. He has been a really big part of that. If you watch their home videos, Steve is usually the most funny, jocosely guy in the band. And I also believe that he must have come with a lot of crazy suggestions to the band; "Let's rob a pizzeria with water guns", or "how about I mix up all the letters on the sign". This might seem irrelevant, but without this strong bond, that Steve heavily contributed to make, Sum 41 wouldn't be what they are today.

So if you care about Sum 41, why wouldn't you care about Steve? Don't you even wanna know why he quit? Because I'm pretty sure we all know it wasn't because he so badly wanted to be a real estate agent.
My opinion of Steve does not reflect how funny and creative he was off stage. It reflects what I know and speculate based on a fan's point-of-view. Like everyone else, I have no idea what exactly happened between Deryck and Steve. Will we ever find out? Who knows. We all could be very wrong with our guesses.

Just because I care about Sum 41 doesn't mean I have to still care about Steve. Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day is VERY politically outspoken. I disagree 100% with his political views but I still love him as a songwriter and guitarist.

Having said all of that, I noticed your status is "Newbie." Welcome to TNS lol :winkwink:
kev_apollo

Post by kev_apollo »

Welcome apparently, according to one of his instagram replies, this is his new band. Well, it will be, as these appears to be electronic drums.

https://soundcloud.com/hatefortress

Ironically more metal than when Dave quit!
TomiT14

Re:

Post by TomiT14 »

kev_apollo wrote:Welcome apparently, according to one of his instagram replies, this is his new band. Well, it will be, as these appears to be electronic drums.

https://soundcloud.com/hatefortress

Ironically more metal than when Dave quit!
Knowing Stevo and his sense of humor, I wouldn't be too sure about this.

Comments from his Instagram post, where he plays a drum set for kids:
@evancsinclair: Think I just found the new drummer for Hate Fortress
@cris_escaramboni182: Back to Sum 41 @thestevo32
thestevo32: @cris_escaramboni182 no thanks. I'm the drummer for Hate Fortress now @evancsinclair
Caesar Orzell 600
First name: Megan
Twitter: Skumfrick

Post by Caesar Orzell 600 »

Wow, I didn't know that Steve had his own band again! Thanks for sharing that! :D
*insert Sum 41 song lyrics here*