Moderator: Jeremy Kill

TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: 13 Voices

Post by TomiT14 »

pescidavid wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:Anyone else thinks that 13 Voices the song is straight out of MCR - The Black Parade? :silly:
I've seen people compare tracks by sum 41 to mcr before and I just never hear it. Except I think there might have been one non album uh era b side that had the melody of the black parade which was why it was probably a b side. But other than that I never hear it
Same for me, there might have been similarities in the past, but they've been quite minor imo. But this song really fits in with that record. Not saying it sounds like a certain song, just the sound is very "Black Paradey" (singing style, guitar sounds, the song structure etc).

And don't get me wrong. The Black Parade is one of my favorite albums. Just a neutral observation. :silly:
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

I hear bits of Holy Image of Lies and Happiness Machines in the track 13 Voices, and even a pinch of Count Your Last Blessings in there too. That track, The Fall & the Rise and Twisted by Design are my favourites from the album at the minute.

I'm a bit disappointed that a lossless download wasn't made available to pledgers but I will be buying the CD anyway so can give it a decent listen then. I can definitely hear the issues others were talking about regarding dynamics and shifting volume levels throughout the album, but unfortunately every disc released these days suffers from the same issues. I'm just trying to enjoy the tracks.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

TomiT14 wrote:Anyone else thinks that 13 Voices the song is straight out of MCR - The Black Parade? :silly:
Yeah, there's definitely been some MCR-esque influences in Deryck's songs even as far back as Underclass Hero. It makes sense since he's mentioned they were the last new band he thought was good in an interview from the Screaming Bloody Murder era. Also, he's buds with Mikey Way. The influence seems more evident in the 13 Voices title track, but still a good song.

I like to sing the verse of Boulevard of Broken Dreams during the riff in Twisted by Design. :silly:
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Faeyaner »

So today I just walked into a store to fetch me a deluxe edition of 13 Voices since my order will still need a week or more to be delivered. Either Hopeless's partner in Europe (Soulfood) is shit or Germans dig it - all the stores here suffer from a massive under-supply.

I just finished my first play-through and I have to admit: wow! I really enjoyed listening to it. I don't say I enjoyed the album, no, that would be to soon. I need to give it at least one or two more plays but I already made some annotations here and there.

Nevertheless, what I wanted to say: I grabbed a good scotch, dimmed my light and sat in front of my crappy monitor speakers - and it was a blast. This experience was a real pleasure!

And regarding to the technics: All tracks were mixed by Tom Lord-Alge and the album was mastered by Ted Jensen, both of them know their shit. They wanted it to sound like this for sure. I can approve however that it sounds flat in places, especially in the chorus of certain songs. Some tracks were compressed unbelievable hard and still the album isn't that loud compared to today's "standards". This is because all the tracks have some headroom which by the way really surprises me.

A question in the end: Are the regular 10-tracks CDs sold in jewel cases? 'Cause all CDs that I saw in store today were in a Digipack, regardless if regular or deluxe edition.
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Re:

Post by SumGeek »

Faeyaner wrote:A question in the end: Are the regular 10-tracks CDs sold in jewel cases? 'Cause all CDs that I saw in store today were in a Digipack, regardless if regular or deluxe edition.
No, at least not where I got my copy from. Both versions were the same package design, no jewel case. But, I think I did notice some people on Instagram with some in cases like that. I'm not 100% on this, though. Do you guys prefer the cases? I don't usually, but only when I start to think about how the corners of the album can easily damage. :(
Sju
First name: Zuzana

Post by Sju »

samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

I member!

(For the south park fans)
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros

Post by Andros »

So the "Radio Radio" (Cover) is good, not amazing, but is good, I was thinking that would be like the rehearsal, but just guitar makes an interesting cover almost "acoustic".
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Faeyaner »

... so there really is an anticipation for '13 Voices' in Germany, it charted at #9 which marks their highest ever peak position - UH went to #10, SBM to #23. (Just to pin it down, Green Day charted at #2, Alter Bridge at #5).

However, the album seems to be remarkably cheap, it's only half of what SBM costed when it was released back in the day.
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

So dunno if anybody has already said this but war's acoustic version is mileeeeeesss better than the actual single version.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Re:

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Druska wrote:So dunno if anybody has already said this but war's acoustic version is mileeeeeesss better than the actual single version.
I totally disagree. Actually, I don't like it at all and as I said before, for me it seems the most unnecessary acoustic song in their career. I don't think it adds anything to the song, rather it takes away. Not different enough from the original one, nothing new and I think it sound better with full electronic guitars.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

we used to have that sum 41/sbm discussion thread where we used to post general stuff about the sums along with things about the album, so I'm just gonna put this here cause this is sorta like the new version of that thread, I guess?

Has anyone seen this yet? It's kinda sad to be honest but I didn't really expect anything else. :hehe:
Sums start at 1:41
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Yeah it's kinda sad they didn't know it... but on the brightside, they seem to enjoy it.
Sju
First name: Zuzana

Re:

Post by Sju »

Ardi41 wrote:
Sums start at 1:41
:hehe: Timing is everything.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros

Post by Andros »

Check this, is almost a perfect instrumental version of the songs:
And he make an interesting background vocals for "War", I really want to him release the full versions and make more for "13 Voices" album or "Screaming Bloody Murder".
DW_60
Hooch
First name: Amin
Instrument 3: Drum
Twitter: aaminolo

Post by DW_60 »

Guys, do you know where can I find the lyrics to the bonus tracks Better Days and Black Eyes ? Can't find them on the internet! :suicide:
Image Image

" Tu es mon petite poubelle. "
Amin #sum41france http://www.facebook.com/Sum41France
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Btw, did anyone notice that A Murder Of Crows lost (You're All Dead To Me) from it's title? Wonder why they decided to drop it.
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... m=referral

The rolling stone interview..
The family, probally matt.
Stevo who is death to Deryck.

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.
jordidanen95
Bunkface
First name: jordi
Instrument 2: piano

Post by jordidanen95 »

Click to view the fullsize image.http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/act ... d519322052[/imgwidth]
Ashasx
Bunkface
First name: Jordan

Post by Ashasx »

that is unfortunate

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i.imgur.com/j66kxPc.png[/imgwidth]