New interview of Deryck by Sum 41 France (23/02/16)

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Re: New interview of Deryck by Sum 41 France (23/02/16)

Post by Andros »

Lars wrote: Yeah, it's a bit frustrating to me as well.

Of course, as fans of Sum 41, we never had any complaints about a lack of updates. On the other hand: now they promoted Pledgemusic as "being a part of the process", updates are rather rare. Which is a pity, of course.

But again: Deryck has no strong information to share, I think. They're figuring out their label situation and I'm sure they'll let us know when something's confirmed.

Although it would be nice to have a statement like "Alright, there's 20 songs recorded for this album. 12 of them are completely done, the rest is being mixed in the next few weeks."
Agree with you, but here are some questions that I hope I'm not the only one, are they really full into the label thing? The mixing process is the final right? And 20 songs are great but how many of these will be the final tracklist? How many will be bonus tracks?
jacobbadillo41
Bunkface
First name: Jacob
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by jacobbadillo41 »

It is a good interview, clarified some things. I think we are undergoing great pressure Deryck give more details regarding record .I hope that He does not give much importance and they give the details when the details must be disclosed. If the record not yet finished I think it's because there's a song that will be important but do not yet know how to end.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

I don't care if it takes until fall for the album to release.
Just release one song together with the end of the pledgemusic campaign and a video update or two. That will be more than enough.

I think the importance is in showing some life signs to all the fans that can't go to the shows.
Spoiler: show
They better come to Sweden soon........!

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

I know, I don't care if the album release at the end of this year, would be a great christmas gift but anyway, I mean I think they need to give more life to the album updates, like video updates or write a little review about something, maybe would be a boring updates but some of the SBM making of was party and someone of us we wanted to know more of that boring thing.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I'd only hurry up things because I really, really want to hear something new in the August concert. Yeah, it'll be a blast nonethless, but I'd like to experience something new, 1 or 2 new song in the setlist would be awesome. Or more SBM.

Btw, yesterday I listened to some Sum 41 and I realized again (which I think I said many times before on other topics): I would definitely like to hear Open Your Eyes live. :2cool4u: Or Noots.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

I understand the frustration of not getting any updates. But the thing is, there's not much to update. Bunch of songs have been written and recorded, but there's still some stuff left to write and record. And just like with SBM, new song ideas keep coming so they need to figure out which songs to include on the album. Most of the process is just Deryck writing on his own and recording the parts along the way, so in Deryck's words it would be as interesting to watch as watching the paint dry (which I beg to differ :glad: ).

Also unlike previous albums, this album is recorded here and there, Cone and Dave doing their parts at home while Deryck and Frank can do theirs in LA. So there won't be any sessions to film, except the one we saw at PledgeMusic with the drums (which was a very good update).

And now I'm not even sure what my whole point was anymore.
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

TomiT14 wrote:Bunch of songs have been written and recorded, but there's still some stuff left to write and record.
Well, this is a good example, Tomi.

I didn't know there were still some songs that have to be recorded. You can think about their statement "It's almost done" in two ways, I believe. One can argue all of the songs are recorded, but not mixed yet. Or, as you said: some songs still have to be recorded. See what I mean?

Also: what about the songs that are already recorded? Are they already mixed and all? Mabe they just wait until everything is completely recorded to start the mixing process, which takes several weeks.

Add the whole label situation and a fall release is actually a realistic goal.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Lars wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:Bunch of songs have been written and recorded, but there's still some stuff left to write and record.
Well, this is a good example, Tomi.

I didn't know there were still some songs that have to be recorded. You can think about their statement "It's almost done" in two ways, I believe. One can argue all of the songs are recorded, but not mixed yet. Or, as you said: some songs still have to be recorded. See what I mean?
Well, if you watched the interview (which this thread is about), Deryck said that there's 10 songs done, 5 that he's working on and one he just wrote on tour.

I'm not sure what people here are expecting. A track-by-track progress report? To me it doesn't really make a difference how many songs there are still to be mixed. SBM was already recorded and mixed, when they decided to add two more songs. Just like SBM, this record will come out when they feel it's as good as it gets.

There are a lot of bands that don't even tell the fans that they are working on new stuff. I understand that some of us are used to the daily updates from SBM, but remember, Underclass Hero had only three (give or take) studio updates. SBM updates were more of an exception than a standard. I don't think we're being kept in the dark at all, especially when Deryck is personally answering to our posts here and on Facebook as well.