Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Sum 41: Unpopular Opinions

Post by Gutter Dreams »

This is basically a topic to post your possibly unpopular opinions on anything the band/members did.
Like I think their show at the Orange Lounge in 2008 of 'With Me' was probably their best performance of the UH era.

Just try not to be assholes about this.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

-Sum 41 have never surpassed their live playing of the post-Chuck era.

-HHOP and AKNF suck. If SBM had been pop-punk and not hard rock I would probably no longer be a fan of this band.

-Sum 41 were never a punk band. Their primary influences were metal, which shines right through in all of their music, even their pop-punk stuff.
fuck this signature nonsense
BackWhereIBelong
First name: Pato

Post by BackWhereIBelong »

I still think that if Dave had never left, Sum 41 will still exist..
This time I've had enough
I'm on my own
But i am Back where I Belong
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

DTLI? and Chuck are the poorest albums. All the heavy songs sound like a pop punk band trying to cover metal stuff, just sounds weird. The instrumental parts are decent but Deryck's voice doesn't fit heavy stuff at all for me.

HHOP is close to their best, not many people seem to even listen to it.

I had a phase where I liked DTLI? and Chuck but these days I just miss the good ol' Sum 41 that I listened to on repeat when I first started getting into music.
UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by UltraKolby »

Reasons why Stevo left was cause of his kid and because Deryck was doing drugs of some sort and Stevo didn't want to be around it and see his best friend doing stuff that could hurt or maybe even kill him
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Writing as a band isn't their best side.
Deryck has way too much work on his own.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
I love Deryck
First name: elizabeth
Twitter: superSum41fan

Post by I love Deryck »

Not really about Sum 41 but, it seems like most people who like Sum 41 also like Blink 182, to me the singers voice is worse than the Bieber.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

Sum 41 doesn't do nearly as much "for the fans" as they think they do. They might have at one point, but since Chuck, they have been all talk.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

I think Chuck was the last real Sum 41 record. Everything wich came after that album doesn't feel like Sum 41. And I really love Screaming Bloody Murder, it's one of my favorite albums of all time.
I don't know what caused this (not dave's departure though since he didn't really had much to write apart from the solos) but it feels very very different.
All the other records up to Chuck were very different records aswell, but they all had that little bit of something wich made them recognizable as Sum 41 records.
bizzyd676
First name: Tone
Re: Sum 41: Unpopular Opinions

Post by bizzyd676 »

With all the technology and accessibility these days Sum 41 hardly does enough to keep fans happy

They should of had far more videos for their last album considering how cheap it is these days to produce them

After Sum 41 drops an album they pretty much disappear off the face of the internet

Deryck's unwillingness to cater to mainstream and work with the label probably has more to do with fear than independence

If they were half a serious as their music sounds about promo and media, they would be one of the top bands of our time

Deryck is an unparalleled song writer but a misguided producer at best
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

Sum 41 are super lazy at promotion and media-related work. e.g, they never actually officially announced their album as Screaming Bloody Murder. The name just leaked somehow along with the track listing, then Deryck mentioned it in an interview as if everyone knew about it, then suddenly the release dates were somewhere on the internet. Underclass Hero was similar, but they were able to make announcements on Myspace back then.

I couldn't agree more with Dylan and Ardi.

I have felt ever since after Chuck that Sum 41 have been trying to convey an image more than make great music. Underclass Hero was a choreographed fraud - a complete mess. Screaming Bloody Murder was based more around 'hey look, we're rock stars look at how rock and roll we can be', which resulted in zero promotion and zero shits given about the album cycle. Now they are without a label and founding member, and seemingly in limbo. They talk about 'oh we were on the road touring SBM for two years, time to take a break'. That never happened. Screaming Bloody Murder never got off the ground. There were plenty of small stop/start tours in succession but there was no real 'Screaming Bloody Murder World Headlining Tour', so to speak.

Last one: Steve left the band because he knows all these things. The band is a complete mess, and is in the control of the band member that has his shit together the least. Steve has a family to look out for these days and a career to nurture. I'm of the opinion that he didn't want to be around Deryck getting shit faced all the time hiding behind his fear of failure, and having to put his name to cancelled tours. So Steve left and now he's going to pursue a career on his own, and best of luck to him.

