Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby
Instrument 2: Piano

What If

Post by UltraKolby »

If Deryck and Avril never split up, would the album after Underclass Hero sound more like Always or would it be the same Screaming Bloody Murder we all know and love. I personal believe that if they stayed together, the album would be more like Always and be more lighter rather than the darker SBM cause, for me, SBM seems more like a break up album. Please don't chew me out or anything, this is just my opinion and I would love to hear yours.
I love Deryck
First name: elizabeth
Twitter: superSum41fan

Post by I love Deryck »

I think that the album would be about him getting over his addiction(s), I think one of the main reasons they broke up was cuz he was(hopefully not is) addicted to alcohol. Just my opinion. Oh, and the song Always isn't exactly a happy love song.
X^2
Billy Spleen

Re: What If

Post by X^2 »

I'm just glad we didn't get anything like "Always" on SBM. ^^
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Isn't that obvious though? Half the songs are more or less about the break up... The other ones would've probably still happened, just not as dark as they are now.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

I don't think the music would've been much different from SBM. But the lyrics would probably be less dark though.

Remember, Always was supposed to be released with the 6-song EP that eventually evolved to SBM. So at the time Deryck was writing Always, he had already started writing Jessica Kill, Dark Road and SBM. Jessica Kill already had a name before the lyrics and music, so I'd think that song would've been pretty much the same as it is now. The lyrics of Dark Road symbolizes the time after break-up, so the lyrics would be totally different, but the music was already being written before the break-up, so that would probably have a lot of similarities to the song we have.

So yeah, I believe their music would've sounded about the same, with different lyrics of course. But I've always thought of Always being an early cut from SBM, so I wouldn't say Always is much different from SBM style. Lyrically yes, but not musically.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Re:

Post by Heather »

I love Deryck wrote:I think one of the main reasons they broke up was cuz he was(hopefully not is) addicted to alcohol. Just my opinion.
no
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Re: Re:

Post by sprinks41 »

Heather wrote:
I love Deryck wrote:I think one of the main reasons they broke up was cuz he was(hopefully not is) addicted to alcohol. Just my opinion.
no
thank you Heather lol beat me to it
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I agree with Tomi in that the music would probably be the same, just different approach to lyrics. I also don't think songs such as Exit Song, What Am I to Say, Time for You to Go and Baby You Don't Wanna Know would even really exist. The first two are divorce related and the latter two are a result of constant partying and debauchery that occurred during the recording process. I'd assume that things would be more tame like they were when they did Underclass Hero.

Really, I think if there was any chance that a song from Screaming Bloody Murder would've been left unchanged it would be Jessica Kill. It still retained its working title since 2009 and for me, having the title that early on could suggest that Deryck already had the concept of the song in his mind.
The Jester
First name: Rick
Post by The Jester »

I think the 5th album would be a bit less badass, but I think Deryck would be living healthier and I think there's a chance that Stevo wouldn't have quit
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Re:

Post by sprinks41 »

The Jester wrote:I think the 5th album would be a bit less badass, but I think Deryck would be living healthier and I think there's a chance that Stevo wouldn't have quit
Stevo quitting had nothing to do with the music. When I spoke to Deryck over the phone, he said Stevo was just tired of being on the road so much and missed spending time with his family. He wanted to be home.

And for the record, I believe that after enough time goes by Stevo will return to Sum 41. But then again, that could just be wishful thinking, it may never happen. As Deryck has already said, "you never know what the future holds."
Andyrew004
First name: Andrew
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Andyrew004 »

UltraKolby wrote:If Deryck and Avril never split up, would the album after Underclass Hero sound more like Always or would it be the same Screaming Bloody Murder we all know and love. I personal believe that if they stayed together, the album would be more like Always and be more lighter rather than the darker SBM cause, for me, SBM seems more like a break up album. Please don't chew me out or anything, this is just my opinion and I would love to hear yours.
It is very possible!

That is a very interesting thing to think about.

I am not sure if I'm a minority here, but I personally liked Underclass Hero more than Screaming Bloody Murder (I do love both, but like UH more).

My guess is that you may be right that it would have been like Always. SBM would have just not been so dark.
~Andyrew004