Deryck Whibley and the Happiness Machines???

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: Deryck Whibley and the Happiness Machines???

Post by TomiT14 »

SumGeek wrote:Image

Here is the set list from the first show.
Wow! Summer, Handle This and Angels With Dirty Faces??? :ohshiz:

So awesome!
tillfinalimpact
First name: Till

Post by tillfinalimpact »

Hey Deryck,
Another gear question:
You start using the kemper amp live now? And how do you remember the sounds from
All Killer or Half Hour Of Power to record the profiles,
Do you plan on putting them all online?
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Hey D, a question about the new album this is probably a question out of place, how much do you think that the process of recording the new album has advanced? We will have something by the end of the year?

UPDATE!

The Hell Song
Over My Head

In Too Deep
MachineGun
First name: Sascha
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by MachineGun »

Live in San Diego 7-5-15

Summer & Handle This
Motivation
No Reason
We're All To Blame
Welcome To Hell
The Hell Song

September 6, 2010 - Fürth
February 9, 2011 - Saarbrücken
August 7, 2012 - Würzburg
February 26, 2016 - Cologne
Sickore
Billy Spleen
First name: Justyna
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: FiFty_B
Twitter: j_sickore

Post by Sickore »

I'm just going through all those videos and it makes me feel... I don't know. Kind of emotional. In one sec, only by looking at D. on stage, I just remembered why I fell in love with Sum 41 in the first place. Awesome. I'm so happy that slowly, slightly everything is getting back to normal now. At some point I thought that I probably wasted my only chance of ever seeing Sum 41 live when I couldn't make it in 2010 in Poland, but... who knows now?

Fingers crossed for all your plans, Deryck. The energy is certainly there and that's a very good start. Can't wait for new music. Take care!
Mr. Biz
First name: Deryck

Post by Mr. Biz »

SumGeek wrote:
Mr. Biz wrote:
SumGeek wrote:Image

Here is the set list from the first show.

I really like what I'm seeing with those picks. (Summer, Handle This, No Reason, ect. Just wish it had a little more SBM tracks that didn't get as much play as they deserved the last time! i.e.: Reason to Believe, Blood in My Eyes, Baby You Don't Wanna Know. Time For You To Go is a personal favourite so it'd be interesting to see it played for the first time. Maybe one day!) Is it not subject to change at all for the next few following shows, Deryck? Just wondering, although, I know it's just a little warm up. From what I can tell though, it looks like a good time had by all. I wish California was closer, but I have hopes you'll return to Ontario soon! I know the excitement and turnout over these shows will have you feeling like you can get up there and do this every night again!

i would have loved to play some more songs. but the reality is i'm in the middle of writing and recording for the new sum 41 album and we only had 3 rehearsals to learn about 19-20 songs. there's about 3 in the medley. we're going to try some other songs in the short sound check that we have at the casbah tonight. so it might change a bit tonight. once sum 41 gets back up and touring, set lists will start to change more. i have some ideas to play songs that we haven't really played in a while. i'm looking forward to it. and yes the point of these shows was to just get back in the groove of playing and see how i feel playing a full set of songs. it's like running a marathon. i got train a little bit first.
Oh, I totally get it; these solo shows really crept up so quickly, and before you know it, you'll be hitting the APMAs stage! I just wasn't sure if out of those 19-20 songs you rehearsed some that were going to be played on another night. Watching some footage, it's like you never left the stage. Your resilience continues to impress me. And I look forward to what you have in mind for the upcoming Sum 41 shows!
well thank you very much!! shows have been really fun despite me being so fucking sick! today's my rest day before the LA show. and i feel like i'm getting even sicker now! such a bummer. reading your comments makes my day feel brighter. thank you
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

tillfinalimpact wrote:Hey Deryck,
Another gear question:
You start using the kemper amp live now? And how do you remember the sounds from
All Killer or Half Hour Of Power to record the profiles,
Do you plan on putting them all online?

well a few ways. one i have a very good memory, surprisingly. 2, for some of the stuff i took meticulous notes on amps and settings etc. 3, on a lot of the records i would usually record a DI guitar along with the amplified track. so i have the performance recorded on 2 separate tracks. so to recall the exact same sound later is simple. all i have to do is run the DI signal to the same amps and match the settings and A/B against the recorded guitar takes from the albums. and you can do that all in real time. switching back and forth between the new and old sound. once i match it exactly to what's on the old albums i save it in the kemper. instant time warp!

and yes i have thought about doing a download web site for all my sounds. there's a lot. and i've looked into it. i just need a few weeks of solid profiling time to do it. and right now i don't have that time. but i will try eventually and hopefully soon.
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

Andros wrote:Hey D, a question about the new album this is probably a question out of place, how much do you think that the process of recording the new album has advanced? We will have something by the end of the year?

well the process always changes. it's different every album. as time goes on and i get better and faster at recording, it gets harder sometimes to redo some of the demo stuff because that ends up sounding better than re recording. i would say that's the biggest difference. which is a great thing. a lot of times the demos can have something so special that you can't repeat once you're in the real studio. that's happened so many times in the past. i still can't stand the sound of DTLI because my demos have so much more life to them. the only problem is the demos were recorded so fucking bad that they're un usable as album quality.

