Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Acoustic performances in record stores

Post by HugoDisasters »

Hey!
Found a video from their acoustic performance so I thought I'd make a thread to collect all upcoming videos & discussion of them here.

Holy shit! The acoustic version of Hell Song sounds fucking epic.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Re: Acoustic performances in record stores

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Sounds cool, although it seems it's getting to be a tendency for Deryck that acoustic version means tuned-down, slower version of the original one (like Blood In My Eyes, War, Breaking the Chain, now this). Whatever, I love every Hell Song version, at least it's something new, but the older, faster version is better I think.

Off: do you have to make new thread for every new video? As I mentioned in another topic before, this forum is so chaotic and hard to find any topics that not in front page. Don't need any new unnecessary topic, this also could have been posted in a general Sum 41 thread.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Sounds so good. For so many years I've wished these guys would do couple weeks of pre-production on acoustic album (containing old songs) and then mic everyone and just record it like that, live. That'd be so good.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

Iam The Ghost wrote: Off: do you have to make new thread for every new video? As I mentioned in another topic before, this forum is so chaotic and hard to find any topics that not in front page. Don't need any new unnecessary topic, this also could have been posted in a general Sum 41 thread.
I don't have to, but I'd prefer it with how things are now.
In my opinion, threads with hundreds of pages are chaotic and doesn't concentrate the subject enough. I could read comments about a reply someone did about something which could be offtopic to the actual discussion on page 26/30 when the thread is started about something else and so on..

Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

hmm.. i dunno i think i like this old version way more
Spoiler: show
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros

Post by Andros »

I want to know what is the setlist for this acoustic performance we know that are The Hell Song and Fake My Own Death.
linkwhibley

Post by linkwhibley »

SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

SBMurder wrote:
I was there! They also performed "War", and I'll have that one up probably tomorrow. I'm still not done processing yesterday, haha.

Edit: I just saw you're from Ontario. Did you end up going to this event, too/ and or the show?
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

SumGeek wrote:
SBMurder wrote:
I was there! They also performed "War", and I'll have that one up probably tomorrow. I'm still not done processing yesterday, haha.

Edit: I just saw you're from Ontario. Did you end up going to this event, too/ and or the show?
i really wanted to unfortunately i was working up in Gravenhurst all summer and just got back a few days before the concert. i didnt have a chance to buy tickets right away and by the time I had a chance they were all sold out. Tried to buy them off people selling when i got home but those were all sold too. I saw them last time they came but really wanted to see them here.
Gebirgskuchen
First name: Daniel
Instrument 1: Vocals
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by Gebirgskuchen »

This Version sounds very sleepy. They could've at least implemented a slower variation of the main riff, Tom is used to play normally at first.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I can say the same as before: acoustic version means slower, tuned-down version? I kinda like it, but an acoustic session where every song sound like this could be very depressing. :hehe: Still, I would have rather had this on the album as bonus, instead of War.
bizzyd676
First name: Tone

Post by bizzyd676 »

The acoustic Hell Song almost sounds like Breaking The Chain.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Faeyaner »

War is quite good, Hell Song and FMOD sound ok, but I'm not really impressed. I agree 100% with Iam The Ghost, you can actually break down any song to strumming the chords, fill it with a beat and alternate the melody to avoid too big intervals. And in the case of FMOD, the acoustic version totally lost the character of the original while not adding anything new or exciting to it. Dave seems so unchallenged in this one.

On a side note: nice to see Frank on the cajon, but it's not really an acoustic performance. Deryck uses at least a half-acoustic guitar (could possibly be even full-electric as the hollow body seems very flat to me) and it's ok for Cone to play with a pick, but I still don't get while he plays an E-Bass at those occasions (and that for the last 15 years). I mean, no one expects him to play a fretless double bass or a guitar (what many bassists do if there is only one guitar player around), but he could at least use an acoustic bass.
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
Faeyaner
Bunkface
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Faeyaner »

Guys have you checked out the performance uploaded by Rolling Stone? It's just splendid.

Nothing really new, but the rendition of war sounds quite good in this one, the sound of all the songs is fantastic as are the video shots. Look them up if you haven't already!
have a try and test your knowledge:
http://www.allthetests.com/quiz33/quiz/ ... um-41-test
D. wrote:Actually I don’t think playing the guitar means that you can like fuckin' wank off really fast. That’s fuckin' easy. That’s technical, anyone can fuckin' do that.
It’s like sounding really nice, having a good feel, that’s all about the guitar.
That’s what I care about. I’d rather be a better strummer than fuckin' jizz all over the fuckin' fretboard...
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Almost a month to the day, here is my upload of Sum 41's full acoustic set at the HMV Underground in Toronto!