Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

New Gob Album Apt. 13

Post by Heather »

I looked and looked but couldn't find a thread for Gob or Tom, so here ya go.

https://soundcloud.com/newdamagerecords/gob-cold

Click to view the fullsize image.https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 9694_n.jpg[/imgwidth]

Click to view the fullsize image.https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 1332_n.jpg[/imgwidth]

Long-running Vancouver pop punk act Gob haven't released any new material since 2007's Muertos Vivos, but that will change this summer with the arrival of a new album called Apt. 13.

The album will arrive on August 26 through New Damage Records. It was produced entirely by the band themselves and features 10 songs on vinyl and CD. There's also an iTunes deluxe edition with an additional three tracks.

Apt. 13 promises to offer more of Gob's signature melodic rock, though it's less straightforward than albums past. As a press release explains, Apt. 13 "leans less towards the straight-up pop influence of its predecessors and puts focus on a fuller, more layered rock sound that includes sonic elements of decades past."

The band have exclusively shared new single "Cold" with Exclaim!, which can be streamed below. The song modernizes Gob's punchy punk approach, offering familiar signifiers with a mature level of restraint.

Gob plan to take the new album out on the road in the coming months and already have several summer dates booked. You can see all the confirmed dates so far after the tracklist.

Apt. 13:

1. Apt 13

2. Radio Hell

3. Same As It Ever Was

4. Cold

5. Walking Alone

6. New York

7. Cars on Fire *

8. Terpsichore

9. NIL

10. (Get It) Tonight *

11. Can't Get Over You *

12. Standing There

13. Call For Tradition

* iTunes deluxe version only

Tour dates:

06/20 Montebello, QC - Amnesia Rock Fest
06/21 Waterloo, ON - Maxwell's
06/22 Waterloo, ON - Maxwell's
06/27 Hagersville, ON - Lachie Music Festival
07/09 Belleville, ON - Canadian Independent Musical Festival (Zwick's Park)
07/10 Oshawa, ON - Moustache Club
08/02 Penticton, BC - Boonstock Music Festival
08/22 Vancouver, BC - Imperial Room (CD RELEASE PARTY)
08/30 Valleyview, AB - Beaverfest
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

Really nice song!

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

It's been out for 13 days ?? how did I miss that ?
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Re: Tom Thacker Thread

Post by SumGeek »

I wanna try and make it to one of those Ontario shows! Here's to hoping.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Sweet song.
Looking forward to the rest of the album :D

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Heather wrote:I looked and looked but couldn't find a thread for Gob or Tom, so here ya go.
Gob

The Tom Thread

:balling:
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

TomiT14 wrote:
Heather wrote:I looked and looked but couldn't find a thread for Gob or Tom, so here ya go.
Gob

The Tom Thread

:balling:
Ahhhh...how! lol. I tried the search and everything. I think mine is broken.

I changed the title of this thread, sorry guys.
patenttiftw
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Post by patenttiftw »

Nice song indeed, reminds me a bit of the stuff that was on The World According To :p

Good to see that the Gob fans unite domain is still alive as well :2cool4u: though i dont even think I paid the bill for it...
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Nice song, waiting for the album.
DW_60
Hooch
First name: Amin
Instrument 3: Drum
Twitter: aaminolo

Re: New Gob Album Apt. 13

Post by DW_60 »

Sum 41 France Interview ! Enjoy it guy's

TOM :

Why have you waited 7 years before releasing another album ? Is that because Sum 41 takes a lot of your time ?

We started this record in 2010, it really should have been out in 2011! We went through pretty much everything you can possibly imagine making this record, honestly, it felt at times like the record was cursed and would never come out. And yeah, I was touring the world full time with Sum41 while we were making it, which was fucking awesome but, you know, it's hard to get things done at home when you're constantly elsewhere.

What can you tell us about this album ?

We had total freedom when we started this record. We had no label, no management, just us. It was really fucking refreshing and I was stoked! We set out with the intention of making a more upbeat record than our previous one (Muertos Vivos). I think musically it is more upbeat but you know, over those years we all went through a lot of shit, I think that really affected the lyrics. I noticed it when I was writing the lyrics out for the album artwork, they're pretty melancholy.

How many songs are there on it ?

There are 10 songs on the CD and LP and 13 songs on the deluxe itunes version.

Do you already have an album title ?

The title is Apt 13. I lived in an Apartment 13 in NYC and did a bunch of the recording there. It was a pretty gnarly situation. I would be screaming away in my makeshift studio(bedroom) while someone is stomping on the floor upstairs trying to get me to shut up, meanwhile my next door neighbor is fucking cranking Bollywood tunes. Not the ideal place to make a record but sometimes putting yourself in a shitty situation fuels creativity. Theo also lived in an Apt 13 in Vancouver, so that kind of made the decision for us to use that for the title.

Is there any single or video planned ?

We leaked the song COLD. The first single will be RADIO HELL. We will be doing a video for it but we haven't started planning it yet.

Has your adventure with Sum 41 changed your way of writing ?

Absolutely, every single note I write will in one way or another be influenced by my experiences with my Sum brothers, but as far as my writing method. I usually write in my head then sit down with a guitar or piano and figure it out. I don't think anything will change that, it's just how most of my ideas come together.

Will you do a local tour ? Any European shows ?

We have tour dates for this summer in Canada. We are planning a fall tour in Canada then we're planning on touring internationally in 2015.

What can you tell us about the future of Sum 41 ?

Nothing really to say at this point. I just got off the phone with Deryck, he sounded great and he's stoked to get things going again but it will probably be a little while before he's 100%.

We have seen that you’re still in touch with Stevo. How is it going with him now ?

Stevo's awesome. He's working on a bunch of stuff, you'll hear about it once he's ready to share it with the public.

Are you still in touch with Cone ?

Yeah, totally. We've both been writing a lot and we're sending songs back and forth. We're planning on doing a record together but it's still in it's infant stages so that's all I can really say about it at this point.
Image Image

" Tu es mon petite poubelle. "
Amin #sum41france http://www.facebook.com/Sum41France
Stef
Walking Disaster

Post by Stef »

Oh, cool that Cone and Tom are writing songs :)

Stef
Walking Disaster

Post by Stef »

Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Re:

Post by Ardi41 »

Stef wrote:new GOB single song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf_RtyIyaWY
Whoa ! Very nice!
I love it :glad:
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Hi guys !

We (Sum 41 France) had the chance to listen to the new Gob album, thanks to Tom and his label, I'll post a quick review tomorrow. To sum it up, it was worth the wait :)

'night all !
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros

Post by Andros »

It leaked the regular version of the album.
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Hi guys, here's our review, as promised !

Please excuse me if there are any mistakes, I did part of the translation at work and honestly there are words I didn't know how to translate...

Hope you'll enjoy reading it !
Apt. 13
The album starts with that song. There’s the intro, intriguing and epic at the same time, driven by many guitars. Then the song starts with the chorus, powerful, fast and on the same melody as the intro. The vers comes next, also on a very catchy rhythm. On this song, no solo where you can lose yourself, we go straight to the essential. The song ends up with a piano part (without vocals on it), a great way to move to the next song, that you’ve probably already listened to. This song has an original structure, ideal to introduce the album.

Radio Hell
This song is probably one of the most catchy on the album. Because of its simplicity, it stays in your head, whether it be because of its riff or its unifying chorus, along with an excellent solo. You know it already , let’s move on to the next one !

Same As It Ever Was
Powerful : that’s the word which probably fits the best to this song. A catchy chorus driven by a wall of guitars and some piano, which, with the ternary rhythm, gives an extremely interesting melodic ensemble. This track is short, but it’s enough. All is said.

Cold
You also know this track, melodic and full of energy, which reminds more of the pop punk style that the band has put aside on this album. This ambience doesn’t stop from having a well designed song, well written and that makes you spirit travel, as your ears have probably already experienced.

Walking Alone
Here is another very catchy and energetic track. The intro set us in the mood immediately: a little bit aggressive and scary, but not too much (quite like the way Sum 41 covered Rebel Yell at a show a few years ago). The chorus is more melodic, and we easily get carried away by the "I will be walking alone" that compose it. We are once again rewarded by a beautiful solo with varied melodies.

New York
Change of Style: We could swear hearing a song of Angels And Airwaves if we only listened to the intro. It's none of that, we rapidly return to a gob style song. This song is mostly calm, sounding like a powerful ballad rather than another rock hymn. Well placed in the album to change the ambience.

Terpsichore
This track make us think of Weezer with Rock'n'Roll ambiances. To avoid the risk of being monotonous, the band changed the tonality at the end of the track. It's not easy writing something about this song, the writing is quite simple and the ambiance does everything.

NIL
This track is based on a very simple rhythm and in an ambience close to the one of a song like Time For You To Go by Sum 41, and the sounds make us think of some songs of the album Foot In Mouth Disease. Concluded by a nice solo, this is once again a rock ambience with no frills.

Standing there
The song starts with an arpeggio riff, which gives a melancholic ambience. It goes on with a calm verse in palm mute and a deep vocal track that will stay until the end of the track. Although this song sounds different from the others, it combines simplicity and effectiveness.

Call for tradition

No epic and blaring song to conclude this album. An acoustic pop-folk song, where the background vocals, the piano, the violins and the tambourine accompany the guitar/vocals formula without doing too much. The kind of song where, when we listen to it, we jealously say: « I could have written this on a whim ».

Conclusion :
This album could be seen as the Chinese Democracy of Gob. The previous album, Muertos Vivos was released in 2007, and the writing process for that new record started in 2009. After such a long time writing, recording and mixing, the band couldn’t fail. They didn’t. Yet this album is daring. In a way, it is the continuity of Muertos Vivos, because of its an innovation in the band’s career, being different from the other pop punk/punk rock albums with simple, redundant but efficient riffs or choruses nonetheless. Even more than in Muertos Vivos, the band goes further into the diversity, combining mid-tempos where we don’t get bored, ravaging choruses, calm moments, new ambiances that are intriguing and even a little bit frightening sometimes. The diversity of the songs doesn’t stop their coherence, mostly because in order to innovate, the band didn’t want to be burdened with cosmetic arrangements. The inspiration, the originality and the multiples melodies that are offered by guitar or vocal chords coupled with tempo changes have been enough to venture to the various sounds that the world of rock music has to offer. Finally, the mixing was really well done even though the album was auto-produced. Here, the eclecticism won’t be synonymous with inaccessibility for the Gob audience, unless you are closed to anything that’s energetic punk rock inherited from the Ramones, you’ll get hooked, don’t worry. So where are the defects ? All the patience we had to have in order to finally listen to these songs, and the fact that there’s only 10 of them (the is just half of a defect, at least the album goes straight to the essential, and we’re not tempted to stop it before the end). All in all, defects that are also the fruit of its quality…
patenttiftw
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Post by patenttiftw »

Just listened to it.

Gotta be honest, kinda disappointed as I thought there would have been some bigger sounding songs also. I don't know is it my music taste that has changed as I listen to alot of semi-mainstream stuff nowadays too or just this album kinda being left bland... There should have been space and time for a song like "Fed Up" or "Banshee Song".

Walking Alone and Call For Tradition are prob my favorites. Though I'm kinda let down at this moment I still appreciate the little step back to the older sound, reminding me of the times when I was a kid and loving the tunes from Foot In Mouth Disease and The World According To Gob.