UPDATE!

The Hell Song
Over My Head

In Too Deep
Sju
First name: Zuzana

Post by Sju »

I'm very happy to see you so active, Deryck - in the studio, here and on insta, sharing everything with us, and now finally even on stage. Hopefully I'll get to see you live in Prague someday again. Take care. :)
Andros
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Andros »

Mr. Biz wrote: well the process always changes. it's different every album. as time goes on and i get better and faster at recording, it gets harder sometimes to redo some of the demo stuff because that ends up sounding better than re recording. i would say that's the biggest difference. which is a great thing. a lot of times the demos can have something so special that you can't repeat once you're in the real studio. that's happened so many times in the past. i still can't stand the sound of DTLI because my demos have so much more life to them. the only problem is the demos were recorded so fucking bad that they're un usable as album quality.
Thanks for answer my question! About a preview that you posted in your first instagram account and then in the sum 41 account (last one is more worked than the first one), that's the sound that you're looking for?
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Mr. Biz wrote:well thank you very much!! shows have been really fun despite me being so fucking sick! today's my rest day before the LA show. and i feel like i'm getting even sicker now! such a bummer. reading your comments makes my day feel brighter. thank you
I think you becoming more sick on your off day is your body telling you it needs a dose of the stage again; you told the crowd at the Casbah that their hangover cure is fast music, well, I think it's the fast music you play tonight that might just do the trick for you! And I'm really glad to hear that I've brightened your day in the slightest. You've brightened my week with these solo shows, and I can't wait to see what else the rest of the year has in store for you! I know it only is going up from here.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Deryck, about the setlist, how much was it influenced by the poll at Sum41.com? Or was it more about trying out "new" songs after a long while?
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Re:

Post by HugoDisasters »

TomiT14 wrote:Deryck, about the setlist, how much was it influenced by the poll at Sum41.com? Or was it more about trying out "new" songs after a long while?
I think the poll was created too recently to have affected the current setlist?

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Ferdehh41
Ma Poubelle
First name: Ferdi

Post by Ferdehh41 »

Angels with Dirty Faces and Sick of Everyone
Mr. Biz
Re: Re:

Post by Mr. Biz »

HugoDisasters wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:Deryck, about the setlist, how much was it influenced by the poll at Sum41.com? Or was it more about trying out "new" songs after a long while?
I think the poll was created too recently to have affected the current setlist?

i took that into consideration. and i got some ideas from it. thanks to everyone who participated.
J-Town
First name: Justin

Post by J-Town »

Deryck! I was at the show in LA last night. It inspired me to finally create an account after all these years of just reading these boards.

Amazing job! Congratulations on getting back up on stage. It looked like you never stopped honestly. So much energy, you killed it. Great setlist. I especially loved Summer (despite the technical difficulties), Angels with Dirty Faces, and Walking Disaster. Always love that you play some of 88 at the end of Motivation.

Your passion for music truly inspires me man, that's how I've felt for the past 10+ years. It's great to see someone as accomplished as yourself still have that fire 15 years into their career. Cheers on the 3 shows, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Sums quite soon!
Mr. Biz

Post by Mr. Biz »

J-Town wrote:Deryck! I was at the show in LA last night. It inspired me to finally create an account after all these years of just reading these boards.

Amazing job! Congratulations on getting back up on stage. It looked like you never stopped honestly. So much energy, you killed it. Great setlist. I especially loved Summer (despite the technical difficulties), Angels with Dirty Faces, and Walking Disaster. Always love that you play some of 88 at the end of Motivation.

Your passion for music truly inspires me man, that's how I've felt for the past 10+ years. It's great to see someone as accomplished as yourself still have that fire 15 years into their career. Cheers on the 3 shows, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Sums quite soon!
well thank you for joining and for coming to the show. i had a blast other than, yeah, the technical shit. but hey it's a rock show. i fall in love more and more with music as i get older. i don' think i'll ever stop. as long as there's skumfuks i will play music!
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Mr. Biz wrote:as long as there's skumfuks i will play music!
You can always count on me to book you to play at my backyard! :glad:
Although I'm sure I'm not the only one, so watch out for Rolling Stone references 40 years from now. :winkwink:
J-Town
First name: Justin

Post by J-Town »

Mr. Biz wrote:
well thank you for joining and for coming to the show. i had a blast other than, yeah, the technical shit. but hey it's a rock show. i fall in love more and more with music as i get older. i don' think i'll ever stop. as long as there's skumfuks i will play music!
You will never run out of us skumfuks!

Glad you have that outlook on the technical shit. It's easy to get pissed at stuff like that but you're right, it's all just part of the show. You handled it like a professional. Passed the time with some stories and rocked on.

I sadly can't make it to Chain Reaction on the 19th but looking forward to an LA Sum 41 show in the future. Been coming to the shows since I was a teenager, no plans on ever stopping!
Andros
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Andros »

Guys, what do you think that will be the "exciting" thing for tomorrow from the Sums? Check it out

https://instagram.com/p/45KyBqmZ2C/