Sum 41 / 13 Voices discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Faeyaner »

Now, that's a bummer... I ordered a vinyl and a digipack deluxe at Germany's possibly largest electronic retailer and the CD still needs 2 weeks to be delivered whereas the vinyl even has no date at all :balling: :confusion:

Still, I wish everybody fun listening to the album over and over again! :2cool4u:
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
Roach41
First name: Fernando

Post by Roach41 »

Does any1 else feel like There will be blood and 13 Voices belong to SBM? Probably part of Dark Road Out of Hell? I even remember reading somewhere that this record would be like the continuation of SBM.
jacobbadillo41
Bunkface
First name: Jacob
Instrument 1: Guitar

Re:

Post by jacobbadillo41 »

Roach41 wrote:Does any1 else feel like There will be blood and 13 Voices belong to SBM? Probably part of Dark Road Out of Hell? I even remember reading somewhere that this record would be like the continuation of SBM.
Yeah, both songs are like SBM album, the sound is like a continuation of SBM and i remember read some about SBM 2.0 but in the end 13 Voices is like a Chuck,DTLI? With a very little of SBM in my opinion
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

Well this album is amazing!! the only disappointment is that it's so short!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWux4lWq6HM

I am really bummed this riff didn't make the album, along with the other one that was talked about before. I'm guessing he didn't have time to finish/record the song to put it on the album, since this was in late march before the tour in china I believe. I hope it makes the next one!

Has anyone heard the radio radio cover yet?
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Re: 13 Voices

Post by Andros »

I think ther'es no "Radio Radio" cover, because if you find the japanese version of the album the only extra track that some sites put is "War" with Taka of One Ok Rock.
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

I just got my copy of 13 Voices in the mail and was reading the album booklet's "Thank You" section. I wanna give an appropriate shout-out to Nic, Heather, Tomi, and Amin! You're all mentioned in that section! BRAVO FOR YOU!!!! THAT'S SO COOL!!!!
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I just realised: it's coincidence, There Will Be Blood is a bit more fast-paced, but so similiar with Green Day's Say Goodbye. :devious:
jacobbadillo41
Bunkface
First name: Jacob

Re:

Post by jacobbadillo41 »

sprinks41 wrote:I just got my copy of 13 Voices in the mail and was reading the album booklet's "Thank You" section. I wanna give an appropriate shout-out to Nic, Heather, Tomi, and Amin! You're all mentioned in that section! BRAVO FOR YOU!!!! THAT'S SO COOL!!!!
Im glad for them,They deserve it. I've been reading their post for a few years and bring good order in the community
pescidavid
First name: David
Instrument 2: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by pescidavid »

I like how some people are like "it's over produced!" or "the mix is awful!" like... I don't think the production can be both too perfect and terribly amateur at the same time haha. Collectively we make no sense. You know what I think about all of this? What I think of the production? What I think of 13 voices?!?
It's good
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re:

Post by Gregorovich »

pescidavid wrote:I like how some people are like "it's over produced!" or "the mix is awful!" like... I don't think the production can be both too perfect and terribly amateur at the same time haha. Collectively we make no sense.
You don't seem to understand how production works. Overproduction is shitty-sounding and amateurish. If you look at a spectrograph/waveform of the music, you can physically see the compression caused by pushing the sounds too loud and mixing them poorly.
fuck this signature nonsense
pescidavid
First name: David
Instrument 3: Piano

Re: Re:

Post by pescidavid »

Gregorovich wrote:
pescidavid wrote:I like how some people are like "it's over produced!" or "the mix is awful!" like... I don't think the production can be both too perfect and terribly amateur at the same time haha. Collectively we make no sense.
You don't seem to understand how production works. Overproduction is shitty-sounding and amateurish. If you look at a spectrograph/waveform of the music, you can physically see the compression caused by pushing the sounds too loud and mixing them poorly.
Overproduction can mean a number of things depending on who you ask. It can mean it sounds too perfect and unnatural, or too effect heavy rather than a simple straight forward rock recording. I would also wager that more often people mean those things rather than just meaning the tracks too squashed or loud when they say "overproduced".

If you feel the compression of the overall track is too much than that would more likely be a mastering fault rather than the actual bands and or "producers". That's not the mixing or recording and more than likely done by a professional mastering company outside of the actual group.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Did you know that part of the "Goddamn I'm Dead Again" solo is like part of the 88 riff solo? And part of the same solo of "Goddamn I'm Dead Again" is like the riff of "Hotel California" from the Eagles? Is a nice combination.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re: Re:

Post by Gregorovich »

pescidavid wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
Overproduction can mean a number of things depending on who you ask. It can mean it sounds too perfect and unnatural, or too effect heavy rather than a simple straight forward rock recording. I would also wager that more often people mean those things rather than just meaning the tracks too squashed or loud when they say "overproduced".

If you feel the compression of the overall track is too much than that would more likely be a mastering fault rather than the actual bands and or "producers". That's not the mixing or recording and more than likely done by a professional mastering company outside of the actual group.
The fault with the album is all of those things, they are not mutuallly exclusive. Loudness and compression can happen as a result of poor mixing dynamics as well, as shown in songs like Speak of the Devil and Back Where I Belong where the chorus completely drops off. And mastering falls under the remit of production most of the time as it is usually supervised by the band and/or producer. That's how the Sums have done it in the past.
fuck this signature nonsense
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Sonically the album in my opinion lacks dynamics and has too much vocal effects going on.
By dynamics I mean it sounds a bit flat - I know they do this nowadays cause people listen to music on-the-go and changing volume levels is bit annoying. But when you're listening to an album in quiet it's nice if the dynamics are there. An album with incredible work done on this behalf could for example be the debut album of RATM. It's just amazing how well its done.

Overall however I feel like this is one of the best albums (if not the best) Sum 41 has made - there is absolutely great songwriting at points (Goddamn I'm dead again, 13 voices, twisted by design), and the fillers are lot less fillery than on previous albums.
jordidanen95
Bunkface
First name: jordi
Instrument 2: piano

Post by jordidanen95 »

so has anyone heard the ''radio radio'' cover, its on the japanese edition. i can find war feat taka, but no sign of radio radio....
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

I still haven't listened to the album enough to give a review (listened to it yesterday for the first time).

But for now, I can say that this is the first album that has no fillers from the start. I mean, every other record had some songs I kept skipping, until they grew on me. But on this album, every song is GOLD.

One note. Black Eyes is definitely from the early SBM sessions. It has the same vibe as Always and some SBM songs. Not to mention the lyrics!
Andros wrote:Did you know that part of the "Goddamn I'm Dead Again" solo is like part of the 88 riff solo? And part of the same solo of "Goddamn I'm Dead Again" is like the riff of "Hotel California" from the Eagles? Is a nice combination.
Yeah, noticed the Hotel California as well. :silly:
Ashasx
Bunkface
First name: Jordan

Post by Ashasx »

You can hear a sample of their Radio Radio cover here

http://recochoku.jp/song/S1003658811/

Sounds really clean, but I can't get the full version.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i.imgur.com/j66kxPc.png[/imgwidth]
The Jester
First name: Rick
Post by The Jester »

Been listening to Screaming Bloody Murder again for a bit. I like the production a lot more and to me it has a bit more variety. Still though, 13 Voices is a killer album.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Am I reading too much into this or is deryck calling 'someone' out in the title track? Not very subtle if that is the case.

'And I don't believe in redemption
And no one will be spared
There's 32 ways you can die here tonight
It's a fucking family affair'
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef

Post by Stef »

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.