The future of Sum 41

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Jesse-pinkman
First name: Mehdi
The future of Sum 41

Post by Jesse-pinkman »

Hello everyone , I'm new here and I really like the idea of gathering all the sums fans in one website and what is even better is that Deryck,my idol, is here too!! so thank you whoever made this happen! anyway let's move to my question , I'm a little bit scared of the future of Sum 41 right now , it's been a long time since we heard some good news , only bad ones (Stevo left..) and also i've seen some pictures of Deryck lately and he doesn't look well , I feel sad for him and I don't want anything bad to happen to him , His music has helped me a lot! so if anyone can enlighten me about what's going on in the sum 41 camp ? I read in wikipedia that they are working on a new album but.. I don't know , thanks a lot!
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: The future of Sum 41

Post by TomiT14 »

Deryck wrote:i'm not going anywhere man. i'm still working on new music, lots of ideas. deryck

-October 5th 2013
So yes, Deryck is writing some new tunes. Like with the past two albums, he likes to take time to write. Even though it's been 6 months since they stopped touring, it will probably be until next year before we hear what's going on.

They toured 3 years straight, so it's acceptable for them to take a little longer break this time. But they will come back some day!
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

TomiT14 wrote:
Deryck wrote:i'm not going anywhere man. i'm still working on new music, lots of ideas. deryck

-October 5th 2013
So yes, Deryck is writing some new tunes. Like with the past two albums, he likes to take time to write. Even though it's been 6 months since they stopped touring, it will probably be until next year before we hear what's going on.

They toured 3 years straight, so it's acceptable for them to take a little longer break this time. But they will come back some day!
How could you be so sure they will come back some day?
At this point there seems to be no indications of them even existing.
That's why I'm asking :confusion:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

HugoDisasters wrote:At this point there seems to be no indications of them even existing.
Did you even read the quote I posted?
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

I'm not worried for the future of Sum 41. There are plenty of indications that we're getting new material, I won't get into it but as Tomi stated and from what we all know, we know lately patience is something we all have to have regarding new material as the last few albums have been a wait, but it's all worth it in the end (For example, SBM). A lot of it is behind-the-scenes at the moment, so, things are happening. I expected it to be this way anyway, at least for a bit. Don't worry! By the end of this year I'm sure we'll get some updates.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

TomiT14 wrote:
HugoDisasters wrote:At this point there seems to be no indications of them even existing.
Did you even read the quote I posted?
I did, but the simple fact that Deryck is writing material doesn't necessarily correlate to SUM41 coming back, does it? This might be a bit pessimistic but the fact he is writing doesn't tell us anything about an outcome. I don't know... what do you guys think?

If they do, I wonder who is going to take on the drums.

Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I think Deryck will always be writing music. It's his life. Will Sum 41 last as a band? Hard to say. Whether the band dissolves or not probably won't affect Deryck's songwriting since he's the main songwriter. Just because he's writing doesn't stop Cone or Tom from randomly leaving the band. Stevo was the last person we thought would leave. I know he's a father now, but if that's a reason to leave the band then brace yourselves for Cone's inevitable departure. I'm not trying to start rumours, but since he's married too, it's only a matter of time. The whole situation is too vague to draw any solid conclusion other than Deryck continues to write music. Notice how he just singles himself out and says "I'm not going anywhere" rather than "Sum 41 isn't going anywhere"? I'm probably nitpicking now. Sorry.

Long story short: Deryck will continue to write music, but who knows what is going to happen to Sum 41. That's how I see it.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I think Deryck will always be writing music. It's his life. Will Sum 41 last as a band? Hard to say. Whether the band dissolves or not probably won't affect Deryck's songwriting since he's the main songwriter. Just because he's writing doesn't stop Cone or Tom from randomly leaving the band. Stevo was the last person we thought would leave. I know he's a father now, but if that's a reason to leave the band then brace yourselves for Cone's inevitable departure. I'm not trying to start rumours, but since he's married too, it's only a matter of time. The whole situation is too vague to draw any solid conclusion other than Deryck continues to write music. Notice how he just singles himself out and says "I'm not going anywhere" rather than "Sum 41 isn't going anywhere"? I'm probably nitpicking now. Sorry.

