Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

13 Voices: A Year in Review

Post by Noreason757 »

I meant to post this last week but got caught up in some stuff

13 Voices has been out for a Year! Crazy right??

What are everyones thoughts on the album now?
Are you still listening to it or have you gone back to listening to the older albums or have just moved on to other albums?
Has your favorite song changed?

A lot can happen in a year so im curious how opinions on this album may have changed

For me: I still listen to it every once in awhile, my favorite is still twisted by design but also the fall and the rise has really grown on me while there will be blood has fallen to one of my least favorite songs and i usually skip it.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Re: 13 Voices: A Year in Review

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I also listen to it sometimes and I go through the whole album, I really like it. Still feel the producing is not so good, it's just have a weird sound in general and I'm also disappointed in lyrics, but overall it's a great album.

Is there any word about the live DVD? Thought the 1 year anniversary would've been a good time to release it.
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

13 Voices- 1 year later...

Overall I absolutely love the album. I admit it took some time for some of its aspects to grow on me.

As far as the music, here's the best way I can put it: if you were to take Sum 41, Metallica, and Linkin Park, and mix them all together but still have it maintain that edgy punk-rock sound that Sum 41 has always been known for, you basically have 13 Voices.

As far as the lyrics, I get a strong sense of the pain Deryck felt from what he went through. And every time I listen to the album, I hear something in the lyrics I didn't hear before. They are so deep and personal. And I've heard Deryck mention a few times what some of the songs are about, which helps me understand them better and possibly relate them to anything I might be going through in my own life.

My favorite song is definitely Twisted By Design. I don't quite know how to explain it, but I feel like Deryck is talking about me in this song. He said in an interview something along the lines of "it's about who I am as a person. Despite all that I've done and everything I've been through, even though I've learned from my mistakes, I'm still a little messed up. It's just the way I am." That's EXACTLY how I feel about myself- despite learning from some mistakes I've made in the past and becoming a much better person in more ways than one, I still feel I come off to those around me as "I'm not going to change myself just to satisfy you. This is who I am, take it or leave it." And this is captured in the song's bridge: "In some ways I've changed and I've left it all behind. But I can't change the way that I'm twisted by design."
Sju
First name: Zuzana

Post by Sju »

It's crazy how time flies! The memory of listening to 13 Voices for the first time is very special because 1) it was the first time I avoided the leak. Nothing wrong with leaks if u buy the album anyway but it felt right to wait it out after the long break and listen when it's officially out. 2) I was studying abroad in Scotland at the time, counting down the hours and then finally streaming it in my small dingy dorm room as soon as midnight stroke. I gave it 3 or 4 listens, and then I had to get up very early to go on a 3-day Internetless trip. The day after I got back they announced Euro tour so I was over the moon.

I enjoy this album very much but I haven't listened to the whole thing in a while. I did all the time earlier this year before and long after my Don't Call It a Sum-Back show in February. AMOC and BTC stood out but Twisted by Design just blew me away the way few songs have. It's difficut to put it into words but it just makes me feel very happy for Deryck, and optimistic about whatever I might face in life. It's one of their all time best, and one of my favorite songs ever, still makes me emo, and I still listen to it on repeat.
LTS
Underclass Zero
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by LTS »

I think it's their best album since Chuck. It builds upon all the previous releases really well.
One of a Kind of Something
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

The only thing I regret doing is listening to all the songs that were released before the album came out. I believe doing that caused the album to not have as big of an impact on me as Screaming Bloody Murder did when it dropped.

A Murder of Crows, Goddamn I'm Dead Again, Fake My Own Death, 13 Voices and Twisted by Design are still my favourite tracks. It tends to change from day to day depending on my mood, but I would have to say Twisted by Design is my favourite song. 13 Voices is a solid album and was something I had been wanting from the band since after the Chuck era. Blend Screaming Bloody Murder and 13 Voices and you have my perfect Sum 41 album.