Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: Sum 41 new album PledgeMusic

Post by TomiT14 »

So, I'm not sure if this is their way to announce Frank as the new drummer? Either way, don't know much about the guy, but it seems he comes along great with the band, and he seems excited about Sum 41 as well, so I'm sure he's the right guy. :happy:
DeryckW
Billy Spleen
Last.fm Username: DeryckW

Post by DeryckW »

Just seeing Brownsound practicing with them makes me so damn happy.
Sometimes I can't help think that I have you right behind me all this time
If only you could have a chance to see
All the happiness you gave to me
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

Is it me or does Zummo has the strangest hairstyle ever?

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Sum 41 Answer Fan Questions on New Music & Overcoming Trials wrote:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://d2tqed3y8k290k.cloudfront.net/as ... 1441755114[/imgwidth]

There are few things diehard fans would love more than the chance to sit down with their favorite artists and ask them a question or ten. Sum 41 knows the value of a strong fan connection and recently made themselves available to answer questions about a number of topics submitted by their fans. Deryck Whibley, Cone McCaslin, and Tom Thacker all sat down to tell us all more about the band’s forthcoming new album, being told what to play in China and the trials of the last few years.

What is the overall theme going to be in regards to lyrical content for the new album, or is it going to be a song-by-song basis? -Eric, Alabama

Deryck: It feels like this is somewhat like volume 2 of Screaming Bloody Murder. If SBM was my life in order from after my divorce, this, so far is lyrically in order of the day I got back home from tour, leading into my life spiraling out of control.

Are any of the songs on the new album inspired by what you went through to recover? -Jason, Georgia

Deryck: Yes. Everything that goes on in my life ends up coming out in my lyrics. I would say [the album] chronicles from the beginning of the end to the end and then so on. I always try to find a way not to be too obvious or in your face about it. I like to play around with words a bit. I don’t like it to sound like a journal, but I want it to have the honesty as if it were one.

Who is drumming on the album and who are you planning on having drum for you guys when you’re on tour? -Zack, California

Deryck: Frank Zummo has played all the drums. He’s a beast on drums. We started playing together before I even wrote anything. We were just jamming and having fun. When I had my first batch of songs, we recorded a few. When I get some more done we’ll go back into the studio and record the rest.

You guys have traveled the globe and probably played at thousands of different venues. Is there a venue or particular festival that you guys always wanted to play but haven’t played yet? And if so where/what is it? -Lesley, Holland

Tom: Hi Lesley, Yep, we’ve played almost everywhere. From Albuquerque to Zagreb. We’ve even played in China, which was pretty strange. The officials chose our setlist for us, told us which songs we could and couldn’t play. Haha. Still, I had a f’ng blast there and loved playing for and meeting our Chinese fans. We’ve done so many festivals, I honestly wouldn’t be able to name all of them. One festival I would love to play that we haven’t played is Rock in Rio. We were booked to play it in Portugal a few years back but unfortunately had to cancel. Hopefully we’ll do it in Brazil too. We actually haven’t even played in Brazil yet. I’ve heard that Brazilian fans go absolutely nuts.

Obviously there is a new you (Deryck) since the last album. You have a new attitude and perspective on things. Does this reflect on the new album? -Rylan, AZ

Deryck: I would say that it must. I don’t really think too much about it. I write about myself and my experiences and just let the words sort of come out. But my mood and attitude always play a part in what comes out.

Hello Sum 41. It’s no secret that the band has had its fair share of trials and tribulations over the last decade in many ways, especially during this past year or so from losing an original member to a scary near death experience. What ended up being your motivation in choosing to go forward rather than stop altogether and was there ever a point where the band found itself questioning whether it was time to call it quits? -Jordan, Arizona

Cone: When we ended the last tour cycle and we all went our separate ways. I didn’t think about quitting, but I did think the band was somewhat imploding in ways. I wasn’t sure if we’d ever do it again. I love playing live and recording albums. I knew in my mind I wanted to do that again but I wasn’t sure if Sum 41 would be doing that again.

Deryck and I reconnected after a long break and talked about the last few years of touring, what had transpired, and how we both felt about everything and each other. We were really just becoming friends again. When we got into talks about new music and playing shows again I was all in. So was he and now we’re here.