Long story short: Deryck will continue to write music, but who knows what is going to happen to Sum 41. That's how I see it.
This. Deryck is a phenomenal writer, and while I do care about the band, the fact that Deryck will keep writing no matter what is a massive consolation. I wouldn't be surprised to see some solo work in the next few years.
fuck this signature nonsense
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Gregorovich wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:I think Deryck will always be writing music. It's his life. Will Sum 41 last as a band? Hard to say. Whether the band dissolves or not probably won't affect Deryck's songwriting since he's the main songwriter. Just because he's writing doesn't stop Cone or Tom from randomly leaving the band. Stevo was the last person we thought would leave. I know he's a father now, but if that's a reason to leave the band then brace yourselves for Cone's inevitable departure. I'm not trying to start rumours, but since he's married too, it's only a matter of time. The whole situation is too vague to draw any solid conclusion other than Deryck continues to write music. Notice how he just singles himself out and says "I'm not going anywhere" rather than "Sum 41 isn't going anywhere"? I'm probably nitpicking now. Sorry.

This. Deryck is a phenomenal writer, and while I do care about the band, the fact that Deryck will keep writing no matter what is a massive consolation. I wouldn't be surprised to see some solo work in the next few years.
I'd love to see him doing some solo acoustic record
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

I'd rather on speculate on matters I don't know nothing about. Time will tell, be patient.
[donate][/donate]
pescidavid
First name: David
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by pescidavid »

Not that I want to get shot down or be unpopular here but i think at this point I'd rather see Sum 41 separate than continue. Dave was one thing, but with Stevo gone thats half of the founding members of the band gone. It just seems silly to me to keep the same name and continue as if they are the same group after big changes like that. Not that they couldn't and i wouldn't be fine with that or anything. That'd be great, but I think at this point I'm more curious and interested in hearing solo stuff from Deryck. I wonder how different it would be. I'll always support Sum 41 but to me it just seems like they've run there course and that doesn't have to be a bad thing. It just wouldn't be even close to the same anymore, so why not call it quits for now and try something new. John Lennon said something to the degree of this when the Beatles broke up; It's not the end of the world, you'll always have the records to listen to if they really mean a lot to you. Nothing can take that away.
Some times great things need to end so better things can come.
Dáš
First name: Dasha

Post by Dáš »

Do you remember, when Fall Out Boy broke up? I think it's same. Pete has left band, cause he was father. Patrick start to do an solo project and Joe and Andy was in The Damned Things. Now they're back.
What's happen in Sum 41? Stevo is father, Deryck is working on songs, Tom has GOB and Cone (that saying his twitter) is working on new songs for The Operation M.D.
I think they will some day come back.
(sorry about my english)
:3
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Re:

Post by HugoDisasters »

Dáš wrote:Do you remember, when Fall Out Boy broke up? I think it's same. Pete has left band, cause he was father. Patrick start to do an solo project and Joe and Andy was in The Damned Things. Now they're back.
What's happen in Sum 41? Stevo is father, Deryck is working on songs, Tom has GOB and Cone (that saying his twitter) is working on new songs for The Operation M.D.
(sorry about my english)
I sure hope you are right!
But on the other hand, in what shape will SUM41 be?
It feels like they've lost a little of their steam for every year that has gone since Chuck (with a few exceptions of course).

Dáš
First name: Dasha

Re: Re:

Post by Dáš »

HugoDisasters wrote:
Dáš wrote:Do you remember, when Fall Out Boy broke up? I think it's same. Pete has left band, cause he was father. Patrick start to do an solo project and Joe and Andy was in The Damned Things. Now they're back.
(sorry about my english)
It feels like they've lost a little of their steam for every year that has gone since Chuck (with a few exceptions of course).
In what shape Sum41 will be, nobody knows.
We can only hope that it will be the good old crappy punk as before.
:3
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Re: Re:

Post by HugoDisasters »

Dáš wrote:
HugoDisasters wrote:
(sorry about my english)
In what shape Sum41 will be, nobody knows.
We can only hope that it will be the good old crappy punk as before.
Yeah, well said dude.
We need more of that shit.