(real last one) Steve wasn't actually in a car accident years ago, there was some other (probably Deryck-related) incident and they made a half hearted attempt to cover it up.

I don't mean to annoy anyone with what I've posted here, they're only my opinions and to be honest, unless I was to meet the band members and they were to genuinely convince me that none of the above is true, I'm never going to believe otherwise. I'm almost twenty five now and have been following Sum 41 as my favourite band since I was twelve. I've been watching them fall apart and into obscurity for the past six and a half years and just because they say a few things on fan sites and in interviews it doesn't mean it's all true.

At the same time, they're always going to be my favourite band and I wish for nothing but good things for Deryck and the rest of the guys. I just think it's over, and that there have been too many excuses ever since the UH cycle began.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

This thread :suicide:
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re:

Post by Gregorovich »

Mitchell wrote:This thread :suicide:
I love how on GDA their 'unpopular opinions' thread consists of hundreds of posts of 'I think X is a really underrated song! :happy: ' while this thread is just like 'Sum 41 fucking suck.' Honestly, I prefer the latter. At least you guys are honest about how you feel about the band. In response to fergal41, I have to disagree with what you said about Screaming Bloody Murder. Yes, the whole album cycle was a complete mess, and this was partially down to the band itself, but the album itself wasn't an attempt to show the world 'look how rock 'n' roll we are'. It was by far the band's most musically and lyrically intricate and progressive album - it was an attempt by Deryck to be taken more seriously as a writer. This is only going to become more evident in the band's/Deryck's future work.
fuck this signature nonsense
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

I was very disappointed that they were actually pleased by their Grammy nomination... In that time, they were like:"Fuck everybody, fuck mainstream and all that shit." - But they failed to keep that attitude when they were actually nominated for one of the shittiest awards on earth.

It is true that their live shows kept decreasing in quality after the chuck era.
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I remember Deryck saying they were a well-oiled machine during the Chuck era and as a result became burnt out from the touring and the schedules. I kind of wish they would go back to being that machine. As cool as it was to be all, "fuck everything, do whatever we want, whenever we want" it obviously doesn't work out in the fans' favour. We have to wait three or four years for an album that could potentially only take two? The band seems so disorganized now and while I still enjoy their music, there's just too much down time.

Sure, they tour a lot, but they only (or mostly) play the hits/singles, which means they're not really eager to get the new stuff out to the fans, which means they're becoming one of those "nostalgia" bands where people go because "Hey, how awesome was Fat Lip back in the day?" One of the first things a band says when they're making an album is "We can't wait to play these songs for our fans." Sum 41 did it for a bit, but they totally disregarded any Screaming Bloody Murder from the Billy Talent shows. I guess I'm speaking strictly the recent tour dates with Billy Talent, but still, if I'm going to see a band I'm a fan of, I'm expecting to hear a bit of something from every album, unless the album was a pile of crap, which Screaming Bloody Murder was definitely not. Even Skumfuk would've sufficed for me.
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Re: Re:

Post by Gutter Dreams »

Gregorovich wrote:
Mitchell wrote:This thread :suicide:
I love how on GDA their 'unpopular opinions' thread consists of hundreds of posts of 'I think X is a really underrated song! :happy: ' while this thread is just like 'Sum 41 fucking suck.' Honestly, I prefer the latter. At least you guys are honest about how you feel about the band.
I didn't make this topic to be like a hate section or anything but it's a lot more interesting than just underrated songs.
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

I've been saying for a long time now that Deryck writes really cringe-worthy lyrics, and tries way too hard to rhyme. That's my comment in this section.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
Jeremy Kill
Re:

Post by Jeremy Kill »

withchappedlips wrote:I've been saying for a long time now that Deryck writes really cringe-worthy lyrics, and tries way too hard to rhyme. That's my comment in this section.
First thing I thought of when I read this was the last little bit of March of the Dogs. Reminded me of a limerick or poem some kid in grade 6 would write. :confused:
oliverskovgaard
First name: Oliver
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Bass
Twitter: oliverskovgaard

Post by oliverskovgaard »

I think Underclass Hero was Sum 41s best record. Didn't know it was an unpopular opinion till i read this thread. :devious: