Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

DERYCK CALLED ME!!!!!!!!

Post by sprinks41 »

I'm shaking right now! My adrenaline is sky high! Deryck Whibley of Sum 41 called me! I saw his post on Facebook, messaged him my cell phone number and the picture we took together and he called!!!

Now unfortunately, I was unable to record the conversation because I still have a flip phone (yes I know, haha, very funny lol) but here's the jist of it with some interesting points.

November 15, 2013 - 3:59pm EST
I recognized the area code because my aunt also lives in Los Angeles, so I thought "No way, it's not him." I picked up and heard "Hey what's up? It's Deryck from Sum 41." I let out a "Holy fuck!!!" and he laughed and asked "How's it going?" I ran into my room, closed the door and said "I can't believe this is happening, I'm actually shaking right now." He said "No man, don't. It's ok. Believe me, this is really not a big deal at all."

I asked him if he remembered the night we met after the show and he said yes, so I thanked him very much for bringing my little brother on stage. I asked how he is doing and he said "I'm doing pretty good, I actually am just waking up."

I told him "I didn't get the chance to tell you this the night we met but since I have you on the phone, I want to thank you very much for being the person you are and inspiring me with your music. I have 4 guitars, your signature Telecaster is one of them, and you are the reason I play, write songs and live for music. There's not one song you've written that hasn't helped me get through a difficult time or put a smile on my face." He said "Wow, that's really cool, thanks a lot! That's what I love about what I do, I love hearing that my music and material inspires the fans. And that's also why I posted what I did I Facebook. I'm not much of a typer, I'm not a Facebook-er, or whatever you wanna call it. I'm more of a chatter, and I love communicating with the fans so I figured "what the hell, I'll call some of them."

Facts and Trivia I got from him
He is working on the new record but does not have any working titles yet. He said he always starts off very simple and names the material "Song 1" or "Riff 3", etc.

I ventured into somewhat personal territory and asked "If you can't answer this I'll understand: do you and Stevo still keep in touch even though he quit, or how has your relationship been affected?" He said they have not spoken but they also did not have a fight of any kind. They have many mutual friends so they find out what each other is up to. Deryck then said that Stevo was just very exhausted from touring (they toured SBM for 3 years) and that when he got home to his family he said "I'm done with this, I wanna be home." I said "It makes sense because his son is like 2-years-old now so I'm sure he just wants to be a family man and be there to help raise his son and watch him grow up." Deryck said "That's exactly it, he missed his family on the road. In fact, they are trying to have another kid." He then said "Believe me man, touring is very hard. This kinda life can really wear on you. That's why we're taking a nice break now, we were on tour for SBM for so long."

I asked if they have any plans to join another record label since they left Island. He said "I honestly don't know what it going to happen. I've spoken to a few people, in fact I just talked to the president of Warner Bros. Records the other day, and there's just a lot of shit that goes on in this business. Especially money. For example, fans have asked me 'how come you don't make videos like Fat Lip anymore?' and it's because Fat Lip cost us $500,000 to make, whereas now we're lucky if we can even get $15,000 from a label to do a video. And it doesn't matter how high up in authority a person is. Even the president of a record company can be told by others "No, we're not funding a video for that band, or we're not funding this record or that song for the band."

I told him I think he is an amazing producer but that I know he's said that he doesn't like producing. I asked "Do you not liking producing for Sum 41 or at all?" He said "I absolutely hate producing in general. There's so much work to be done, and it's not just with the record being made or writing. There's a lot of business aspects you have to deal with too. And at times, people just don't listen. I've worked with bands before where I'll say 'I think you should change this here' or 'use this guitar for this section' and they will say 'No I don't want to.' And I will just be like, 'OK, but you're wrong, I know what I'm talking about.'"

I asked what the deal is with his website, such as when is it coming out or is it still being worked on. He said "It's coming, don't worry. It was actually supposed to be up and running already but there's been some issues with various people that caused it to be put on delay. You know Nic from TheresNoSolution.com?" I said "Yes I'm part of that site and I'm familiar with Nic." He said "OK cool, yeah Nic is the one who's been helping me put my site together so he's been very helpful with it." (At this point, I'd like to give a HUGE shout-out and kudos to Nic!!!!!)

I thanked him very much for calling and said I would save his number on a piece of paper but not in my phone, because I would be too tempted to contact him A LOT lol. He said "You're welcome dude. Yeah, definitely save my number but just please do me a favor, don't put it on the internet." I said "No way, I would never do that to you." He said "OK man, glad you enjoyed the call. Hope to see you when we're back on tour. Take care!"

I'm sitting here typing this and still in shock :holyshit:
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

This is awesome to hear! Looks like he actually got through to someone. At first when I read the post topic, I thought it'd be someone on here pretending D called them, haha! Glad that wasn't the case and I got to read some excitement from a deserved fan.

Thanks for sharing those facts; Stevo topic was what I expected. Glad he's enjoying his time with his family, though.

Hope to be able to share the same experience!
sprinks41
Walking Disaster

Re:

Post by sprinks41 »

SumGeek wrote:This is awesome to hear! Looks like he actually got through to someone. At first when I read the post topic, I thought it'd be someone on here pretending D called them, haha! Glad that wasn't the case and I got to read some excitement from a deserved fan.

Thanks for sharing those facts; Stevo topic was what I expected. Glad he's enjoying his time with his family, though.

Hope to be able to share the same experience!
It was awesome! Thank you!
I love Deryck
First name: elizabeth
Twitter: superSum41fan

Post by I love Deryck »

Dude, I gotta say 2 things. 1. Thanks for posting this. 2. you're one lucky motherfucker.
sprinks41
Walking Disaster

Re:

Post by sprinks41 »

I love Deryck wrote:Dude, I gotta say 2 things. 1. Thanks for posting this. 2. you're one lucky motherfucker.
1. No problem!
2. Haha I know! Thank you! I still cannot believe it!
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Post by Nic »

I was lol'ing at the people claiming it wasn't really Deryck posting on that page. Glad he got through to a TNS member!
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Re:

Post by Heather »

Nic wrote:I was lol'ing at the people claiming it wasn't really Deryck posting on that page. Glad he got through to a TNS member!
haha! Same. That one girl kept spamming.

And yes, glad a TNSer got chosen!
sprinks41
Walking Disaster

Re: Re:

Post by sprinks41 »

Nic wrote:Glad he got through to a TNS member!
Heather wrote:glad a TNSer got chosen!
thank you both!
Sju
First name: Zuzana

Post by Sju »

This is so awesome. Lucky you! :)
Jeremy Kill
Re: DERYCK CALLED ME!!!!!!!!

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Sweet! That's awesome. I wish he would post more news about what he's up to though, even if he isn't much of a computer guy. I wasn't sure if I wanted to post my number publicly in the comments section, so I sent it in a PM. Glad to know that he checks those, haha.
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

I would cry. Like literally cry. For days. THAT IS SO COOL MAN. I'm glad D actually did that for one of the fans.
Queso Man
King of Contradiction
First name: Bryant
360 Gamer Tag: Queso Man
Twitter: Queso_Man

Post by Queso Man »

That's great you were able to have a decent conversation! When I met him I was so nervous I couldn't think of what all to say. Haha. I probably wouldn't fare any better with a phone call.
maru89
First name: Maru

Post by maru89 »

I haven't come here in a while. But As I saw your post in deryck's fb. I just want to say that I'm very happy for you!! You give us all hope and I bet everyone is staring at their phones waiting for the call.
I can't believe it's true. But I'm glad that you're here to tell us about it. Deryck rock. Who else would do anything like that? No one!
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

Deryck called me as well!!
I was on the phone with him for a little over 30 minutes. I was getting my back tattooed and missed his call twice, but he left me a voicemail (obviously I'm never deleting it haha). I saw the phone says Northern California, and I said, "No fucking way" and Deryck left me a voicemail! I called back and his voicemail wasn't set up, but he called right back. Like Jim said, he's really easy to talk to! It was such an honor speaking to him! Such an awesome person!
sprinks41
Walking Disaster

Re:

Post by sprinks41 »

Sum41Ant27 wrote:Deryck called me as well!!
I was on the phone with him for a little over 30 minutes. I was getting my back tattooed and missed his call twice, but he left me a voicemail (obviously I'm never deleting it haha). I saw the phone says Northern California, and I said, "No fucking way" and Deryck left me a voicemail! I called back and his voicemail wasn't set up, but he called right back. Like Jim said, he's really easy to talk to! It was such an honor speaking to him! Such an awesome person!
Congrats Ant!!!! :glad:
I love Deryck
First name: elizabeth
Twitter: superSum41fan

Re:

Post by I love Deryck »

Sum41Ant27 wrote:Deryck called me as well!!

Details? please?
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Damn, congrats guys, it's really awesome! :D I can't remember anyone has ever done this thing like Deryck before, it's remarkable from him.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

You lucky lucky bastards ^^
I think he's still not able to call outside america...
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

This is pretty wonderful of deryck, shows how he really cares for his fans and really is a down-to-earth kinda person. Not your usual arrogant, self-indulgent rock-star.
You lucky lucky bastards ^^
I think he's still not able to call outside america...
Ya know, it ain't cheap to call across the ocean. haha.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

Congrats Anthony!