When you write a song, do you generally have the vocal melody and after add the instruments, or do you first have a guitar or something then you add the vocals? -Romain, France

Deryck: I always start with music. Once I have the basic idea of the track, I will start coming up with the vocals.

What is the most meaningful song you have ever written? I mean in terms of lyrics? -Ophélie, France

Deryck: I would say “Pieces” is one of the most important songs for me. I felt it was the first time wrote a very personally emotional song. It gave me the confidence to do more that way.

How do you define success for Sum 41? Do you care more about critical, commercial, or artistic success? Is there something that really makes you feel like you’ve accomplished something great? I think you all are awesome successes! -Elizabeth, Virginia

Cone: I think for me success is being able to still tour all over the world and still have a fan base. You can’t look at album sales for success and I rarely read reviews. Critical success doesn’t really factor in for me. When we play shows and if people come out, that’s when I think we’ve become a successful band.

In comparison to your past albums, which direction is this new record moving towards? The old-school, wilder Sum 41 (‘Half Hour Of Power,’ ‘All Killer No Filler,’ etc.) or the more new serious Sum 41 (like ‘Screaming Bloody Murder’)? -Dyl, Michigan

Cone: I think this one is more along the same lines as SBM or Chuck musically. Its a heavier more aggressive album so far then All Killer or Half Hour but melodically it still has that All Killer vibe or Does This Look Infected vibe cause its got those catchy melodies. Its not a metal album at all but it is heavy sounding and there’s a bunch of fast stuff too.

With such iconic Canadian music institutions vanishing (Speakers Corner, Much Music, etc) do you feel Canada is losing it’s musical presence? What direction do you see Canada’s music culture heading in the future? Do you feel it will still have the same influential impact on new generations as in the past? -Tyson, Ontario

Tom: Hey Tyson, Speakers’ Corner gave viewers a voice at a time when artists/VJ’s/DJs were less accessible, These days everyone has access to pretty much every artist or music platform through Twitter/Instagram/Facebook etc. You can even start your own website/blog/vlog for free and communicate directly within the industry. So there are pretty much unlimited avenues you can take to have your voice heard.

It’s actually hard to imagine where Canadian music culture is headed since the music industry has changed so much and so quickly in the past decade. I think artists will become more independent, which is great, since it is easier to get exposure now through social media platforms. Artists can make music their way, promote it and market it their way instead of having to answer to a label or a program director.

It definitely is the and of an era though, MuchMusic was an amazing music channel that exposed all Canadian viewers, including me, to basically every genre of music, underground or mainstream. They aren’t really a music channel anymore, but they still offer grants through MuchFACT, available to Canadian artists that enable any musician to make a video/website/EPK that they may not otherwise be able to afford. There is also FACTOR, which also offers support to artists https://factor.ca.

With foundations like MuchFACT and FACTOR in place to help support Canadian talent, I can’t imagine Canada losing it’s musical presence. I’ve benefited from these organizations many times and so has every Canadian artist that I know. I think Canadians will always be influential in the arts; it’s in our blood. We support music because we love music.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Sickore
Billy Spleen
First name: Justyna
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: FiFty_B
Twitter: j_sickore

Post by Sickore »

HugoDisasters wrote:
Sum 41 Answer Fan Questions on New Music & Overcoming Trials wrote:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://d2tqed3y8k290k.cloudfront.net/as ... 1441755114[/imgwidth]

What is the most meaningful song you have ever written? I mean in terms of lyrics? -Ophélie, France

Deryck: I would say "Pieces" is one of the most important songs for me.
I don't think I know anyone who is into Sum 41 and isn't feeling the same about "Pieces". How awesome is that the author himself still has the same feelings about the song as well.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

And now there's a new update. Deryck talking about his writing process with Fat Lip and in general.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

TomiT14 wrote:And now there's a new update. Deryck talking about his writing process with Fat Lip and in general.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Love the new Noel Gallagher album in the background.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Lars wrote:Love the new Noel Gallagher album in the background.
Nice catch! Totally didn't notice that and I've had the album on repeat since it came out.
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

Has anyone received anything in the mail yet from pledgemusic?
I finally got the poster today.
It's a little smaller than I thought, and I'm kinda shocked that Dave didn't sign it.
Here's what it looks like...

Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I haven't recieved anything yet, although I live in Europe, so I expect to get it later. What bothers me is that I also haven't got any notification about that it's on the way or something...
Did they send you an e-mail or something before you got it?
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

Iam The Ghost wrote:I haven't recieved anything yet, although I live in Europe, so I expect to get it later. What bothers me is that I also haven't got any notification about that it's on the way or something...
Did they send you an e-mail or something before you got it?
This is the e-mail I got from pledgemusic...
PledgeMusic wrote:Sum 41 has marked your pledge as shipped. This means that all physical items should have been shipped and any special events should have occurred, unless you’ve made some special arrangement with the artist to do them at a later date.

If your pre-order has not been properly fulfilled or you do not receive your exclusives in the 7 days (or 30 days if it was an international shipment) please let us know on your pledge page and we’ll put you in contact with the artist who is responsible for all shipment.
I got that e-mail on May 4th, with a link to a tracking number.
So it took 8 days to get to me.
It looks like it got sent out from Texas because that was the starting location when I looked at the tracking.
Hope this helps! :razz:
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

Got The T-Shirt in the mail today :glad:
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Sum41Ant27 wrote: I got that e-mail on May 4th, with a link to a tracking number.
So it took 8 days to get to me.

It looks like it got sent out from Texas because that was the starting location when I looked at the tracking.
Hope this helps! :razz:
Thanks, now I know what I should wait for. :happy: I ordered a lyrics sheet, maybe Deryck hasn't written it yet so I'll wait 'till the end of the month, then contact them.
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

SBMurder wrote:Got The T-Shirt in the mail today :glad:
Wait what does the shirt look like?
If I'm not mistaken isn't the shirt supposed to be the album artwork for the new record?
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

My shirt just arrived at my place today. It's like a label from a beer bottle. Has the text Sum 41, SKUMFUK, Since 1996, Premium Punkrock, and some sorta skull with a mohawk hair. Kinda okayish. definitely not album art.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Haven't been online for a bit, but my pledge exclusives arrived a few days ago. :2cool4u: Can't wait to hear how these gems were put to use on the new album! For those still waiting, my package arrived 4 days after I was sent a confirmation email, so they had been shipped out some time before that, which I why I was surprised when it arrived.

It also takes some serious skill to sign these drumsticks! haha.

Image Image
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!

Re:

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

SumGeek wrote:Haven't been online for a bit, but my pledge exclusives arrived a few days ago. :2cool4u: Can't wait to hear how these gems were put to use on the new album! For those still waiting, my package arrived 4 days after I was sent a confirmation email, so they had been shipped out some time before that, which I why I was surprised when it arrived.

It also takes some serious skill to sign these drumsticks! haha.

Image Image
Looks awesome, but there's an additional signature on there.
I don't know what Dave's signature looks like, but it's the top right one.
That's not on my poster.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Re: Re:

Post by SumGeek »

Sum41Ant27 wrote: Looks awesome, but there's an additional signature on there.
I don't know what Dave's signature looks like, but it's the top right one.
That's not on my poster.
The signature you're missing is Frank's--maybe he wasn't available when the other guys were? Or maybe he only signed the drum exclusives? I have Dave's signature from when I met him a few years ago, and I can assure you his is the one on the bottom of the face on your poster. I meant to tell you this following your comment regarding it, actually. I wasn't expecting to see his signature, but it was a nice little surprise! :)
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I've just got my handwritten lyric sheet, The Hell Song (if it was really shipped on 8th then it has really arrived fast, for an international shipping).
It's really not a big thing, basically just a simple writing on a excercise book page and for that it seems really expensive...
BUT, it's worth so much for me. This song was the one that hooked me to Sum 41 and even since that it's one of my or maybe THE favourite Sum 41 song: it has a good lyric, so catchy guitar riff, energetic and fun and still meaningful, it's a real BOMB and always pump me up. I just love it.
And having a little piece of this song from my favourite band, from my favourite singer and songwriter... it's worth every cent I spent on it.